Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock AND SIG as carry guns?

I would want redundancy, not variety. A second g19?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I would want redundancy, not variety. A second g19?
    If sticking with Glock - this ^^^.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    He doesn't live in the US. BATFE regs differ from other countries.
    I understand he does not live in the US. However, other countries like the European Union and Israel are similar in that they pick one part, the frame receiver etc. to be the "gun".

Of course they treat things like silencers and weapons lights the complete opposite of the way they are treated in the United States but the basic concept of what constitutes a gun versus what constitutes gun parts are similar.

it's one of the reasons caliber conversion kits and pistol to carbine conversion kits are so popular in Europe and Israel , Specifically because they don't entail the paperwork involved in another gun.

The whole modular concept of the P250 was originally developed by SIG Switzerland rather than SIG USA.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-28-2016 at 06:11 PM.

Ask yourself if you find it practical to carry that G19 with you under all or at least "most" circumstances. The answer is likely "no". A compact, high capacity pistol borders on impractical under a wide range of carry conditions.

The important thing is to have a gun under the widest range of conditions. Personally I feel that you should focus on getting a very small 9mm(preferably a single stack), and that should be your deep carry pistol that you carry when the G19 is not practical. A G26 is still a bit large and fat to fill that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    Ask yourself if you find it practical to carry that G19 with you under all or at least "most" circumstances. The answer is likely "no". A compact, high capacity pistol borders on impractical under a wide range of carry conditions.

The important thing is to have a gun under the widest range of conditions. Personally I feel that you should focus on getting a very small 9mm(preferably a single stack), and that should be your deep carry pistol that you carry when the G19 is not practical. A G26 is still a bit large and fat to fill that role.
    Since leaving school, I have not found it hard to carry a full size gun all the time. What are you doing that it is hard to carry a G19 "most" of the time?

Another vote for a second G19. If I was hard limited on the number of handguns I could own to two, variety or passion wouldn't even be a consideration. That's not to say changing platforms is a bad idea or out of the question, but I would work to have two of the same, whatever it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Since leaving school, I have not found it hard to carry a full size gun all the time. What are you doing that it is hard to carry a G19 "most" of the time?
    In my case, it would be a Sig P228/P229 since I am not allowed to use Glocks. Generally this sized pistol even in an IWB holster requires either a baggy shirt or jacket to adequately conceal it. I wear a shirt and tie on occasion and in the summer heat the sport coat isn't happening. Mountain biking, date night, or other occasions where I want to be armed, just not to the teeth the high capacity guns are cumbersome to bring along. Once adequate clothing is worn to accommodate a P228/P229, I see no advantage in carrying the P228/P229 over the P226 which is measurably improvement based on the shot timer and scoring. I have yet to find a trainee whose scores didn't greatly improve when I pulled the P228/P229 out of their hands and gave them a P226. When I am not going to dress for the P226, I find the single stack P239 to be ideal as it conceals much better than a P228/P229. I can wear a tighter fitting Underarmour shirt with the P239 and see virtually no shadowing. Then there is the S&W M&P 360 .357mag that is even lighter and more concealable which makes a nice running partner.

Having only one gun "can" make the shooter better, but some times picking the right tool for the job borders on being a force multiplier.
    Last edited by Hauptmann; 05-28-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Having a variety of platforms works in countries where legal restrictions are minimal and guns and parts and smithing are easily available. That combination of beneficia means you have the option of gaming: "Yeah well, Bobby John, I shot the course with the S&W 3913 last week. I think I'll use the Desert Eagle today". This doesn't seem to be your current environment.

In a controlled political environment, in the absence of easily available replacement guns and parts, I think the need is for redundentcy, not amusement. A handful of parts will maintain a G-19 for many years. The same handful will support two G-19s the same number of years: cannibalism.

I think a robust case could be made for having a number of G19s and Colt 6920s, with the necessary spare parts, should be in the armory before even considering other platforms. Obviously, you may have very good reasons for an entirely different take on the matter, and I'd be very interested in what you ultimately decide.

Glock AND SIG as carry guns?

I agree with SLG and others that it is desirable to have a single platform with spare guns and interchangeable parts. Over the last year I've made a shift from Glock to Sig 320 for competition and carry. It was a huge investment in time and money, because of the need for at least two of everything. And don't get me started on the holsters...

And FYI, a G19 is as easy to conceal as a p320 subcompact, and noticeably smaller than a 320c.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-28-2016 at 08:25 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

A couple of questions that might help your decision:

1) How important is absolute concealment for you? Could you face consequences if you get "made?"
    2) How much access do you have to gunsmithing/factory support for replacement parts/maintenance?
    3) What is the climate in your country?

If you live in a very NPE, I would consider the G26 as a lower-profile carry option to your G19. Likewise, if you live in a very hot environment where you typically wear less, the G26 conceals easier (for me--different body types vary as to how much benefit it offers). If you live somewhere where you're wearing jackets a lot of the time, then the extra size of the 19 won't make such a big difference, and I would probably double up with a dedicated training gun and a carry gun.

One of the biggest advantages of the Glock is the ease in detail stripping/replacing parts--I've heard the FCG for the 320 is a pretty complicated little piece of equipment, and harder to take down completely than the Glock. If you don't have access to a quality gunsmith and you're doing everything yourself, that's another point in favor of the Glock. Especially since you might need to cannibalize one gun to keep another running in an emergency.

Personally I'm an HK guy, and carry a P2000/P2000SK combo, but consider it basically the DA/SA equivalent of the G19/26. In a hot and/or NPE I would do a P2000/SK combo, and in a cooler/more permissive environment, I would lean towards two identical P2000s. Same applies with the Glocks.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum! Looking forward to learning more about what the firearms environment is in your part of the world.

User Tag List