Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Charged for NFA Violation

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    In 10 years of practice, the times I've seen a prosecutor either called in from "outside" or overruled from "up high" are three.

One was a medicare fraud case handled by the medicare fraud unit of the State's Attorney's Office, a counterfeiting case involving some really nice fake $100 with the secret service sniffing around handled by the organized crime bureau of the State's Attorney's Office (I get the impression this was bigger than my client...but I didn't have a need to know, and the guy plead without taking a deal, so...yeah...I don't think he wanted to risk rolling on whoever made the bills.) and an ITAR case involving DOJ counterintelligence prosecutors who were nudging the local AUSA to prosecute because they have a hard-on for ANYONE exporting ANYTHING to certain unnamed countries.

Other than that - nope. It may go to a special guy who handles something locally, but "heavy hitters being flown in" is something that happens when you have something more significant than an un-stamped NFA item.
    There is a slight possibility they may have had a tech agent come in to present the details of how those parts were cobbled into an illegal SBR, but you're right, this case is very routine and mundane.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    Oops. Assumed...

Mmmmkkk...

Then shouldn't people be commenting on how his lawyer sucked regardless? Because its all bs anyway...
    Suppose his lawyer said "We should take this plea," and the client said "Naw, I know my rights! I want a trial! Puff Daddy had a trial!"?

(nb. I am not a lawyer. But I listen sympathetically as one beats his forehead against his desk occasionally.)
    Last edited by Tamara; 06-02-2016 at 05:18 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Suppose his lawyer said "We should take this plea," and the client said "Naw, I know my rights! I want a trial! Puff Daddy had a trial!"?

(nb. I am not a lawyer. But I listen sympathetically as one beats his forehead against his desk occasionally.)
    I'm the chauffeur, not the guy deciding where to go.

When it come to doing what a client says...I only work here.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What kind of dumbass initiates road rage with multiple loaded, uncased firearms in their vehicle, never mind an illegal SBR?

What kind of dumbass contacts the police to report road rage with those firearms in their vehicle.

What kind of dumbass, once realizing they have engaged in road rage with those firearms, hangs around and has lunch in a public place, as opposed to beating feet for wherever he stores those firearms?
    I've been having a lot of trouble trouble following this narrative. First it seemed that someone else reported him for brandishing a handgun during a road rage incident which led to the police looking for him.

Now we are hearing that the defendant himself contacted the police on the advice of a friend because he gave another driver the finger.

Well, it's a safe bet that the guy will not be discovering a cure for cancer anytime soon.

Originally Posted by joshs
    There is case law calling an unassembled short upper and lower "constructive possession" of an SBR.
    Originally Posted by John Hearne
    Really? What case is that? If it exists, it directly contradicts SCOTUS case law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...Center_Arms_Co.
    Then you cite this:
    United States v. Kent, 175 F.3d 870 (11th Cir. 1999).
    The term "constructive possession" is not used at all in that 11th Circuit Decision.

Here is a link to the text of the decision: http://openjurist.org/175/f3d/870/united-states-v-kent

Feel free to read the decision, and then tell me where you see the Court "calling an unassembled short upper and lower "constructive possession" of an SBR" (sic)

Once again:
    ". . . constructive possession . . . "

Actually, I know it does not mean what you think and claim it means.
    Last edited by DMF13; 06-02-2016 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Corrected a typo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Forgive the stupid question, but what does it mean?
    There is physical (aka "actual" possession), for example when you have an item in your hands. Then there is "constructive possession" when you don't physically possess the item, but have the power and intent to exercise dominion and control over the item, even though you don't have physical possession of the item. For example if you put an item in the trunk of your car, and then walk away, you no longer physically possess it, but it's still yours, and you have the power and intent to exercise dominion and control over the item, so you are then in constructive possession of that item.

Also, Black's Law Dictionary defines "constructive possession" as, "A person has constructive possession of property if he has power to control and intent to control such an item." Com. v. Stephens, 231 Pa.Super.481, 331 A.2d 719, 723. "Being in a position to exercise control over a thing." US v. DiNovo, C.A.Ind., 523 F.2d 197, 201.

Doesn't have anything to do with the ability to "construct" an item, but rather the manner in which you possess an item.

ETA: That's not a stupid question at all.
    Last edited by DMF13; 06-02-2016 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks! So, how does this play out with regard to NFA items?
    No different than any other item.

If the government wants to get a conviction for possession of any contraband item, they must be able to prove the person either had physical or constructive possession of the item.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Doesn't have anything to do with the ability to "construct" an item, but rather the manner in which you possess an item.
    This is different from the way we have been using it in the context of various NFA items for longer than many of our forum members have been alive, so was ATF wrong, or were we? Or did the definition change?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I'm perhaps more confused than ever.
    I sympathize, because so many people (and I don't mean just in this thread and this forum) have misused the term "constructive possession" when discussing NFA firearms, and have further improperly described the relevant caselaw on NFA firearms, that it can be confusing.

The citation provided by joshs, is actually a good, albeit lengthy, discussion of the topic. You can read it at the link I provided. Possession (constructive or physical) was NOT disputed by Kent. Kent disputed whether the evidence actually proved that what he admits to possessing was a "short-barreled rifle" as defined in the US Code.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    This is different from the way we have been using it in the context of various NFA items for longer than many of our forum members have been alive, so was ATF wrong, or were we? Or did the definition change?
    Anyone using "constructive possession" to mean the ability to construct an item, rather than the power to control and intent to control an item (or alternatively the power and the intention at a given time to exercise dominion and control over an object, either directly or through others), is using the term incorrectly. It has a specific legal meaning, and as I said in my previous post, unfortunately many people (and again I don't mean just in this thread and this forum) have misused the term "constructive possession" when discussing NFA firearms, and have further improperly described the relevant caselaw on NFA firearms, to the point where many people have come to misunderstand the meaning of the term . . . and yes that is true regardless of how long the term has been misused, and the proper legal meaning has not changed.
    Last edited by DMF13; 06-03-2016 at 01:22 AM.

User Tag List