Thread: 223 3 gun long range load?

223 3 gun long range load?

I will be pulling the trigger on the Hornady 55 FMJBT for 250 yards and in but need something for 300 to 600 yards. Should I just go to the 77 grain pills and skip the 69s. What is a good projectile that will get the job done without being $300 / 1000.
    The two rifles that I shoot: 1 in 7 and 1 in 8 for twist rates.
    Considering the new Sierra TMK or Berger but the pricing on the Nose CC seems much better.

I'd go with 77gr. Here's my load:
    77 gr Berger OTM
    24 gr IMR 8208 XBR
    Length: 2.264-2.265 in
    Primer: CCI #450 (SR Mag) (= CCI#41)
    Velocity: 2782 fps (18” barrel)
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I just bought factory Hornady 75gr BTHP match when I needed long range accuracy (at Ft Benning 3G) but I think we only shot out to 450. I never left one of those plates behind without hitting it. I was using a 1/8 Rock River stainless 16" Wylde chambered barrel. If I needed extra shots it was my fault not the loads or rifle.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I just bought factory Hornady 75gr BTHP match when I needed long range accuracy (at Ft Benning 3G) but I think we only shot out to 450. I never left one of those plates behind without hitting it. I was using a 1/8 Rock River stainless 16" Wylde chambered barrel. If I needed extra shots it was my fault not the loads or rifle.
    I use the same bullet but loaded by Aysm. Very nice.

User Tag List