Page 39 of 76 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Journal

Mid 40s in Arizona is dead of winter cold! Brrrrrr
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

We are in hunting mode, hoping to get out caribou and brown bear hunting soon. Out flying ridges this morning. This is the first place we went.

It is a place we have caribou hunted previously. My wife saw this bull caribou right after she landed.

Name:  P1020931.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  44.6 KB

Seems like there are always rocks to be picked to improve the landing area. Astro thinks rocks are big fun.

Name:  P1020937.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  99.0 KB

Name:  P1020938.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  59.2 KB

Here is another landing spot, kind of rough and short.

Name:  P1020942.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  89.2 KB

Astro is like "dad, how come we have to go back in the plane so soon!"

Name:  P1020947.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  83.3 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Great pics as always.

Just curious -- do you hunt brown bears to put up meat? In Alaska do you have to be careful about trichinosis?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Great pics as always.

Just curious -- do you hunt brown bears to put up meat? In Alaska do you have to be careful about trichinosis?
    With black bear, AK law is you must salvage the meat or hide. With brown bears, just the hide, although some native folks eat brown bear meat. In the area we caribou hunt, you can harvest two brown bears a year, as they want the population controlled.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    With black bear, AK law is you must salvage the meat or hide. With brown bears, just the hide, although some native folks eat brown bear meat. In the area we caribou hunt, you can harvest two brown bears a year, as they want the population controlled.
    Ah, gotcha.

This is one of my favorite threads, and I always look forward to seeing the updates.

Yesterday, we headed out to the ridges, caribou and bear hunting. However, when we got out there, there was enough unforecast wind, that we couldn't operate safely. Spent a few hours flying and came back to the cabin tail between our legs. Actually glad it worked out that way, as we would have been there today, when the wind started really blowing this afternoon. Watching your plane, which is your ride home, blow in the wind, attached to the ridge only by a few duck bill anchors is no fun.

A few days ago, as we made an approach to a mountain top LZ, I felt a draft, looked back and the rear left door of the helicopter was open, with our dog on the opposite side as far away from the open door as possible. We think she got up, looking as we approached and put paw pressure on the wrong part of the handle, causing the door to open. All sorts of bad could have come from that including no more Astro, or a jacket blown out and into the tail rotor. New plan is all loose gear but the rifles in the rear baggage and a harness to secure the dog.

Name:  P1020983.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  78.9 KB

Mindful of wind slated to hit this afternoon, we went out for a quick ridge hike this morning, careful to operate in the air that would be up flowing with the forecast wind direction. Standard plan, hike up hill for 45 minutes to an hour, and work our way back down.

Name:  P1020956.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  100.6 KB

We had good sight lines for most of the hike, and Astro took advantage of them, ranging 1,000 or more yards each direction, chasing parka squirrels and ptarmigan. On the way back to the helicopter, we came upon a past prime, but still big blueberry patch, and picked enough berries for a pie.

Name:  P1020973.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  P1020975.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  102.6 KB

We made it back to the cabin, ahead of the wind by 90 minutes, and it has been blowing hard ever since, and will likely continue to, through tomorrow.

Hammertime
    How many aircraft do you keep at the cabin? I am currently counting three.

I assume that means some shuttle runs when you lock it up for the season?

Enel, lots of logistics in AK!

Hardest part of hunting here is often the weather. Deep 967 mb low influencing us now, with gusts to 76 and 87 knots at places on the coast not too far from us.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  44.5 KB

George, what's your personal crosswind limit for the Cubs? (Always assuming you can't find an adequate upwind takeoff/approach?)

I like those big tires.
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 09-05-2017 at 09:19 AM.

User Tag List