Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: David Spaulding "What The Hell"

"What The Hell" David Spaulding

Great points IMHO, at least in respect to the audience he is speaking to.

.... Thoughts ?
    Last edited by BES; 05-29-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    " The true Soldier fights not because what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

Excellent stuff from Dave, as always. I will say that I've learned a ton of good stuff off of forums, blogs, and Youtube. You do have to have a solid base and apply logic to everything, as Clint Smith says.

Thanks for posting this!

Awesome video.

I've been to lots of training where it seemed like some were there mostly for a tactical fashion show. And that's fine if it helps good trainers sell out classes, I don't care what others motivations are as long as I get to train. But the guys with the Gucci kit usually don't shoot that well, at least in my experience.

At classes I dress like I normally do; short or jeans, shirt. Carbine classes I now run mags from a bag, because I feel like a tool wearing a chest rig.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 05-29-2016 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Added some thoughts.

Awesome! Great video, and relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Dave. He is a solid instructor and has a lot of real world applicable points for the vast majority of people.

I've trained with him and a few guys in an LE only class of about 7 people about 8 years ago. A lot of his concepts were fairly outdated then, I don't know about now, but his points on trigger time and training for your fight are very on the money.

As far as gear goes, what does an advantage mean to you?
    Is gear going give you the advantage you want? Need?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I'm just old enough to have seen everything he's talking about come to life and while I too enjoy the gun, holster, ammo, sights, blah, blah, blah discussion as much as the next guy, it all becomes nothing but BS when it becomes dogma.

I've seen and heard a lot of nonsense come from people that should know better (if their claimed life experiences are to be believed) but I discovered a long time ago that most people will not only tolerate being deceived, they will embrace it and display their ignorance like it was a CMOH.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 05-29-2016 at 12:40 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I'm about 50% "sure" and 50% "meh" on his rant. Clearly he is a top grade instructor.

I don't agree with his points that one can't build very solid skills without going to a school nor that training the pistol past 25 yards is flat out stupid, as he assured me it was on his FB page a year or maybe more ago.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Hits on a lot of good points. I gotta go back and read the cargo pants thread again though to see where he was wrong.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    I thoroughly enjoyed and felt I got a great deal of info from his auto (the moving car type) class. About carbines for fat old guys like me -well, he has a point. A lot of the gear at carbine matches is gun world COS play. It's like cowboy action shooting. Folks I know who dress up for carbine, wear everyday gear for classes and IDPA matches. USPSA - that's COS play again for many (ducking for cover).

In Dave's class at Karl Rehn's (and other classes at Karl's) we don't see the dress up commando folks. Might happen elsewhere.

An excellent and accurate commentary. Hopefully this fad of tactical assholery ( I nearly choked at that one!) will burn itself out and give way to a more realistic mindset. The internet does nothing to facilitate the Darwinian flow of evolution but the street certainly will.

User Tag List