Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: This is just the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    Put in some dry fire work tonight. I have to be honest I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't started this journal. If you're on the fence about doing one, just take the plunge!!

Yesterday I got called into work so my afternoon got ruined. I planned on dry firing but that didn't happen. I had to stay late at work tonight then went to the gym. I am exhausted but I still made myself do some dry fire.

I did about 20 mins. Started with 10 reps of the wall drill
    10 slow draws
    10 draws at full speed but still focusing on fundamentals.
    I then worked on individual parts of the draw. Worked on just clearing the cover garmet and establishing grip. Then worked on just going from hand on gun to the meeting with the weak hand. Then I worked on press outs. I need a lot of work on the press out. It takes me too long to acquire the sights.

I then did ten reloads and then draw, fire, reload and fire (x10).

Finished with ten draws going as fast as I possibly could.

I really concentrated on reholstering very slow. I've developed a bad habit of rushing it.

I have so much to work on but I can say that I've dry fired the past week more times than I ever have before.

I hope it's the start of good things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome dude! A body in motion remains in motion! I gotta get mine going!

Incidentally I plugged my iPhone into my Howard Leight ear pro tonight at home and you can definitely hear the beep, and so the par time function ought to work well for indoor range use, so long as the noise generated by the guy shooting the rented .454 Casull and not hitting his target doesn't overwhelm the beep sound.
    edit: you do need to turn the ear pro on of course, but I didn't need to turn up the volume on the ear pro very much to hear the beep, instead I turned up the iPhone volume; however sometimes I do feel the need to wear soft plugs underneath, and it remains to be seen just how loud I need to turn up the cans in order to hear the beep
    Last edited by DacoRoman; 06-06-2016 at 09:05 PM.

No dry fire today either. I was really hoping to be able to put some in tonight.

I did do a workout at home consisting of core work and some of my physical therapy exercises.

Hopefully tomorrow I can dry fire. This has been the most physically demanding week of work I've had in awhile. But no excuses. I need to make time for it.

Dry fire tonight!

Did 20 minutes working on the draw and reloads.

Started with ten wall drills. Things seemed to really click today and I was finding the sights better than usual.

I wanted to write a post about my current gear. Not that anyone cares what I use, but I hope if someone newer than me is looking for gear they can find some honest reviews.

Early in my aiwb journey I used a sticky holster. I then transitioned to a local kydex maker who made an aiwb holster. It was really just a straight drop holster. My search for a great holster actually led me to pistol forum where I discovered jm custom kydex. At the time I purchased one for my xds and loved it. I then purchased a g19 and a gracious forum member sold me a shaggy for it. While I liked it, I wanted a jm aiwb. After a year or so I finally got one a few months ago. His stuff is top notch. I also have a jm appendix mag carrier. It conceals fantastic but it rides extremely low.

Recently I had seen a lot of people raving about the trex arms sidecar. I bought one on a whim. I plan on doing a further review in a few more weeks once I get more time carrying it. I'm very torn on it right now. The JM aiwb is perfect so I'm not sure why I bought it.

In short, I have a jm custom kydex aiwb holster made for a g19. I also carry my 26 in it as well. It absolutely disappears on my body.

I have a jm custom kydex mag carrier that's angled and a straight drop f3 iwb mag carrier.

I have a trex arms sidecar made for a g19. It has a mag pouch attached so I have to carry an extra mag with it.

If you would like an honest review of any of these products please let me know. I spent my hard earned money searching for the perfect holster. Sadly I've found a lot of "reviewers" get sponsored by the holster makers or they get sent them for free.

Also, Did some core work today. My work week from hell is over and I plan on doing some dry fire tomorrow. Looking forward to reporting back.

I also have been following a lot of Mike seeklanders stuff. I recently finished his book, "your defensive handgun training program". I also joined his American Warrior Society where he has put all of his resources including training videos.

I was able to do about ten minutes of dry fire tonight after all!

I didn't do anything with the holster. I just worked on gripping the handgun as hard as I could without the sights shaking. I had heard Stoeger say that your hands should be tired after dry fire because of how hard you grip the gun. That's definitely the case!
    I did the following:
    10 reps wall drill
    10 right hand reps
    10 left hand reps
    10 press outs
    10 target transitions (first one pulling trigger, the rest I simulate on a dead trigger)

I've really been trying to grip the gun harder in dry fire. I've noticed that sometimes I hold it very loosely.

30 minutes dry fire today.
    I totaled around 75 total draws and 25 reloads.
    I practiced some micro drills I picked up from some other training drills. Oddly, I struggled pausing in the draw and reload process. I've never practiced like that. I typically will do it in one motion or work on segments.

I started off very smooth for me but towards the end I was fumbling with the cover garment and getting a good grip. One thing I've noticed is I tend to relax and grip the gun very loosely on the draw.

This may have been my longest dry fire session ever. I took some slow motion video with my phone and it showed me some areas to really work on.

It seems overwhelming! There's so much I need to correct. I can tell since I've started this journal I'm getting smoother and faster. It's all about taking steps forward.

I also did some strength training at the gym today, chest and biceps. I'm starting to put some weight back on. Before my injury I was about 220 and working out 6 days a week. I dropped down below 180 at one point and I am back up to 190 now. I need to get my diet back to eating more consistently.

30 mins dry fire today. I didn't do any reloads, I just worked on the draw, presentation and trigger press. I used my jm custom kydex holster today. I'm done with the trex arms sidecar. I really regret buying it. Maybe I can sell it and get some money back.

My draw is getting better but I still fumble around too much.

Doing some core work later tonight. It's been a very productive weekend for me in dry fire.

This is just the beginning!

I was able to do about 10 minutes of dry fire. It wasn't much but I know it's better than 0 minutes. Did some wall drills, draws and reloads. Still having issues establishing the grip. It's very inconsistent. I guess I'm rushing it. No exercise today for me. Just some stretching. My body is quite sore today.

Also I'm planning on shooting a match this weekend! Going to see if all this dry fire is actually paying off.

Last edited by 1776United; 06-13-2016 at 07:13 PM.

Dry fire today! I totaled around 30 mins of dry fire. Worked on the draw, reloads and some wall drills.

I did 50 total draws and 25 reloads. I found by lowering the gun "work zone" a few inches my reloads went smoother and seemed faster.

Towards the end I decided to use a timer to see where I was at. I had stopped using one because I find myself only competing with the timer and my shots weren't accurate. Well the same thing happened today, as soon as I used the timer my draw became crap. I was fumbling around and not getting a good grip on the gun and then squeezing the trigger with a horrible sight picture. So I put the timer back up.

Off to do some stretching/therapy exercises. I worked out legs yesterday and I'm very sore.

Match is on Sunday. It's a conceal carry match at my local range. I can carry appendix for it so I'm hoping my work the past few weeks shows.

More dry fire this morning. About 30 minutes total

10 each 2h, sho, wall drills.
    25 draws,
    25 reloads
    50 draws

I really tried to push the pace on speed today. I would push the limits until I was going too fast then back off and push the pace again. I had a few draws that were so quick and smooth that I almost didn't believe it.

Continuing to work on reloads. Maybe I'm trying to go too fast.

Here's a video of one of my reloads. It was a middle of the pack reload. I fumbled getting the magazine from the pouch a little. Oddly, I found the less I look at the gun the insertion of the magazine goes smoother. I also realized I'm looking at the gun way too much during reloads.