Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matching a Barrel and BCG

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Matching a Barrel and BCG

I'm a total novice when it comes to rifles, so I apologize if this is a dumb question. My present understanding is that there's a lot of benefit in having the same manufacturer of your barrel and your BCG, for consistency reasons. My question is: what do you do if the barrel manufacturer doesn't make a BCG?

I'm assembling the pieces of an AR-10, beginning with a MEGA MATEN receiver. MEGA also makes (or rather, has someone make) their own .308 barrels, but they don't offer a BCG. So how would you pick an appropriate BCG if I wanted to use a MEGA-branded barrel? What .308 barrel/BCG combos have been known to work well?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

It doesn't matter a hill of beans IMO, so long as both are in spec.

Brownells suggests the following as headspace does need to be checked. While it is likely to be fine, there are so many AR manufacturers that it is possible to get a combo of parts that are not properly headspaced. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11624/learn/

Chance, if you need to borrow 308 no go/go guages I can send them next week. Got family in town till Sunday can't make it to the post office. Hit me up via PM if you need them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I'd check headspace and then work up a load that the barrel likes. The latter will yield accuracy.
    #RESIST

I HAVE seen more than one example of 223/5.56 bolts & barrels of mixed heritage that would not headspace, even when both parts came from good manufacturers are supposed be built to the data package. When you start messing with AR10s, you MUST check headspace as there is no exact standard for manufacturers to even aim for.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    It doesn't matter a hill of beans IMO, so long as both are in spec.
    What spec? Mega's? Armalites?, DPMS's?, Knights? There isn't any one spec for the AR10.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 06-03-2016 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    What spec? Mega's? Armalites?, DPMS's?, Knights? There isn't any one spec for the AR10.
    SAAMI has a spec for headspacing, I'm rather sure. Gauges are cheap. Eyes and fingers not so much.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 06-03-2016 at 09:15 PM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Chance, if you need to borrow 308 no go/go guages I can send them next week. Got family in town till Sunday can't make it to the post office. Hit me up via PM if you need them.
    Thanks, but I don't even own anything but the receiver at the moment
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Thanks, but I don't even own anything but the receiver at the moment
    When your ready hit me up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

User Tag List