Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Journal

Is the moose activity in your town unusually high this year? I've seen pics and heard that on post (JBER) around Anchorage they are seeing a bunch in the housing neighborhoods.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Great thread. Appreciate the info and pics.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Is the moose activity in your town unusually high this year? I've seen pics and heard that on post (JBER) around Anchorage they are seeing a bunch in the housing neighborhoods.

Seems like a normal amount of activity down our way, but it would only take one bad moose to change my assessment.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Cold morning, mid 30's at our cabin, which sits only at about 200 feet MSL. No frost, so we got an early start flying.

First place we landed, Charlie had to shoo a small band of caribou off the landing spot. They then hung around as we made a few more take offs and landings there. Just cows, no big bulls.

Headed south towards the lake, and only ten miles of distance brought a totally different bit of weather, where there was 15 knots gusting out of the east. Here is a dried up lake bed that we land, that is only a short hike to a rainbow and salmon stream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuZ6IZ9yzcc

Sent from my iPad

While we have plenty of hiking at our cabin, it doesn't offer much vertical. For that, we need to go by boat or aircraft to the surrounding mountains. While we planned to head back to town this afternoon, we decided to go hiking this morning. This is what it looked like, heading back into the terrain.

And, on approach to the lake we were headed to for the hike.

A great spot we have hiked at previously. Last year, there was a large boar grizzly hanging on the northeast corner, and a sow grizzly with two cubs on the southwest end of the lake.

The deal is to leave the float plane and just hike up hill.

On the way up, we stumbled on a nest of just hatched ptarmigan chicks.

Mom had taken off, trying to lure our bird dog away -- you can see her near a rock pile on the left side of the picture.

More fun Vizsla play.

and then time to head downhill to the float plane.

The wind was picking up by the time we got down, making the departure a little more sketchy. Quick flight back to our cabin, with a fun hike in the bag!

A PIREP+ for the masses. I could not be happier.

Thanks for doing this, buddy!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Hey, even drug dealers don't screw around in Alaska. Saw this in the paper -- where one guy shot at the other with a shotgun slug.

Just in from the morning hike, here "in two." We had our heads on a swivel because of fresh tracks from a cow moose and her calf. A few minutes into the hike, a pack of wolves started howling loudly from nearby. No sign of them after that, but our dog who normally ranges 1,000 yards was underfoot the whole hike.

And, from up the road in Anchorage:

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wildl...glenn-highway/

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Little bit of good news on the missing dog front:

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2016/...ed-with-owner/

This is what it looked like heading out to our remote cabin this morning:

You know how many police depts offer civilian "ride along" programs so John and Jane Q Public can see first hand what a day in the life is like?

This. So very much this. Let me know when you start taking applications.

User Tag List