Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Charged for NFA Violation

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Or look at the convicted guy. This is all I need. From his go fund me page.

"I've been friends with Justin for many years, so I know he's a great guy. Like most of us, he wants nothing more out of life than to spend time hanging out with his friends and family. He just got engaged and has already assumed the role of stepdad. In a perfect world, he'd be worried about nothing more than wedding planning and wanting the water temp at Lake Ouachita to come up so we could all go diving again.

But it's not a perfect world. Justin was just convicted of having an unregistered NFA weapon. He didn't hurt anyone. He didn't attack anyone, he victimized NOBODY.

Yet the government claims that he's guilty of a crime. While he maintains that he didn't have it, the real possible crime here was that the government didn't get it's extortion fee. That's right. The government didn't get $200 so they want to send him to prison.

The defense has an excellent case for the appeal, and this case has excellent attributes for possibly weakening NFA laws in our favor, we just need to fund it. Justin is a blue collar, hard working guy, and federal cases are expensive. He can't do it alone. He needs our help."

Didn't want to pay the same $200 none of us like paying, combined with this doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about running the flag up the hill on his behalf.
    Is there also a 1911-pattern pistol in the upper left portion of the picture, shoved between two pieces of the interior trim? Awesome way to store a firearm.

From the pictures, this guy is guilty. Looks like he put together an SBR without an approved Form 1 or a transfer on a Form 4.
    Last edited by farscott; 06-02-2016 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Is there also a 1911-pattern pistol in the upper left portion of the picture, shoved between two pieces of the interior trim? Awesome way to store a firearm.

From the pictures, this guy is guilty. Looks like he put together an SBR without an approved Form 1 or a transfer on a Form 4.
    Really, I thought the cops put them together because there is no way this guy would EVER have done it, because he is a victim and the local cops are very sensitive about the Feds not getting $200. I bet there are local Arkansas cops in therapy because they can't sleep thinking that BATFE may have gotten shorted a couple hundred bucks.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The local LE dropped the charges. The BATF flew people out to burn this guy. I don't think this should have happened from a justice standpoint but when you play "is it a pistol or is it a rifle" games, sometimes shit can happen.

Imagine what would have happened if he'd spent a whopping $70 on a dashcam(with an SD card, plug and play), kept his cool during the road rage incident, recorded the other guy's actions, and offered the video to the LE immediately. Say the other guy got in his face (via the driver's window). Turn that camera over to face him with one hand and let it grab video and audio. BOOM. DONE.
    Where does the info about the BATF flying people out to burn the guy come from?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    Where does the info about the BATF flying people out to burn the guy come from?
    I believe that is a POOMA answer, Mitchell. POOMA = Pulled Out Of My Ass

Apparently, some folks are ignorant of the fact that the various Federal LE operations have offices situated regionally to handle investigative demands as they occur in said regions. There is no need to "fly" folks to handle what is a rather mundane case in the ATF scheme of things.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

What kind of dumbass initiates road rage with multiple loaded, uncased firearms in their vehicle, never mind an illegal SBR?

What kind of dumbass contacts the police to report road rage with those firearms in their vehicle.

What kind of dumbass, once realizing they have engaged in road rage with those firearms, hangs around and has lunch in a public place, as opposed to beating feet for wherever he stores those firearms?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

This thread makes me smile, if only because less than a week ago, we were (in the handgun forum) talking about cheek-resting AR15 pistols with the brace, and was that OK or not.

Simple rule for me. Rifle barrels need to be 16", or tax stamped. THERE ARE SO MANY GOOD OPTIONS for weapons without having to screw around and maybe run afoul of the NFA, why chance it?

Of course, I have years and years and years of playing "cool kid" with issued Mk18/Mk16/7/MP5KN, etc, that the ability to shoot one on my own time on the range isn't terribly exciting, so my perspective is skewed.

AND, if I thought this case in any way could result in lifting NFA restrictions, I'd crowd fund the hell out of it, but, no matter how much of "a good guy" the subject is, he got caught with his hand in the proverbial cookie jar. Sorry 'bout your luck. Actually, since this all started because you were driving like a jackass with a trunk full of firearms and with a firearm on your person, I'm really not that sorry - at all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What kind of dumbass...
    The North American Common Dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    The North American Common Dumbass.
    Scientific name Cleetus Americanus

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I believe that is a POOMA answer, Mitchell. POOMA = Pulled Out Of My Ass

Apparently, some folks are ignorant of the fact that the various Federal LE operations have offices situated regionally to handle investigative demands as they occur in said regions. There is no need to "fly" folks to handle what is a rather mundane case in the ATF scheme of things.
    In 10 years of practice, the times I've seen a prosecutor either called in from "outside" or overruled from "up high" are three.

One was a medicare fraud case handled by the medicare fraud unit of the State's Attorney's Office, a counterfeiting case involving some really nice fake $100 with the secret service sniffing around handled by the organized crime bureau of the State's Attorney's Office (I get the impression this was bigger than my client...but I didn't have a need to know, and the guy plead without taking a deal, so...yeah...I don't think he wanted to risk rolling on whoever made the bills.) and an ITAR case involving DOJ counterintelligence prosecutors who were nudging the local AUSA to prosecute because they have a hard-on for ANYONE exporting ANYTHING to certain unnamed countries.

Other than that - nope. It may go to a special guy who handles something locally, but "heavy hitters being flown in" is something that happens when you have something more significant than an un-stamped NFA item.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What kind of dumbass initiates road rage with multiple loaded, uncased firearms in their vehicle, never mind an illegal SBR?

What kind of dumbass contacts the police to report road rage with those firearms in their vehicle.

What kind of dumbass, once realizing they have engaged in road rage with those firearms, hangs around and has lunch in a public place, as opposed to beating feet for wherever he stores those firearms?
    Ooo! Ooo! I know- the same kind of moron who starts whinging about how the Man set him up, man, and its all about not getting their evil tax money derp derp derp my rights derp derp.

User Tag List