Page 36 of 76 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Journal

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I just saw a momma and three baby skunks climbing out of the storm drain in our parking lot here in Houston.
    I call those SERTs. Self Erecting Rifle Targets
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I call those SERTs. Self Erecting Rifle Targets
    I think you pretty much need to destroy the brain stem to keep them from making a smelly mess. Good marksmanship challenge.

But mid-size rodents also keep the populations of bugs and smaller rodents down, and these don't bother anything or anyone. There's a big, open field next door with a patch of trees in it, which is where they went.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I think you pretty much need to destroy the brain stem to keep them from making a smelly mess. Good marksmanship challenge.

But mid-size rodents also keep the populations of bugs and smaller rodents down, and these don't bother anything or anyone. There's a big, open field next door with a patch of trees in it, which is where they went.
    Well, when you own chickens, skunks tend to be a predator
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Been watching a BBC Documentary "Life Below Zero" on Netflix.
    The underlying fatalism in this show is pretty jarring. Everyone is like, "Yeah, I can die at pretty much any moment."
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Well, when you own chickens, skunks tend to be a predator
    Omnivorous little beasts. Yep, they'll eat anything.

That video posted is amazing. Momma with her two cubs right in front of you & then following you ? A nightmare scenario. That guy showed some level headed calm. I wonder if the bears walked off the trail. How did it all end with the bears on the beach ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

We decided to head up and explore in the Revelation Mountains today. The "Revs" are a sub range of the Alaska Range, and known for being remote with difficult alpine climbing. Here is some on the Revs:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revelation_Mountains

The Revs are about 135 nautical north of our cabin, and we topped off on gas, and brought 18 gallons of extra Jet A in the baggage compartment of the helicopter. The plan was enjoy the countryside on the way up, much of which lies in Lake Clark National Park, and then park on a shoulder and hike back in for a few hours. Twenty miles south of our area, we saw a grizzly sow with three young cubs, somewhat unusual, as we normally see just one or two.

Here is where we parked, and the plan was to hike up the terrace behind the tail rotor.

Name:  IMG_2191.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  64.5 KB

We followed a bear trail, that wound its way up, first through patches of ripe blueberries, then amongst gorgeous flowers.

Name:  P1020807.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  P1020802.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  93.5 KB

It seemed like each time we topped a hill, there was another we couldn't see from below.

Name:  IMG_2200.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  68.9 KB

At our turn around spot, we had a snack and glassed for sheep. Our dog had been running non-stop the whole way up, and was pretty happy her humans had brought water and her bowl along.

Name:  P1020816.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  99.7 KB

On the way down, we saw pieces of old caribou antlers.

Name:  P1020810.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  78.8 KB

It had warmed up to the mid-70's by the time we got back down to the ship, and with the bugs AWOL, we could have done this hike in shorts.

Name:  P1020800.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  38.9 KB

On the flight out, we saw a lake that looked really short for floats, but that appeared to have a cache of stuff on the shore. We circled to look, and realized that the "cache" was really the wreckage of a floatplane, confirming our thought about the size of the lake! Ninety minutes of flying, and we were back to our cabin.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Name:  IMG_1046.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  28.4 KB

My daughter's car after five days on the road with two of them on the Alaskan Highway. The dirt is mostly Canadian and nope I didn't declare it. What you can't see is the thousands of splatterecbugs on the front grill.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Been watching a BBC Documentary "Life Below Zero" on Netflix.
    We are officially hooked on this show. That lady Sue is a BAMF.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    We are officially hooked on this show. That lady Sue is a BAMF.
    She is a PITA. Didn't want my dog at her camp, when we were getting fuel on the way to sheep hunting in the Brooks Range, because it might scare her foxes. Then the next year, because it might scare her new dog. I think she is just anti-Vizsla!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List