Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2666747576

Thread: Alaska Journal

Hammertime
    She greased that landing!

Wet dirt out here is hero dirt to mountain bikers. Grip is incredible.

What was the source of the no start? I have to think that would give you concern for engine failure on the return.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    She greased that landing!

Wet dirt out here is hero dirt to mountain bikers. Grip is incredible.

What was the source of the no start? I have to think that would give you concern for engine failure on the return.
    The airframe, engine and starter are only 300 something hours since new, but Hartzell starters have had some early failures that manifest as not working when hot. We were there long enough that I thought the starter completely failed, but that turned out not to be the case. We will replace that starter.

Emotionally, any starting issue is concerning, but intellectually, once the engine has started, barring some crazy in flight emergency, the engine will keep running until you stop it. I felt fine flying it 20 miles back to base, but if not I would have left it and crawled into the back of Charlie's one seat Cub. We probably would have off loaded our survival gear as the strip was short.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We celebrated the New Year by hiking in the desert with Astro first thing, and even bumped into the Jack rabbit we regularly see in the same spot. Then we headed out flying in the desert, and kept bumping into curious coyotes that would stand and watch us land and take off. Finally, we had a few hours of shooting. All in all, a pretty good day.

This is what the terrain looked like where we were flying.

Enjoyed this interview

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Enjoyed this interview

Thanks for posting that. I knew about that incident, but assumed he killed the bear with a head shot. It's surprising and impressive that 9mm hardcast penetrated sufficiently a heart/lung kill.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I knew about that incident, but assumed he killed the bear with a head shot. It's surprising and impressive that 9mm hardcast penetrated sufficiently a heart/lung kill.
    Since it is 50 minutes long, can someone post the Cliff Notes version. My recollection is that Phil shot a whole magazine of Buffalo Bore 147+ P hard cast through his 3953, or similar, S&W single stack, double action only third GEN pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Since it is 50 minutes long, can someone post the Cliff Notes version. My recollection is that Phil shot a whole magazine of Buffalo Bore 147+ P hard cast through his 3953, or similar, S&W single stack, double action only third GEN pistol.

That's basically it. The actual story only took a few minutes. The 50 minute interview deals with other questions and other things related to Alaska hunting

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    That's basically it. The actual story only took a few minutes. The 50 minute interview deals with other questions and other things related to Alaska hunting
    Another story on it:

https://www.americanhunter.org/conte...th-9mm-pistol/

User Tag List