Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock AND SIG as carry guns?

Glock AND SIG as carry guns?

More of a lurker here, but really cant think of a better forum to ask such questions.
    I have a Glock 19 currently as my primary carry handgun, due to the laws of the country i stay in i can't buy and change as i please. I recently have got the funds and paperwork to get a second carry option, im going with a subcompact. Logically, the G26 makes most sense, but they have offered me a great trade in deal on the G19 for a Sig P320 compact, and i purchase the subcompact.
    The Sig trigger is amazing and backup is good in my area.

So, do i change platforms for a "better" trigger?
    Buy the G26 and rock on?
    Buy the P320 subcompact and have two separate platforms?

Fellow experts, please help.

I'm not the best one to listen to, so take this for what it's worth...

If I lived in a place where it was very hard and time consuming to get new guns, I would not get a miniature version of my current gun. Yes, the 26 is the smart move. But if you can only have so many guns why not have a variety.
    Also, the 320 is so versatile. You can have multiple frame sizes and those aren't considered the gun! You could get multiple size guns with only technically 1 gun.

Now if this is a duty gun or anything I say 26. If you are just a CC average joe, I say 320.
    Last edited by Luke; 05-28-2016 at 02:35 PM.
    i used to wannabe

If your limited on what you can purchase and you won't have a problem purchasing X change kits then a P320 is a great idea, (great even if you can purchase what you want, when you want.)

Do the laws where you live recognize the serialized part of the P320 as the firearm? Allowing you to buy one "gun" and get various size frames from Sig as needed? That would be a pretty big factor for me if so.
    Last edited by El Cid; 05-28-2016 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Do the laws where you live recognize the serialized part of the P320 as the firearm? Allowing you to buy one "gun" and get various size frames from Sig as needed? That would be a pretty big factor for me if so.
    Different frames will be a problem, paperwork.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    The SIG P250 and P320 were designed as modular handguns for just your sort of situation. There should be no paperwork on a P320 grip frame because the grip frame is not the part with the serial number.

Unlike a traditional handgun, where the grip frame has the serial number and is legally considered the "firearm", the P250 and P320 have a universal "chassis" with the trigger and sear etc also known as a FCU or Fire Control Unit. This chassis is the part which has the serial number and in the U.S. and most other countries, this chassis is the part which is legally considered to be the "firearm".

The chassis fits into one piece plastic grip frames which come in different sizes (small, medium, large) instead of the different size back straps used by HK, Glock or Smith and Wessson.

The grip frame does not have a serial number and is legally like a set of grips on a conventional metal frame pistol like a SIG P226.

The chassis with the serial number is universal, meaning the same chassis is used in the full size, carry, compact and sub compact guns.

If this is the case legally, in your country, you could buy one P320 and then buy conversion kits allowing to to convert your one gun into different sized weapons (Full size, compact etc) or different calibers all with only one serial number and one set of paperwork.

For example, if you buy a SIG P320 compact 9mm, the one chassis with the serial number can be converted into 11 additional configurations:

9mm - full size, carry and sub compact
    .40 - full size, carry, compact, sub compact
    357 Sig- full size, carry, compact, sub compact

So 12 different gun configurations (including your original)- 1 serial number.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-28-2016 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    Really? The 320 frame is just a piece of plastic. The serial number is on the FCU, which can be easily switched between different frames.

Site Supporter
    I would stick with the 19 and 26. You are already setup with 19 and while the Sig may have a nice trigger, the 26 makes more sense. If things are hard to get I had rather have redundancy vs variety.

Where do you live?

Redundancy is good.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The SIG P250 and P320 were designed as modular handguns for just your sort of situation.
    He doesn't live in the US. BATFE regs differ from other countries.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List