Page 56 of 76 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Journal

Hammertime
    Enjoyed the write up.

How much weight were you carrying in pack and in total with rifle etc?

How far do you have to hump that weight throughout the day?

What makes this particular rifle special in a way that a bunch of, I assume, experienced hunters felt it was enough of an advancement to buy in? Is a six pound 300 WM unusual?

Big panic this evening, because the Amazon Cloud outage is keeping Whistle from showing the 50 minutes Astro ran this morning. Right now, it has her not making goal, which is a consecutive streak of 434 days. Probably heading out with headlamps later.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...sites-offline/

Name:  49F948F2-E706-49BC-8231-2E036699F7EC.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  19.7 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Had the most unusual thing happen this evening, when we took Astro out for an end off the day walk in the desert.

First, she is closing in on our objective of 500 consecutive days making goal.

Name:  4280147E-2902-4E73-919B-C0E92F6425A8.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  21.2 KB

My wife looked up, and standing 75 yards away on a mound, was a coyote that appeared to be watching us. We talked to it, and it stayed there watching. We agreed the coyote was fine, as long as it left Astro alone. Then, this jack rabbit came out, and it became clear the coyote was hunting the rabbit. Astro took off after the rabbit, and the coyote just stayed there, no doubt pissed off. Finally the coyote ran off, and not five minutes later, he was back on the mound. He may be pushing his luck.

Name:  96F607A1-BF7F-44ED-A81C-363B1A8C5681.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  72.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

...My wife looked up, and standing 75 yards away on a mound, was a coyote that appeared to be watching us. We talked to it, and it stayed there watching. We agreed the coyote was fine, as long as it left Astro alone...

Once when camping out under the stars in Az I woke up to dog/coyote sounds in the morning, my dog was playing with a coyote.

I used to be in the habit of shooting them, now I mostly just like seeing and hearing them.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Once when camping out under the stars in Az I woke up to dog/coyote sounds in the morning, my dog was playing with a coyote.

I used to be in the habit of shooting them, now I mostly just like seeing and hearing them.
    We have definitely become a lot more accepting of coyotes, unless they are a direct threat.

I am starting to suspect Yote behavior is different regionally. In the last 30 years we lost two dogs and half a dozen cats to the packs that roam around here. But I can count the total number of times I have observed them in daylight hours on one hand. They flee quickly from all human contact and never get closer than 300 yards if they are aware of human presence. I have never seen one stop and look at us like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    We have definitely become a lot more accepting of coyotes, unless they are a direct threat.
    I enjoy seeing coyotes in the wild too. About coyotes and dogs: We had a female who would bring her pups to the dog park, and let them play with the dogs. Everyone (including me at the time) thought it was cool--until the pups grew up. It turns out that they weren't really playing, but instead learning how to hunt and kill dogs. Early one morning, an elderly woman and her aged lab were the only ones at the dog park. The coyote family attacked the lab, took it down and started dragging it into the woods. The woman was unable to help, and the mom coyote kept charging her. Finally she threw her car keys at them, and that scared them off. Unfortunately she lost her keys, and couldn't lift her mortally injured dog anyway. Just in time, another owner arrived, and drove the lab to vet emergency. The incident cost thousands, but the lab survived.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-20-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I am starting to suspect Yote behavior is different regionally. In the last 30 years we lost two dogs and half a dozen cats to the packs that roam around here. But I can count the total number of times I have observed them in daylight hours on one hand. They flee quickly from all human contact and never get closer than 300 yards if they are aware of human presence. I have never seen one stop and look at us like that.
    Just a couple months ago here in rural Phoenix area, my best friend and one of his coworkers were hunting either quail or dove (I'm not a hunter I don't keep track). 2 big dudes with shotguns, and they had a coyote charge them. My friend's coworker dropped it with a blast to the face at very close range. I can only assume some pellets made it through the eyes otherwise I doubt birdshot anywhere else would kill a yote. But that was the 1st time I've ever heard of a coyote attacking someone around here. They usually stick to smaller dogs/cats. Whenever I walk my 65 pound dog ive got my head on a swivel and bright flashlight lighting up areas looking for glowing eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Just a couple months ago here in rural Phoenix area, my best friend and one of his coworkers were hunting either quail or dove (I'm not a hunter I don't keep track). 2 big dudes with shotguns, and they had a coyote charge them. My friend's coworker dropped it with a blast to the face at very close range. I can only assume some pellets made it through the eyes otherwise I doubt birdshot anywhere else would kill a yote. But that was the 1st time I've ever heard of a coyote attacking someone around here. They usually stick to smaller dogs/cats. Whenever I walk my 65 pound dog ive got my head on a swivel and bright flashlight lighting up areas looking for glowing eyes.
    If a coyote attacked two big dudes I’d be strongly suspecting it was rabid.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    ... they had a coyote charge them.
    here that would be a for sure sign of rabies...I would never touch the carcass of such a critter.....same for racoons in broad daylight

User Tag List