Thread: Nuances of S&W 3953 vs 3953TSW?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Nuances of S&W 3953 vs 3953TSW?

I’m trying to obtain or confirm some detailed understanding of differences (and the differences they make) between the earlier 3953 and later 3953TSW. I’ve googled a ton and searched a ton of threads on smith-wessonforums and elsewhere, but since there are a lot of people here who’ve put a lot of rounds through third-gen S&W’s, I thought it would be worth asking this crowd. I want to make sure I’ve got it right before my accounts start shrinking. Obviously, these questions would apply to 3913s, and answers based on 3913 experience would be meaningful.

I know about the TSW slide being shared between DA/SA and DAO, and being (approximately – haven’t measured and not into assuming) the length of earlier DA/SA slides, having a shorter beavertail, and that the shorter slide is the reason for the difference in pre-cocking, to prevent the hammer from being exposed and susceptible to snagging. I know about the slides generally being machined for decock-only DA/SA parts, if you can find those little unicorn teeth. I know about the riveted-on rail and options to remove it if desired.

My questions have to do with trigger pull and service life.

My understanding is that the reduced amount of pre-cocking on the later TSWs leads to a longer trigger pull, but I'm thinking, based on everything I can find, that the increase is only the travel, with the trigger simply staging a few mm farther forward at rest/reset. Basically, it’s relying on the movement of the slide for less of the hammer movement and relying on the trigger for more, but the weight (force to press the trigger and move the hammer) should be the same. It may be lighter/smoother if the MIM parts end up having better surface finishes, and MIM should be more consistent from sample to sample than the highly variable machined finishes on the earlier pistols. Is that an accurate understanding?

(In a sample of two earlier DAOs I've inspected with flash-chromed parts, there is a visually obvious difference in the quality of the surface on the rear-facing portion of the hammer, which corresponds to the smoothness of the pull.)

I'm also interested in the increased size of the rails and improved precision of the fit on TSWs. Since all 3953s are getting older and they aren't making any more of them, the wear state and remaining round count in the frame is really important. Most of the examples I’ve seen of non-TSW aluminum third-gens have worn through the anodizing, which at least on a Sig is the beginning of the end. The little rails at the front of the dust cover seem to get eaten away faster than the bigger ones farther back. Do the bigger rails on the TSWs wear more slowly, given equal cleaning and lubrication?

Some seem to think the TSWs are or should be more accurate than earlier units due to improved precision of the slide fit, but others discount that. Any experience, A-to-B type stuff on that?

Thanks for your help!

PS - I’m hoping this thread doesn’t devolve into a 12-page debate about derp, LARP, philosophy of training and carry, why the heck anyone would ever want to carry an “obsolete” single stack, etc., although that other one has been entertaining. I think we can all agree that the service life of the frame will eventually matter if you train enough.

PSS - Just to put it out there, the world would be a better place if instead of looking for old 3953s, I could go buy as many as I wanted brand new H&K USSPs - Universal Single Stack Pistol - with external dimensions almost exactly like the 3953, a polymer frame and LEM trigger. But that's not the way the world is going. I've compared a 6946 and USP Compact LEM side by side, and IMO, the H&K crushes the double-stack Smith in every characteristic that matters to me. So this whole post is driven by the reduced printiness of a single stack.

I have a 3953 and have had a 3913. I also have 1006 and a 910s ... The 3rd gens - in my experience - are hardy pistols. Change springs and they have have long service lives ... So I have been told. I should mine as often as I can. The pistols don't seem to show a lot of signs of wear re: slide and frame interface.

I like the trigger pull on my 3953 - similar in length of pull and break to my 642 revolver... But lighter pull and obviously a quicker reset. I have bid on and been beaten for a few 3953 TSW's ... I have l actually shifted some to looking for a "shorty 9" or "recon" pistol.

Side note - I have been watching the development of the PD10by Avidity Arms (cf. ICE training) looks like a promising single stack... Similar to a Glock 19 but thin ...

Since you mentioned H&K - I wanted to ask: a friend of mine suggested I try the p30 family of pistols and use the small side panels = a thin pistol similar to my 3rd gen. I have not been able to try this but thought you may have. Can't see it being as sleek as the 3953. The 3953 is the perfect form factor for me ... I will be watching this thread to see what other input people have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timely. I just returned from the range and shot my 3913 TSW no rail early production gun for the first time in probably a year. I put away a few years ago afraid I couldn't replace it. I'm to the point it's the first gun I ever bought I will shoot it and enjoy it and if it craps in the bed then I will put it up. Until then I'm going to enjoy the attributes of an awesome little gun

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JPedersen View Post
    Since you mentioned H&K - I wanted to ask: a friend of mine suggested I try the p30 family of pistols and use the small side panels = a thin pistol similar to my 3rd gen. I have not been able to try this but thought you may have. Can't see it being as sleek as the 3953. The 3953 is the perfect form factor for me ... I will be watching this thread to see what other input people have.
    I didn't take up that tangent in the original post, but there are several other single stack DA pistols available. They are all, as far as I have seen, basically a single-stack grip under a slide that was designed for a double stack. So the slides are typically much wider, and the pistols end up being bulkier overall than a 39xx, and just seeming top-heavy. I have XXXL hands, so the grip radius is a big deal for me. Lots of pistols have a longer front-to-rear grip shape lower down, but the distance from the back of the grip where the web of the thumb wraps to the trigger is still short. HK's interchangeable back straps generally don't deal with that well. Gen4 Glocks are better, but I have a lot of other issues with Glocks.

The Shield, P225, P239, CCP, and of course all the micro pistols all are either shaped poorly, too small, or have a weird balance. I've said good things about the P938 in the past, but as I worked more with it, I discovered issues caused by the mismatch of its tiny size and my big hands. The S&W 39xx pistol feels RIGHT in my hands. It has that perfect, natural balance and slim yet substantial feel of a 1911 in a compact, lighter package with a DAO manual of arms.

A more direct answer to your question about P30. I have shot one, have messed with the different grip panels. I still prefer the USP in both full-size and compact, as long as I'm dealing with a double-stack. The OG modern H&K got it very right - at least for my hands. I haven't messed with the SK variants, but I believe I would find the longer but slimmer grip and slide of the 39xx preferable.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05-27-2016 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPedersen View Post

I have a 3953, P30, and USP compact (all in Euro Pellet). You are correct, the 3953 is much "sleeker" than the HK pistols.

Assuming you are looking for concealed carry, as opposed to range/open carry, the P30 has a pretty long butt that will print rather plainly under a light shirt. The USP Compact, with a flat magazine floorplate, has a considerably shorter grip length and conceals much better. And the 3953 is even better, of course. All of my kydex IWB holsters have a 25 degree forward cant, and this helps conceal pistol butts a great deal. But my P30, whose butt is a bit longer than a P2000 with flat mag floorplate (and the USP compact), does indeed print a bit when I lean over or twist my upper body to the left a bit.

The OP is also correct about how the HK's "crush" anything S&W, in terms of better quality, better durability, just any characteristic you care to name. That said, the 39xx pistols are pretty well made and good quality, and of course measurably smaller and easier to carry. And that might matter if one is trying to carry while still looking trim/slim/etc.

Personally, I wear soft khakis and large, loose hawaiian shirts. I'm not looking for a job and not looking for a woman, so I could not care less what folks think of my appearance. And the USP Compact, along with a spare magazine on the off side, disappears under those shirts… but I can still make a pretty quick presentation. My point here is that, while the 39xx pistols are quite nice and carry well, if their smaller size does not matter to how you dress/conceal, then I would suggest that you take the time and effort to check out a USP Compact (make sure it has at least one flat magazine floorplate). If you have a lot of time shooting your 3953, a LEM trigger on the USPc would be just the trick.

My 3953 is one of my stash pistols that I'm "keeping for rainy days", so to speak. If you are serious about looking into HKs, let me know, I'll go dig out the 3953 and photograph it next to a USP Compact that I carry.

OP, did you ever get the info you were looking for on differences between the newer/shorter-slide/TSW and older/longer-slide 3953s? I'm interested in this topic too -- been looking for a 3953 and there seem to be more of the newer version (with the reported longer trigger pull).

Another factor, or question -- I have a 6946, which is the double stack version of the 3953. The 6946 seems to match the older 3953s in slide profile (it has the longer slide and circular safety plug), so I'm thinking that getting an older 3953 would allow me to swap parts between the two pistols if necessary. Is this accurate?
    Last edited by slowroll; 05-30-2016 at 10:26 PM.

User Tag List