Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Charged for NFA Violation

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I don't, for a second, think that cops couldn't/wouldn't have assembled two legal halves into an illegal half and then lied about it...
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I've seen enough foolishness associated with the "shh, don't tell anyone about the illegal SBR/AOW in my trunk but F THA MAN!!!" theme to know right away the suspect earned his trip to court.

You'd be surprised how often morons bring federally illegal weapons to public ranges and are offended when the range staff tell them to beat it.
    Are those the same people who get NFA advice from reading the interwebz?

Rob, many things in this world are legal all by themselves, and become illegal when in conjunction with other things. This is actually what cop world is all about. Normally, Brillo pads, glass tubes and lighters are all legal.....until they end up in your pocket with some crack residue and become paraphernalia. Skittles, Watermellon Tea and cough syrup are another group of fairly non-nefarious items until mixed so you can get high without testing dirty on your piss test. So......you have all the components of an SBR in your car, minus your tax stamp, and you come to the attention of LE by brandishing a firearm during a road rage incident, and the cops are dirty......nice.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I don't, for a second, think that cops couldn't/wouldn't have assembled two legal halves into an illegal half and then lied about it, or even simply not had a clue what they were doing, but I find it somewhat irrelevant since they couldn't have assembled parts not provided to them by the suspect.
    I only know a handful of cops that would even know what to do with an AR separated into upper and lower components.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

There was a case locally in which separate parts were converted into a full auto AR, except that they had to be held together with 100 MPH tape because the lower was busted. (I may have details wrong, but that's the gist.)

Sample of one.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I don't, for a second, think that cops couldn't/wouldn't have assembled two legal halves into an illegal half and then lied about it, or even simply not had a clue what they were doing, but I find it somewhat irrelevant since they couldn't have assembled parts not provided to them by the suspect.
    You're way out of line and that's my massive understatement for this month. The rules of this forum say:

We like to think of everybody on PF.com being on the same side. We are all good guys here, whether we wear a badge or not. Anybody who forgets that and starts to post a bunch of divisive drivel is going to be shown the door.

You're not LE, haven't been LE and wonder if you even could be one of us who've made those sacrifices and paid the price to do that job with honor and a solid service ethic. It's something that we take seriously, but that you clearly have no understanding of. It may shock you, but there's no need to frame anybody, because assclowns abound in the criminal world and it's literally like catching bluegills with grasshoppers if you know what to look for. This is our house, Rob. Please don't come in here and shit on the carpet.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 06-01-2016 at 11:40 AM. Reason: grammar
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Shitting on the carpet in the LE forum is sort of the norm here. It is why I don't post much here anymore as it has become the sporting part of the forum where you can make shitty little comments and innuendos about LE without consequence or risk, which is always good fun to stick it to a bunch of of folks who face consequences and risk as their job description. Just a bunch of corrupt, dirty, militarized jack booted ignorant thugs. I guess it got boring with Cody not posting much anymore.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

While in many cases, "If you aren't cheating you aren't trying." anyone in LE who couldn't make an honest case based on what I have read so far about this incident needs to go back to the statute book and look.

Not doing stupid shit with guns is really not hard. That applies to carrying them, shooting them and building them.

Yes, when the ATF issues mutually contradictory letters regarding what does, or does not, constitute re-purposing/manufacturing or modifying a SIG Brace it gets interesting, but the people who take the time to read the letters instead of shouting, "Ma RigHts!" generally get things pretty quickly.

Not saying I agree with the rulings (I don't) but understanding them and complying with them is usually not hard.

If you want to push the edge in what you can legally do with firearms, get an opinion letter from your lawyer. I hear a lot of people talk about "Lawyers worth their salt..." so be prepared to pay.

(I like the stuff from the Himalayan mountains. The pink kind...)

Or do what this guy did and play the odds.

Let me add some facts to the discussion. The guy who called the cops on the suspect claimed specifically that the suspect pointed a Glock at him. The suspect does not own a Glock and did not have one in his vehicle when it was searched.

Again...a $70 dashcam could have saved this guy.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 06-01-2016 at 01:00 PM. Reason: No edit, hit wrong button
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I only know a handful of cops that would even know what to do with an AR separated into upper and lower components.
    Very much this ^^^.

User Tag List