Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 31 - Dumb or Not Dumb

Vending Machine Operator
    Interesting input so far. Two things:

1.) The new G31 would absolutely be a Gen 4.

2.) I was under the impression that .40 and .357 Sig beat the hell out of the P226. If I decided to go the Sig route, is there a particular manufacture date where they started building them tough enough or would I be safe getting a cheapo used one?
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

".40 is the least accurate duty round. 9 is better and 45 is great. 357 was somewhere between 9 and 45"
    When fired from test barrels, that sounds about right...

I'd definitely stay away from Glocks in 357 Sig.

Personally, I find 357 Sig offers me nothing that is not already available in more common calibers, but if I was given 100,000 rounds of free 357 Sig ammo, I'd carry it without another thought. Generally 357 Sig is easier to shoot than .40, but not as nice a 9 mm. The last 357 Sig agency around here is transitioning to 9 mm...
    Last edited by DocGKR; 05-31-2016 at 12:35 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Well, damn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Oddly enough, I know more than a few guys down in OK using the .357, it's popular with LE down that way, and many of them are carrying Glocks. Many are also shooters, and while I have heard of issues with the platform none of them have had any trouble.

I have a gen 4 G31 that I traded into from a bud that was broke and needed a G17 due to changing jobs. I ended up with a KKM .40 barrel for it from GJM, and I'm now torn between also buying a 9mm barrel for it or selling the whole package.

I'm tempted to throw Dawsons on it, and a Raven magwell, and start shooting .40 in USPSA from AIWB, use it as a Limited gun, with a side of .357s for shooting at coyotes and such, and 9mm for volume shooting.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I've had 357 OEM conversion barrels for the G22/23/27, and ran a G33 at length for a time. Depending on the load, the 357 auto has a certain recoil and control attribute that is brisk but not unpleasant. It's just...different. But for the cost and availability of the ammo, I sometimes preferred the G33 to the 27. There is a troop in my circles that is a stalwart fan of his gen4 G31, runs it respectably, and makes the same observations.

John Farnam wrote extensively about his experience with the G32. I believe he wore a couple of them out, and demonstrated service life was 30-35k rounds. (I don't recall if it was in his quips or in another pub.

Bullet setback is a long time and lingering problem for some manufacturers, more so than other service calibers.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I'm currently running 2,000 rounds through a Gen 3 32. My first observation was that the gun was likely drastically undersprung from the factory.

I like the .357SIG for irrational gun hipster reasons, but if I were going to seriously buy this gun again, it would have been a Gen4 from the jump...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    When fired from test barrels, that sounds about right...

Personally, I find 357 Sig offers me nothing that is not already available in more common calibers, but if I was given 100,000 rounds of free 357 Sig ammo, I'd carry it without another thought. Generally 357 Sig is easier to shoot than .40, but not as nice a 9 mm. The last 357 Sig agency around here is transitioning to 9 mm...
    Doc, is your response recommending regarding staying away from Glocks in .357 SIG based on Gen4 findings, or previous Gen 3 problems/input? I know there were longevity issues with the Gen 3s, but I haven't heard much about the Gen4s to date, and would be very interested in your feedback.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Interesting input so far. Two things:

2.) I was under the impression that .40 and .357 Sig beat the hell out of the P226. If I decided to go the Sig route, is there a particular manufacture date where they started building them tough enough or would I be safe getting a cheapo used one?
    I have never heard of a Sig not handling .40 or 357. I may be out of date on that info, so I'm curious to hear if anyone has any more recent, relevant experience. Or , maybe the 229's are just much better than the 226 with the heavier calibers.

My G31Gen3 is just OK. I bought it back in 2012 when I couldn't find any 9mm/.40/.45ACP to buy. I was just about to sell it when the left rear frame rail broke off at ~10,800 rounds. Glock was very quick at exchanging the frame although I paid the $80 shipping back to Georgia. Now I've probably got one of the few Glocks with a "Made In USA" on the frame in California. I'll keep it for now.

At a class I attended, the caliber did seem to penetrate an old Honda Accord slightly better than the other handgun calibers.

I have nothing to contribute to the G31 discussion. But I do not think it is dumb.

Have you put hands on the G21SF? It seems so silly but the minute dimensional changes make all the difference in the world on how the gun feels and handles. For instance, the G21 Gen3 is too fat for me, when I grip it, it just causes a nasty flareup of my carpal-tunnel by contrast, the G21SF Gen3 doesn't do that. I mean seriously...only difference is the "slim frame".

In .357 Sig land have you considered the Sig 250/320 series of guns? I've thought so hard and nearly convinced myself about six times to buy a P250 Full size in .357 Sig, because they can literally be had for less than four Benjamins.

User Tag List