Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Journal

Alaska Journal

Since a number of PF members are interested in Alaska, I thought I would start an ongoing thread on some of the happenings up here.

This is the time of the year when moose give birth. Each year, we get one or more cow moose around our house with their newborn calves. We think they come closer to houses, to try to keep their babies safer from bears. Moms are generally focused on their babies, but while most are pretty docile, any individual moose can become surly. We scan outside for creatures before letting our dog or even ourselves outside. Yesterday, we had four moose in the "yard" -- a cow and calf, a young bull and another cow.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Bad moose event up in Anchorage:

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/ancho...-moose-attack/

Sent from my iPad

Dude I am so happy to see this. Please keep the pictures, videos, and commentary coming!!!!!!
    i used to wannabe

Hell
    yes!
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Dude I am so happy to see this. Please keep the pictures, videos, and commentary coming!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Hell
    yes!
    will do!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Bad moose event up in Anchorage:

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/ancho...-moose-attack/

Sent from my iPad
    We were out in that vicinity last year. Saw a bull out in the field (looked like an upper midwest "tamarac" swamp almost) along the road driving in. Being so new to AK and just jazzed out of my mind with excitement my head was on a swivel all week. LOL
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Little bit of good news on the missing dog front:

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2016/...ed-with-owner/

This is what it looked like heading out to our remote cabin this morning:

When we landed yesterday, some folks that live near us were at the airstrip. We visited with them and the topics were the usual ones -- how were the bugs and were there any bears around. The answer was yes on bugs and no on bears.

We got out first thing this morning for some wheel flying in an area of ridge tops that we hunt caribou and bear. There was a bit of light rain but generally light winds. Here is my wife right at touchdown, as you can see her tail wheel is still in the air.

Our dog can't wait to get out and run around the ridges.

We saw about a dozen caribou on a nearby ridge, hanging out by a leftover snow patch. Then the rain picked up, effectively shutting down the ridge landings, as a film of moisture on the windshield makes it too difficult to see your landing spot and avoid the bigger rocks. Heading back to our cabin, the clouds had filled in, and we had to do some zigging and zagging, first above the clouds and then below them to get back to our cabin.

After landing, we did our normal post flight inspections, and I was greeted by a good size hole in one of my tail feathers, no doubt caused by my tundra tires spinning up and throwing up a rock up on a ridge. There is a reason everyone flies with a roll of duct tape, also known as 100 mph tape in the bush.

This afternoon, we got a 20 gauge M2 zeroed with Brenneke slugs and ready to go for my wife.

Thanks George. I really appreciate this thread.

User Tag List