Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experiments with Proctor Y and notch sights

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Thanks for the info. I've got a high round count 19 that has gotten pretty loose with age and can't match my Gen4 guns in terms of 25y bullseye accuracy. If the Wilson barrel works I may try one
    I have a KKM conventional G19 barrel and another with the compensator on it. FWIW, I tried to improve one of my G19s that was a bit loose and never showed me better than 4" 25 yard groups with its OEM barrel. Perfectly serviceable. The KKM didn't change it enough for me to measure. Then I dropped that barrel into a tight RTF2 G19 and it was pretty sick.

YMMV
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thanks for the info. I've got a high round count 19 that has gotten pretty loose with age and can't match my Gen4 guns in terms of 25y bullseye accuracy. If the Wilson barrel works I may try one
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I have a KKM conventional G19 barrel and another with the compensator on it. FWIW, I tried to improve one of my G19s that was a bit loose and never showed me better than 4" 25 yard groups with its OEM barrel. Perfectly serviceable. The KKM didn't change it enough for me to measure. Then I dropped that barrel into a tight RTF2 G19 and it was pretty sick.

YMMV
    Try changing ammunition weight. My one GEN4 G17 was a 3+" gun. I dropped a KKM barrel in it and saw a noticeable, but marginal, improvement with 115-grain; with 124-grain it will shoot <2" when I do my part.
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    Try changing ammunition weight. My one GEN4 G17 was a 3+" gun. I dropped a KKM barrel in it and saw a noticeable, but marginal, improvement with 115-grain; with 124-grain it will shoot <2" when I do my part.
    On this loose 19 I've tried all kinds of ammo. Best performance is with lighter loads like Fiocchi 115, although curiously Lawman 147 does surprisingly well. Typically hotter ammo opens up the groups and changes POI. My Gen4 gun doesn't seem to care what I feed it.

Mine was the same with the OEM barrel. The KKM barrel did not deliver a great deal of improvement until I shot 124-grain thru it. Food for thought...
    Last edited by Kevin B.; 06-23-2016 at 09:34 AM.
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    Mine was the same with the OEM barrel. The KKM barrel did not deliver a great deal of improvement until I shot 124-grain thru it. Food for thought...
    In my RTF2 G19, last Sunday's switch to 124 grain Lawman from the 115 Lawman cut my hand held group in HALF. Today I'll attempt to replicate that.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Interesting gentlemen (!), about the heavier rounds being more accurate. When I was comparing barrels I shot Ranger T 124+P to see what my carry ammo at the time did with the WC vs the stock barrel, and it was way more precise than the bulk stuff I compared it with, which may have been 115grain ammo. I just thought that it was due to the Rangers being better quality ammo. But maybe it was a bullet weight issue instead, or as well. The Ranger ammo groups where about half (!) the size that the bulk ammo was putting out.

Like the others intimated, I too wonder if a drop in barrel will be tight enough to make a big difference in a loose gun. Have you ever thought of getting a barrel fitted? Ultimately I don't know if that's worth it either, but it is a thought.

Here are two groups, shot at 25 yards, standing freestyle/two handed, using Ranger T 124r +P ammo, the first with the stock barrel, the second with the WC barrel. I think they are pretty representative of the difference in the groups. Strangely the stock barrel would give me more fliers, and the groups would spread more vertically, which is strange and I can't explain it.

with the WC barrel:

Last edited by DacoRoman; 06-23-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Like the others intimated, I too wonder if a drop in barrel will be tight enough to make a big difference in a loose gun. Have you ever thought of getting a barrel fitted? Ultimately I don't know if that's worth it either, but it is a thought.

Here are two groups, shot at 25 yards, standing freestyle/two handed, using Ranger T 124r +P ammo, the first with the stock barrel, the second with the WC barrel. I think they are pretty representative of the difference in the groups. Strangely the stock barrel would give me more fliers, and the groups would spread more vertically, which is strange and I can't explain it.

with the WC barrel:

That is one heck of a difference.

I'll keep the barrel on my to-do list. I love the trigger in my Gen3. One day I'll retire it to loaner/pinker status, but I want to squeeze more life out of it.

User Tag List