Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: This is just the beginning!

This is just the beginning!

I want to start this training journal for many reasons.
    -Accountability, transparency and inspiration to name a few.

It's easy to pretend like you are something you are not on the Internet. I want to put myself out there. I'm just an amateur. My journey with firearms has been unique. I first shot a handgun about 3 years ago. A few months later I purchased my first handgun. I wasn't really serious about training. Heck I wasn't serious about practicing. I had shoulder surgery a few months later, which sidelined me from shooting. During that time I watched a lot of videos and discovered Internet gun forums. I started dry firing a little and was starting to really get into guns. Then I had major back surgery, which has been a huge hurdle. I only got released to start shooting about six months ago. I've been getting more and more serious as the months have passed. I've really only been actually shooting for about a year and a half. I had to take a lot of time off for surgeries.

I still deal with daily back pain so I can't shoot and train near as much as I like. One day I hope that will change.

My journal will include my workouts and rehab as well as my shooting journey.

I ask all of you to help me and offer advice.

I hope this will keep me accountable. I've committed myself to consistently doing dry fire.

I'm not going to pretend to be something I'm not. I'm not a grandmaster. Heck I'm probably D class. But I hope to look back in a few years and will realize this journal was a turning point in my training.

Feel free to give advice and criticism. I'm going to start pouring through other journals to get good ideas for dry fire and live fire drills.

Glad to see you made a journal man! Look forward to reading it!!
    i used to wannabe

I did some dry fire tonight. Third night in a row! For me that's a lot.

I did about 20 minutes of presentation from appendix. I probably should start counting reps but it went like this

5 mins of draws. Started slow and progressed.
    5 mins of working on presentations
    5 mins of reloads
    5 mins of draws trying to push the pace but focusing on technique.

I've been focusing way too much on speed and my fundamentals have suffered. Last range session was horrible. I'm hoping to make it to the range tomorrow and redeem myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is just the beginning!

Live fire day today. It was my first time at the range in 3 weeks. I'm trying to go at least every other week but last time I went I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I was flinching and pulling shots a foot low and left. I realized I had been going for speed too much in dry fire. I made a point to dry fire a lot the past two weeks.

It seemed to pay off. At least in the beginning. Everything today was shot with my g19.
    I started with a warmup of 15 rounds. 1 dry fire (df) then 1 live fire (lf). 2 df then 2 lf. Kept doing this until I did 5 df and 5 lf. Totals 15 rounds and really focused on the fundamentals.

I then did the 3x5 drill and was really surprised with how well I did. I kept all shots on the card until 15 yards. I tried twice at 15 yards. The first time I got 4/5 and the second 3/5.

I then did Mike seeklanders extend prep and press drill. I was the only one at the indoor range and was actually able to use a timer. This was my first time ever using a timer during live fire and I let it get into my head. I really pushed myself too much competing with the clock. My first two shots I never even saw the sights. Somehow they were still a zone hits. I would tell myself to calm down and then I would start hitting. Then I would start rushing and have to calm down. It was a battle. Here's the target after the extend prep and press.

I then worked on reloads. I would fire three to the body, reload from slide lock and three to the head. I did this 7 times. I was kinda all over on this.

As you can see my shots all stay left of center. This was a big improvement from last time. I just got a ced700 timer and it wasn't working right. I finally figured out the sensitivity was messed up. It was recording too many shots so my time wasn't really accurate. It humbled me to see how slow I was. I can only compare myself to myself tho!

Great thing about this journal is transparency. I'm posting all of it. The good and bad!

Edit: the stuff on the bottom right is from the 3x5 drill and also some reloads I tested.

Last edited by 1776United; 06-04-2016 at 01:18 PM.

Congratulations on this and it looks like you are progressing well!

I've been telling myself that I should start a journal for like 5 years , but I haven't because I've been notorious with my binge training and not training regularly.. but that there's a problem thread and seeing good people like you starting journals are finally pushing me over the edge. Did I mention that I have a really busy/stressful job and I'm an older dad with a 3 year old? No excuses right?

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Congratulations on this and it looks like you are progressing well!

I've been telling myself that I should start a journal for like 5 years , but I haven't because I've been notorious with my binge training and not training regularly.. but that there's a problem thread and seeing good people like you starting journals are finally pushing me over the edge. Did I mention that I have a really busy/stressful job and I'm an older dad with a 3 year old? No excuses right?
    Thanks! You should do it! I really slack on my training. Sometimes I'll dry fire 3 days in a row and sometimes I'll go a week without doing any dry fire. Between work, stuff around the house and spending time with my wife I tend to make excuses. Then some days I physically don't feel up to it. I'm hoping to contribute to this thread at least every other day. Writing stuff down holds you accountable. It's like when people are on a diet. They think they're not eating too many bad calories, fat, sugar etc. As soon as they make a food log they realize how bad their diet is.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    Thanks! You should do it! I really slack on my training. Sometimes I'll dry fire 3 days in a row and sometimes I'll go a week without doing any dry fire. Between work, stuff around the house and spending time with my wife I tend to make excuses. Then some days I physically don't feel up to it. I'm hoping to contribute to this thread at least every other day. Writing stuff down holds you accountable. It's like when people are on a diet. They think they're not eating too many bad calories, fat, sugar etc. As soon as they make a food log they realize how bad their diet is.

Very true. The other thing is I'm starting to realize that 50-100rnds per week is better then 300-400 once a month, even if those 50-100 per week are at the indoor range where one is forced to shoot from low/high ready largely without a timer. And yeah I also highly agree with dry fire at least 3 times per week. I may also try plugging my iPhone into my active ear pro and using the par time function on a shot timer app. in lieu of being able to measure actual shot times. E.g. Set par time = time of presentation from high/low ready to on target + (split times x shots). One then can do drills under time pressure, like The Test, Bill Drills, etc. if your range allows rapid fire. I'll b using par times for dry fire as well. Anyway happy and safe shooting and I'll get out of your journal now!

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Very true. The other thing is I'm starting to realize that 50-100rnds per week is better then 300-400 once a month, even if those 50-100 per week are at the indoor range where one is forced to shoot from low/high ready largely without a timer. And yeah I also highly agree with dry fire at least 3 times per week. I may also try plugging my iPhone into my active ear pro and using the par time function on a shot timer app. in lieu of being able to measure actual shot times. E.g. Set par time = time of presentation from high/low ready to on target + (split times x shots). One then can do drills under time pressure, like The Test, Bill Drills, etc. if your range allows rapid fire. I'll b using par times for dry fire as well. Anyway happy and safe shooting and I'll get out of your journal now!
    That is a great idea with the iPhone! I have the Howard Leight electronic ear pro and it has a headphone jack. That will be perfect! Great idea!

My range doesn't have any signs about rapid fire and I've never gotten in trouble for it. I'm working on getting a membership to the local gun club where I could draw from the holster and run whatever drills I want. That will be a huge turning point in my training.

To this point I've only live fired from my holster a few times at a match. My local range holds a conceal carry match that allows appendix carry. My draw was like 4 seconds because I was being so careful. It was a huge eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    That is a great idea with the iPhone! I have the Howard Leight electronic ear pro and it has a headphone jack. That will be perfect! Great idea!

My range doesn't have any signs about rapid fire and I've never gotten in trouble for it. I'm working on getting a membership to the local gun club where I could draw from the holster and run whatever drills I want. That will be a huge turning point in my training.

To this point I've only live fired from my holster a few times at a match. My local range holds a conceal carry match that allows appendix carry. My draw was like 4 seconds because I was being so careful. It was a huge eye opener.

I hope the idea with the iPhone works out. I will try to get out to the range this week and try this out, but you may very well beat me to it, so please let me know how it works. Happy and Safe training!

Put in some dry fire work tonight. I have to be honest I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't started this journal. If you're on the fence about doing one, just take the plunge!!

Yesterday I got called into work so my afternoon got ruined. I planned on dry firing but that didn't happen. I had to stay late at work tonight then went to the gym. I am exhausted but I still made myself do some dry fire.

I did about 20 mins. Started with 10 reps of the wall drill
    10 slow draws
    10 draws at full speed but still focusing on fundamentals.
    I then worked on individual parts of the draw. Worked on just clearing the cover garmet and establishing grip. Then worked on just going from hand on gun to the meeting with the weak hand. Then I worked on press outs. I need a lot of work on the press out. It takes me too long to acquire the sights.

I then did ten reloads and then draw, fire, reload and fire (x10).

Finished with ten draws going as fast as I possibly could.

I really concentrated on reholstering very slow. I've developed a bad habit of rushing it.

I have so much to work on but I can say that I've dry fired the past week more times than I ever have before.

I hope it's the start of good things.

User Tag List