Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The pocket 9mm craze

Hey Todd why don't you scam a PPS and do the AFHF torture test thing? I kinda' like that little gun too.

On an average day. I am not that happy with my performance with regular sized pistols, so I don't see me getting a less shootable pistol, in any caliber.
    BUG presents more logistic problems to me than any perceived benefits.

On a separate note, while I've not owned a PPS, I've tested one extensively. It is a neat pistol, but I don't see it being pocket-carried.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    It is a neat pistol, but I don't see it being pocket-carried.
    It works great with a desantis superfly:

Holds it securely, even with an 8 round magazine, and one in the chamber too.

My concealed carry needs are well served by full and/or compact platforms, such as the Glock G17/G19/G21. With a good (read effective in both concealment, deployment and comfort aspects) holster and belt, I haven't found much need or justification to go any smaller than a G19.

My personal, unscientifically tested opinion is that there are inevitable compromises inherent to the micro guns (such as durability, longevity, accuracy, sights, ease in reloading) that mitigate against my use of them.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    It works great with a desantis superfly:

Holds it securely, even with an 8 round magazine, and one in the chamber too.
    Yes, I am sure it can be concealed in a pocket, but to me it feels a bit too large for this mode of carry. When somebody says "pocket pistol", I think along the lines of Seecamp, Rohrbaugh, LCP etc. I think PPS is about pound and a half loaded; for my preferences, it is a bit too much for a pocket carry.

I love the idea of the mini 9mm. Sadly, the last time I tried one (Kel-tec PF-9), I did not have such a good time of it. I fired one shot, and then carefully put the gun down. Freaking Owwww! Most painful thing I've ever fired in my life.

Needless to say, I no longer own that gun- went for a S&W 64 instead. It's kind of hard to be proficient with a gun you can't stand to shoot.

I carried a Kahr PM9 for a few months..and besides pocket/ankle carry it really wasn't any better than my 26.
    Chemist.

I bought a PM9 for moments like right now.
    Home from work, already fed and showered, lounging around in shorts and a T-shirt.
    PM9 in my pocket.
    That's what a micro pistol does better than a compact like the Glock 26, or P2KSk.

I don't understand the pocket pistol thing either. I have fired the Khar PM9 and Walther PPS and thought they were both neat pistols, but I just don't see what they get me as far as concealability that my M&P9C doesn't.

Many of my coworkers with CCW licenses carry the LCP as their primary, and one fellow carries an Airweight S&W .38. They all believe they are incapable of concealing anything larger than this. They were shocked when I lifted my T-shirt and revealed an my M&P9C in an MTAC carried at 2:00.

Recently at an informal office trip to the local indoor range I asked these guys to have the pistol in their primary CCW configuration, and at the buzzer land 4 shots onto a 3"x5" card at 5 yards. Most of the times were in the 10 - 20 second range for the first round fired, one guy managed to get a shot off in < 3 second though, however NO ONE was able to land 4 out of the 6 or 7 rounds (LCP) or 5 (Bodyguard) in the weapon on the target. It was eye opening to me, yet it seemed to not even phase most of the guys. My one buddy who managed to get the shot off in 3 seconds was concerned, and we had a long talk about concealing "compact" and "subcompact" double stack service caliber pistols. I think he saw the light and has since begun practicing more with his .40 USP and ordered a quality IWB holster. He is totally geeked out with my new P30.

I think this test reflects most of the CCW permit holders out there these days sadly. I really just don't understand what is so hard about concealing a G19 sized pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by WBower View Post
    Many of my coworkers with CCW licenses carry the LCP as their primary, and one fellow carries an Airweight S&W .38. They all believe they are incapable of concealing anything larger than this. They were shocked when I lifted my T-shirt and revealed an my M&P9C in an MTAC carried at 2:00.
    If you have 16 minutes of your life to waste on "learning" more about the rationale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4CuHBro1ek

For the record, nutnfancy is pretty much your stereotypical mall ninja type. He loves Glocks because they can accept 33 round magazines which he equates with "superior firepower", yet lambasts compact guns as useless and tells everyone they should carry pocket pistols instead. This video is particularly hilarious to me given he holds up a USPc as an example of a gun that "nobody is going to take with them" when it's a gun I've carried daily without issue for going on 3 years now.

At any rate, the micro craze is largely driven by people like this, as well as the people who are unfortunate enough to listen to them. Think about how many people whose only source of information about guns is their half-crazy uncle or the "expert" behind the gun counter at their local shop.

Unfortunately, many of the purchasing decisions that drive market demand aren't really based on good information.

User Tag List