Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The pocket 9mm craze

The pocket 9mm craze

We are seeing more and more of these come out. Keltecs, Sigs, Walther (my pick!), even Kimber.

What are your thoughts on this? Personally, I'm pretty happy with my Glock 19 in AWIB. But the Walther PPS 9mm is tempting. I've owned one once before and it ran well, just not with cheap range ammo.

I've found myself fascinated with the PPS for a while as well. I just dig single stack 9mms for whatever reason.

But, like you, I'm happy enough with standard double stack compacts that I can't come close to justify spending $700 on a marginally smaller gun. I've yet to run into a situation short of a swimming pool where I couldn't conceal a USPc.

Site Supporter
    I would be really interested in a tiny (close to LCP size) 9mm that worked well. However, I'm not even sure if this is possible. Most of the single stack nines that are out are too big for me to comfortably pocket carry, and I don't see any advantage to carrying a lower capacity, slightly smaller gun in a belt holster.

I have a couple Kahr 9mms that have treated me well. They don't get nearly enough trigger time as my everyday gun but I find them easy to shoot and reliable. One of them, an E9 which I purchased in 1998 and they don't make anymore, is like a Timex. It has been completely abused riding in a coat pocket, fanny pack, even on dirt bike trail rides and keeps on running. Not all Kahrs have that great a reputation but I am impressed with this one.

The Walther PPS intrigues me. A friend bought one for his wife recently (with her approval) and she really likes it. We took it to the range and shot about a dozen mags of reloads, WWB, and Hornady defense ammo without any issues. While not a huge test it was impressed me because I have seen a ton of issues with ladies and polymer or alloy framed guns even with the small Glocks and Sigs. The biggest issue is their grip which induce failures due to limp wristing. While this gal shoots fairly regularly, she typically uses a revolver, and her auto grip was not that great.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I've yet to find a "micro" capable of running, let alone with a 9mm. Some will attest to the Kahr PM9 reliability, but you'll also find just as many stating the opposite. For me, the smallest trustworthy pistol falls in line with the P2000SK and G26. The PPS is also promising, but the one I had experienced issues and was quickly sold.

We are diminished
    Reliability and durability issues aside, the micro-9 class of guns is primarily going to appeal to two groups:

• LEOs looking for a major caliber BUG tht is flatter, easier to conceal, and easier to shoot than a snubbie revolver.
    • CCWers who, through circumstance or ignorance, believe that it's the biggest gun they can carry concealed.

i've handled a PPS and wasnt too fond of the grip or size, its almost too thin to hold comfortably and too tall since it had to stretch vertically to still get capacity. i did like the pm9 for size and it shot smooth. i dont pocket carry so i still think a g26 is a good all around practical gun and cheaper than the pm9.

My PPS, after a trip back to S&W for a fluff and buff, has been good with range ammo. It is fine with 95gr cor-bon dpx, just not with 124 gr dpx (they did NOT work well at all). I'll be trying some RA9T realllly soon.

The reasons I bought it:
    -it may be that my blade-tech holster for my FNP9 doesn't fit my body well... but it is painful and hard to conceal.
    -I have a 3 year old. Having him climb on you while shoe shopping will test ANY gun's concealability
    -I work at a very fuzzy happy museum. 80% of my co-workers are women over 50 that have been dedicated to liberal arts and antiques their entire life.
    -I'm their top technical person in IT. That means that sometimes I need to be the person to go look at the director of curatorial's PC, and that means crawling in some odd positions. Not good for normal concealability.
    -it's a good backup gun to the FNP if I go to philly and want double-coverage.
    -I couldn't find a weapon holster with a light that the FNP would fit well, so the FNP would keep the TLR-2 in the biosafe, and the PPS would be carried in a pocket or IWB holster.

My RCS Phantom with light for my PPS should fix 80% of those.

After some recent discussion here, I think about getting the Phantom, being able to CCW the FNP well at work. And moving to it exclusively. At which point I'll get a glock 17 or 19 or P30 and make it the new exclusive platform, once I can prove to myself I can conceal it well enough.

I'm sick of them, a few months ago Ruger made a big stink over "The next gun you HAD to have", "Ruger has done it again" and being a farily large fan of Ruger I was thinking it was going to be something like a 1911 or a new caliber, etc. Then they announce it's another mini-plastic 9mm pocket pistol.

Not everyone who carries has to do so in a deep conceal or discreet manner. Some of us carry OWB or open carry and it would be nice to see some new innovations or variants in full-scale handguns. In the end I guess it's easier and cheaper to squeeze plastic in reduced scale than it is to work in metal or full scale.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Not everyone who carries has to do so in a deep conceal or discreet manner. Some of us carry OWB or open carry
    Oh, I wish!

and it would be nice to see some new innovations or variants in full-scale handguns.
    P30, gen 4 glocks, M&P, FNX, XD...

Ok, so they're not 'different', but it seems there is a stream of new full size pistols that doesn't slow much. And I am sure a new XD with changeable side-panels will be coming along soon.

User Tag List