Thread: California Fire Station Unable to Obtain Fire Insurance

California Fire Station Unable to Obtain Fire Insurance

If ever there was an example of how messed up California's insurance situation is:

https://krcrtv.com/news/local/califo...tation-project

Recently Cal Fire struck out trying to get fire insurance for a fire station.

Cal Fire operates the Ishi Conservation Camp in the foothills of Tehama County. It's roughly 325 miles north of Fresno. Inmates at the camp learn firefighting skills and then provide fire protection to four counties in the region.

Recently a State Senate budget committee learned from Victor Lopez with the Department of Finance that an $11 million project to replace the kitchen at Ishi Conservation Camp stalled because fire insurance couldn't be obtained. "They weren't interested in selling insurance policies in the region due to the perceived fire risk in the area," said Lopez.

Cal Fire turned to Fair Plan, a state program that all California property owners have access to. Since the project is being paid with bond money, Fair Plan couldn't provide sufficient coverage to meet the requirements of the bond underwriters.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Gavin's wealthy enough - he should be able to underwrite Cal Fire.

Site Supporter
    I am in a very high fire danger wildland-urban interface area.

My only fire insurance comes from the Fair Plan at $3900 a year. Homeowners insurance is from another company and doesn’t cover fire. It was not a cost I was anticipating on my move to California.

I got my clearances and minimal fire hardening on the house. But even if I was perfect looking around at my neighbors and the condition of their properties, I am f’d.

Thinking about it now, Cal Fire lost a camp and two firefighters on the Station Fire outside of LA in 2009. The inmates sheltered in the large walk in freezers during the burn over.

I remember walking through the camp a few weeks after the fire and the smell of all the rotting meat/food left in those freezers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I am in a very high fire danger wildland-urban interface area.

My only fire insurance comes from the Fair Plan at $3900 a year. Homeowners insurance is from another company and doesn’t cover fire. It was not a cost I was anticipating on my move to California.

I got my clearances and minimal fire hardening on the house. But even if I was perfect looking around at my neighbors and the condition of their properties, I am f’d.

Thinking about it now, Cal Fire lost a camp and two firefighters on the Station Fire outside of LA in 2009. The inmates sheltered in the large walk in freezers during the burn over.

I remember walking through the camp a few weeks after the fire and the smell of all the rotting meat/food left in those freezers.
    Maybe Cali wasn't the best move. A few years ago my wife and I were going to move to NM. I like the SW and NM. I spent many years living and working in AZ. We traveled in NM considerably with an RV so we knew the landscape. Even the city of ABQ. They got themselves some ghettoes.

Then it hit me. Climate change has f'd the SW. I saw that first hand where I had lived in SE AZ. Scrub brush where peppers once was a cash crop. The water was gone. Water level in the aquifers was around 2500'. When I lived there it was 250'. Needless to say we never moved but I sure did like Chama NM. Cali may be one of those lost states due to climate change, natural disasters and insurance.

Our snow pack is 67% of nornal so water issues and fire hazard even in the PNW. Who woulda thunk it?
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-17-2024 at 09:55 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List