Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone fooling w GLOCK mag AR pistols or carbines?

Ranges are pretty short in my AO. Biggest varmint I've killed is a coyote at 40 yards. A 9-40-357-10-45 carbine will have more smack than any rimfire.

Building a 10/22 SBR right now for a truck/ATV/fun plinker. I'm looking for a .22 mag replacement.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Whatever your needs are I guess, but I don't know why your limiting yourself to rimfire or a handgun round for a ranch type rifle. I don't have a need to shoot coyote often but If I did I wouldn't pick a handgun caliber round as my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Ranges are pretty short in my AO. Biggest varmint I've killed is a coyote at 40 yards. A 9-40-357-10-45 carbine will have more smack than any rimfire.

Building a 10/22 SBR right now for a truck/ATV/fun plinker. I'm looking for a .22 mag replacement.
    Maybe a .32-20 or .25-20 pump or lever gun? Probably gonna want to reload though.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

This topic is a huge money rat hole for me. I have worked my way through more truck/ranch/farm gun setups that I want to remember. I messed around with Contenders in cartridges like .22 LR, .22 WMR, .22 K-Hornet and .218 Mashburn Bee, Marlin 1894 rifles in .25-20, .32-20, and .357 Magnum, and a Browning 1885 in .243 Winchester. The various centerfire .22 rounds are great if you reload (except for the thin-walled .xx-20 brass) and not affordable if you do not. Of all of the old varmint rounds, I like the Mashburn Bee the most, but that is probably my inner gun hipster reaching the surface. The .22 LR rimfires were accurate; the .22 WMR not so much. The Marlin rifles did not provide the level of precision I wanted, and the .357 sample was very sensitive to OAL.

I finally said the heck with it and went with a 5.56mm AR. I can load the 5.56 down to .22 Hornet or .22 WMR levels with cheap, accessible brass or run full-power ammo out of the same setup. This morning I just started working up loads for my new WOA upper, and my best ten-shot group at 100 yards is right under an inch. I think the rifle will do better with other loads and with a better shooter, but I am pleased that POI is not shifting too much as the barrel gets warm.

I built a 9mm version off a NFA 80% forging for Glock magazines, NFA side-charging bolt hold open upper, an an ADCO 5" barrel.

It doesn't run right yet, and there's lots of room to figure out why.

Awhile back I had one that was made by DDLES and it ran just fine (except the bolt hold open doesn't work.)

Blowback is weird. The amount of weight you can feel slamming back and forth from such a tiny round (9mm) is remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    This topic is a huge money rat hole for me. I have worked my way through more truck/ranch/farm gun setups that I want to remember. I messed around with Contenders in cartridges like .22 LR, .22 WMR, .22 K-Hornet and .218 Mashburn Bee, Marlin 1894 rifles in .25-20, .32-20, and .357 Magnum, and a Browning 1885 in .243 Winchester. The various centerfire .22 rounds are great if you reload (except for the thin-walled .xx-20 brass) and not affordable if you do not. Of all of the old varmint rounds, I like the Mashburn Bee the most, but that is probably my inner gun hipster reaching the surface. The .22 LR rimfires were accurate; the .22 WMR not so much. The Marlin rifles did not provide the level of precision I wanted, and the .357 sample was very sensitive to OAL.

I finally said the heck with it and went with a 5.56mm AR. I can load the 5.56 down to .22 Hornet or .22 WMR levels with cheap, accessible brass or run full-power ammo out of the same setup. This morning I just started working up loads for my new WOA upper, and my best ten-shot group at 100 yards is right under an inch. I think the rifle will do better with other loads and with a better shooter, but I am pleased that POI is not shifting too much as the barrel gets warm.
    I've found my .357 Marlin to be relatively inaccurate with 125 grain rounds, but good with 158 and 180 grains. It is apparently the greater bearing length. If I were to get a rifle for the ranch I don't have, though, it would be a 30-30 loaded with a medium weight load.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I've found my .357 Marlin to be relatively inaccurate with 125 grain rounds, but good with 158 and 180 grains. It is apparently the greater bearing length. If I were to get a rifle for the ranch I don't have, though, it would be a 30-30 loaded with a medium weight load.
    My sample was okay (not good) with 158-grain wadcutters or SWC. I never tried 180-grain loads. I was offered more than I thought the rifle was worth, so I sold it with no compunctions or regrets.

Before it got hot this morning, I fired a few more loads with my WOA upper. One of the loads delivered 0.75" for ten shots at 100 yards. I am quite impressed with that. Load development will continue as I am encouraged by what I have seen to date.

Picked up the JP GMR-13 9mm carbine today and ran 300 rounds of Federal 147 gr American Eagle through it. Only had access to an indoor range, so 25 yards was it. Couple rounds to zero the RMR, a couple of groups, then burned through the ammo mostly as fast as I could pull the trigger. No malfunctions, careful fire yielded clusters, but it was big fun to just shred the targets. No recoil to speak of and very little muzzle rise; the compensator is very effective. Pretty quiet, no blast effect. Excellent trigger. Hosing through Glock 33 round mags warmed up the handguard but not too hot. My complaint is that it doesn't lock back on an empty mag. All in all, a great little rifle; I've already filed the Form 1!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  50.6 KB

User Tag List