Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Charged for NFA Violation

Charged for NFA Violation

This is crazy, and a little alarming for AR pistol owners. Could this be proof that an AR pistol is really skating on thin ice with the law? What do you LEOs think about the claims that the LEOs involved assembled, and configured the parts to make an NFA violation... Scratching my head at this story.

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/it-sho...n-in-arkansas/
    " The true Soldier fights not because what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

The asshat author assumes the cops are crooked and set this guy up, because the guys at ARF.com said the convited is a "good guy"? Screw him. Depending on if the suspect was in the vehicle during the initial encounter/arrest, the police do not need his consent to search the vehicle, as it's contents are inventoried once it is impounded. Since the defense attorneys did not get the search of the vehicle thrown out, we can probably assume it was legally done.

Suspect admits he had a "pistol lower with a carbine buffer tube", and did not have a pistol buffer tube. Yet he totally swears he would have NEVER put a carbine stock on there... So the obvious answer is not bubba got caught doing something illegal and is denying it, it must be the cops constructed an illegal gun to frame bubba? How many times have you seen the TV show "cops", and heard "these are not my pants". This sounds like the same thing. And that full auto fire control group? Not illegal, but may go to show the mental state of said bubba.

As a LEO, trust me, we get paid the same weather or not you do dumb stuff and break the law. If we roll out and there is no crime, we still get paid the same. There is zero incentive to make this stuff up. Especially in the world of constant cell phone recording.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

I can smell what actually happened right through that story.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BES View Post
    This is crazy, and a little alarming for AR pistol owners. Could this be proof that an AR pistol is really skating on thin ice with the law? What do you LEOs think about the claims that the LEOs involved assembled, and configured the parts to make an NFA violation... Scratching my head at this story.

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/it-sho...n-in-arkansas/
    I think the claim against the LEOs is Horseshit. The suspect was playing NFA games and lost. Play stupid games, when stupid prizes.

Like it or not (and I don't) the NFA is the law of the land.

Per the article there was only one lower recovered from the car - the one with a carbine buffer tube installed. That is a rifle receiver, regardless of whether the stock was installed on the tube or not. Add a short barrel upper and you have constructive possession even if the upper and lower are not attached.

Very simple - an A.R. 15 receiver with a pistol buffer tube attached is a pistol. And A.R. 15 lower receiver with a rifle or carbine buffer tube attached which can accept a stock is a rifle. Period.

The M16 FCG parts may or may not consitiute a machine gun but they are another indication this guy was playing stupid games.

ARFCOM is on par with Infowars as a reliable source of information.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-31-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Does not pass the smell test. This guy is not the poster child for 2A advocates. He's a dumbass. You can't fix stupid.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Yea, I smell the rotten fish too.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edar/pr...s-after-trials

"As presented during the Stegall trial, on September 10, 2013, Stegall was discovered to have a loaded, unregistered short barreled in his vehicle, which was located in a shopping center in Benton. Benton Police Department officers had responded to the scene to locate the vehicle after dispatch received a call from a driver who reported that a man had flashed a gun at him in a road rage incident. A vehicle matching the description given by the victim was seen driving into the shopping center. An employee of one of the stores informed the responding officers that she noticed the vehicle because it zoomed through a shopping center parking lot crowded with children and families, which she thought was dangerous.

This employee then directed police to a neighboring restaurant where they located Stegall, the driver of the vehicle. After Stegall’s arrest officers found the loaded, unregistered short barreled rifle, along with seven other firearms in his vehicle."
    Last edited by 41magfan; 05-31-2016 at 03:10 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Imagine the coincidence of a citizen reporting a guy flashing a gun at him and weirdly the jack booted thugs picked the one exact matching vehicle that had not one, but seven guns, including the harmless non registered NFA configurations. Weird the way those coincidences happen.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Great insight from all, thanks ! Always nice to hear the other perspective. Not too familiar with the author, but I agree he was really reaching to make it seem like this guy smelled like roses. A note on the AR pistol specifically, assuming a regular encounter like a traffic stop, do you all think that having one in the vehicle could cause a potential mix up until the facts were sorted out? I really like the AR pistol idea it just sketches me out a bit because it seems so close to the line. Especially with things like the KAK shockwave that really look like a buttstock.
    Last edited by BES; 05-31-2016 at 03:32 PM.
    " The true Soldier fights not because what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

Site Supporter
    Great insight from all, thanks ! Always nice to hear the other perspective. Not too familiar with the author, but I agree he was really reaching to make it seem like this guy smelled like roses. A note on the AR pistol specifically, assuming a regular encounter like a traffic stop, do you all think that having one in the vehicle could cause a potential mix up until the facts were sorted out? I really like the AR pistol idea it just sketches me out a bit because it seems so close to the line. Especially with things like the KAK shockwave that really look like a buttstock.
    Keeping a copy of the ATF compliance letter for your SIG brace or KAK shockwave might not be a bad idea but as long as you have an actual, legitimate A.R. pistol it will get straightened out sooner or later.

What helps is being very polite, having any necessary paperwork for said firearms in a folder that is tabbed for the officer's reading ready to go.

Oh, and not being someone who comes to the attention of the police for a traffic stop involving an investigation into a threatening incident.

That helps.

You set the tone for a lot of your life's encounters.

User Tag List