Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 5: Sweet Sixteen

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    OrigamiAK--Well done! That is good shooting with irons. You definitely need to start competing!

OrigamiAK, Seems your have your Doctors orders...........

I sure wish I'd know this DotW on Sun as I went 5-5 on a 3x5 at 25 yds in 17.8 sec, and had a Minute to do it in. ( was trying the fist part of a dill that Tom Givens had students do with a NRA Bullseye )
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Name:  xs-sights-ruger-e1320213783814.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  80.7 KB

15/16 hits. Started at 5 yards, dropped one round at 13 yards. Made it to 19 yards.

Gun: Ruger SR9c with XS Big Dot sights.

The XS sights made this drill really difficult because past 10 yards I was shooting the head box based pretty much on body index and guess work. The entire 3x5 card is subtended by the sights at 10+ yards.
    Last edited by jetfire; 11-02-2011 at 01:06 AM.

Sweet Seventeen

Due to lack of yard markings I wasn't able to spread it accurately and the target carriage was at about 23 yards when I shot #16. I pushed it to 25 and shot 17, so the final result is 17/17, from about 9 to 25 yards, HK P30 LEM, factory tritium sights, 115 gr Blazer, two handed grip.

WTT: 5 yards of accuracy distance for reduction of anticipation error by half. LEM trigger is kicking my butt on first shot.

Done twice. Once with God's gift to man the 1911. Springfield milspec all stock. Started at 5 dropped one at 12 and another one at 18, hit 18.

Second time with gen 3 Glock 19 sevigny carry two dot sights, ny1/-, started at 10 missed one at 18, finished at 24. I believe all measurements are in yards.

So I cheated on my Glock with the sexy girl I met at the gun show, and it turns out I had it right to begin with. But, I did look damn sexy missing with the 1911.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

In all fairness to JMB's creation, the SA milspec sights are a little less than ideal...

Shot this today at my local indoor range with my M&P45 using loads making SSP Power Factor.
    The Range is is marked for 7, 15, 20 and against the backstop is 25 yards. If you do the math it's evident that at times my 1 yard increments were lets say generous. Started at 7 yards and had my first miss low at 15 yards. Advanced out to the 22 yard line before I missed again and then it was 3 shots in a row. The 3rd miss was round 16. To be honest at 22 yards the target was in the shadow between the lights and the gray 3 x 5 box sort of disappeared and I had to guess where it was on the target. It seems my guesses were as good as my 1 yard advances.

Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

2H
    • Starting Distance: 10yd
    • Farthest Hit: 21yd
    • Round Count: 15

HK P30L 9mm V3 w/Heinie Straight-8s

I'll be honest, I didn't push this as far as I know I could have. I keep forgetting that my sights are a hybrid drive-the-dot/six o'clock hold, so I always tend to throw my shots high at distance. Or I just mash the trigger, as the two low misses show.
    Last edited by vecdran; 11-03-2011 at 12:59 AM.
    JP Visual Design

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    In all fairness to JMB's creation, the SA milspec sights are a little less than ideal...
    Totally, and the profane will be replaced.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Angry Late to the party....

So this is the first chance to make it to the range in what seems like eternity, but was about 2 months.... I did last weeks Bill Drill, the dot torture and this weeks Sour Sixteen.

I shot with Glock 19, Big DOT sights, grip reduced and stippled by me...

I realized that I have grown very complacent in the terms of some things. I started this weeks drill at 3 yrds and made it to 14 yrds.
    I do think the sights limited me passed the 10 yards.... I will attempt to repeat the drill with both my Duty weapon and a HK P30.... I will report back by monday...

KKJ

M&P FS 9mm

Started at 4 yds
    Ended at 16 yds

13/16

M&P FS

Started at 4 yds
    Ended at 16 yds

13/16

note: paster below 3x5 is from bill drills earlier in the day.

Since moving from my Glock to my M&P with thumb safety for AIWB carry I struggle with groups(vertically) past 12 yds. With my Glock I would of felt confident starting this drill further back. I need to practice more past 15yds with my M&P. I really enjoy the Drill of the Week as it really helps to add variety to my practice and helps keep me from falling in a rut of the same drills over & over.

User Tag List