Thread: Bespoke Shauxty Truck/MIL/HD Carbine Build Begins

Bespoke Shauxty Truck/MIL/HD Carbine Build Begins

In June 1978 I bought my first firearm as an adult in Redding CA. It was a Ruger 10/22 Carbine blued with a wood stock. I've shot more than 100K rounds thru it in the past 38 years.

Last year I created an NFA Trust using Silencerco's format, so my adult children could use my toys forever. First buy was a SiCo Harvester that has been used on a half dozen WT and a bobcat.

For my second pre-deadline trust stamp I wanted to do an SBR or SBS. The choices were a Colt's 6920, my old Narc 870 I bought after department traded it and the Ruger. The little guy won.

I'd put the .22 in a sweet RSI stock years ago but looked at the original and realized t was highly figured walnut!

Just got the NFA stamp back last week and my pard got be the original bbl trimmed and threaded just right. I plopped it in a newer beech stock to start shooting and will soon cut to 12.5 LOP for my grandsons training rifle.

Thinking premium refinish on the walnut, redo bluing on bbl or Cerakote all metal and flush sling cups on port side.

Be happy for some input from you worthies on custom touches.

Oh. Already put an XS .400 sight on front and a cool looking "ghost ring" of sorts.

Just a pic of front end for now.

Gimme some ideas, boys and girls.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  74.1 KB
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

P.S. MIL is for mother-in-law, not .mil though I believe Israel has used 10/22s for God's work...
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

If you are going to cut the length of pull on the stock, do a shotgun style buttpad or plate on it rather than the folded sheet Ruger original.

Here is a good example of what I mean. Very classy and understated, and won't cost much extra.
    http://www.treebonecarving.com/buttp...rearm-lug.html
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Shauxty V. 1

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    If you are going to cut the length of pull on the stock, do a shotgun style buttpad or plate on it rather than the folded sheet Ruger original.

Here is a good example of what I mean. Very classy and understated, and won't cost much extra.
    http://www.treebonecarving.com/buttp...rearm-lug.html
    Thank you for the link, Lex. That's exactly what I want to do with the walnut original stock, the beech one below will be shortened for my grandson to use as his first training rifle. If I get fancy I may dye it an interesting color and put on a slim sporting clay pad on the beech for the boy, or just saw it off and do a flip-flop pad on it.

This is the '78 Ruger next to my work 6933 out to first click on stock for size comparison.

Have a thread protector from a bull-barrel on it at moment (plan to have 3-prong or cone-style AR flash hider for truck gun use).

The short-tang Marble Arms Bullseye rear sight has the Steampunk look I wanted but hits too high at 25 yards in lowest position. There's a version that is just the double ghost rings sat down in the 3/8-th slot, but thinking I may just get a peep/Pic rail combo for practicality. Then use the Marble on my old 94 Trapper .30/30.

MODERATOR, PLEASE MOVE THIS TO NFA PAGE IF YOU LIKE. MY BAD!
    Name:  Comparison LE 6933 amd '78 Ruger.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  48.8 KB
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 06-07-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Cool. That little guy needs a silencer on it. A Silencerco Sparrow would be a nice small choice.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Got an Aviator already, but too many hosts. A SiCo Sparrow is on my to buy list, but kinda digging the idea of the Hybrid first for an excuse to SBR my 1895 Guide Gun.

User Tag List