Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: This is just the beginning!

Sad to report that I didn't have a match yesterday. They didn't have it since it fell on Father's Day.

Back on dry fire tonight.

Wall Drills, 10 each 2h, sho and who

25 draws
    15 reloads
    15 reps of working on transitions
    50 draws

All of my journal so far has been done with my g19. At the end of my practice I decided to do some trigger presses with my g34. Last time I took it to the range I was horrible with it. I kept jerking shots. Well during my dry fire today with my 19 my presses were very clean and I wasn't jerking the trigger. The sights would stay on target. As soon as I switched to the 34 the sights jumped quite a bit. I cannot figure it out. Both are stock except the 19 has a ghost evo connector and the 34 has a Zev connector.

Maybe I've practiced so much with the 19 and become intimate with every aspect of that trigger. But it's disheartening to see that my work doesn't transfer between guns. Maybe it's in my head.

Other than that my dry fire went well. I find myself looking forward to doing it!

I worked out this morning. I'm going to try doing it before I go to work. I think it'll allow me to dry fire more since I'll have an extra 1.5 hrs in the evenings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not s glock guy, but isn't the grip of the 19 shorter? Could it be you are "milking" or squeezing the grip towards the bottom causing your sights to jump?
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I'm not s glock guy, but isn't the grip of the 19 shorter? Could it be you are "milking" or squeezing the grip towards the bottom causing your sights to jump?
    That is correct. I haven't thought of that but I will look into it. It's weird because I don't have the issue on my 26. Good catch.

I also identified a major weakness with my sights. My gun has stock night sights with the three white dots. I practiced in a very bright room yesterday and with a different target and the sights were washed out bad. I could hardly pick them up. I ordered the pro I dots and they can't get here soon enough.

I'm a couple days behind.

Yesterday I did about ten minutes of trigger presses with the 34. I focused on tightening my grip and it helped with the sights jumping.

Started a new workout at the gym. Was getting in a bit of a rut at the gym. My wife (masters in exercise science) designed me a new program designed on total body strength. I'm very sore today!

Today I went back to the trusty 19.

30 mins dry fire
    10 wall drill 2h, sho, who
    25 draws
    25 reloads
    30 draws

I've developed a case of Glock knuckle. Which, I didn't know was an actual term until i saw it in another thread. I googled it and was like wow, that's exactly what I have. It's made the last few dry fire sessions not so fun. It's finally starting to heal.

Dry fire tonight. 30 mins.

10 wall drill 2h,sho,who
    25 draws
    25 reloads
    15 draws
    10 transitions
    15 draws.

The following is my new workout regimen. I've decided to do more of a total body workout than focusing one day on 1-2 muscle groups. Writing it all in one post will allow me to reference the days in future posts so I don't have to write it out every day.

This workout was designed for an "occupational athlete"

Day 1:
    1) lunge curl press 4x5 8
    2) single leg kettle bell deadlift 4x 10
    3) bench press 4x10
    4) lying adduction 4x12
    5) pull-up 4xmax reps

6) core lower ab exercise 4 sets

Day 2:
    1) front squat 4x10
    2) dumbbell lunge 4x8
    3) lat pull down 4x10
    4) quad scorpion/fire hydrant 4x12
    5) triceps extension 4x12

6) core upper abs exercise 4 sets

Day 3:
    1) Front squat to push press 4x5
    2) military press 4x8
    3) lateral db lunge 4x12
    4) db front raise 4x12
    5) db bicep curl 4x12

6) core obliques exercise 4 sets

Okay let's see if I can remember everything from the past couple days.

Yesterday:
    Day 3 workout

Dry fire in the morning. I worked with my competition rig. Owb holster and g34.
    I followed week 1 of this program
    http://pistol-training.com/archives/5185

I then went to the range for live fire in the afternoon. I was determined to clear the dot torture with my g19.

Spoiler: I didn't. I shot 49/50

I was going great and when I got to the who portion I couldn't get the gun to stay steady. It was literally shaking. I think the nerves got to me bc That doesn't happen in dry fire. I think I'm going to try 5 yds next time. I definitely need to continue to work on one handed stuff.

I did the 3x5 drill again and did about the same as last time. Once again I was fine until 15 yards. Not making excuses but I couldn't see my sights very well. The whole three white dot setup is terrible and my new sights can't come in fast enough. To be clear, I didn't hit the card because of bad mechanics. But I became more aware of the hindrance my current sights are when I switched over to my g34 with tti sights. There is tons of daylight between the front and rear. There's very little with the stock night sights.

I worked on tracking the sights using the drill from this sight. I can't track them for crap. I see them bounce up, then I lose them, then I see them again as the start to settle.

I started off really well at the range but by the end I was kind of discouraged. I'm finding shooting has a very large mental component and I'm hard on myself. Sometime too hard. It pushes me to become better. I realize I post a lot of the negative things in my journal and I need to focus on the positives as well.

I tested some reloads and have settled on 146 grn fmj over 3.3 grn of titegroup.

Which leads me to today. I setup my powder dispenser and loaded up 25 rounds. This is my first true batch of reloads. Everything to this point has been test loads. I was shocked at how soft shooting my reloads were!

I took today off from working out and doing any dry fire. My body needs the rest. I'll be back at it tomorrow and I look forward to another week of growth.

My goal is to be better next Sunday than I am today!

Back logged a couple days again.

Monday was strength training "Day 1" of my workout regimen.

Tuesday was yoga, stretching and therapy exercises in the morning followed by

30 mins dry fire
    10 wall drill 2h, sho, who
    25 draws
    25 reloads
    30 draws

User Tag List