Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: TQ use quick AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Trying to get the windlass locked into the little triangle.
    Try this. All directional references are your own view.

• Orient the tunnel of the SOFTT-W (flat pad everything is attached to) along the inside of the arm, on the flattest spot available. The triangle should be oriented up/forward, buckle down/rearward. It's much easier to work inside than outside over the top of the arm.
    • Pull the strap downward, taking the excess of the loop through the buckle closing the circumference, making it as tight as possible.
    • Turn the windlass clockwise until occlusion, then another 1/4 turn or so past the triangle.
    • With the windlass in that position, snag the triangle with your first finger or thumb depending on digit length.
    • While you have the triangle snagged, pull the windlass rearward toward you in a brisk tug. There's a quantity of space/play in the slot of the windlass you're taking up.
    • Allow the windlass to rotate counterclockwise that 1/4 turn back to where it is inline with the triangle.
    • Lift the bottom end of the windlass away from the tunnel driving the upper portion to the tunnel.
    • Pull the triangle to the windlass end with your finger/thumb and/or push the windlass forward into the triangle (again, manipulating the play in that slot).

When practiced in such a manner, placement and orientation consistent with the above is conditioned so there's no extra brain-work. This method has helped a number of folks I've worked with.
    Last edited by ST911; 06-01-2016 at 10:49 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Using this method, I was able to self apply the SOFTT-W in less time and more consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    Using this method, I was able to self apply the SOFTT-W in less time and more consistently.

That's the method I practice and show for self aid.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    That's the method I practice and show for self aid.
    (+) Pulling the strap across the body (again, working inward) makes taking the slack out of the loop easier. Leaving too much strap loose is a critical error many make, resulting in excess windlass turns, gathered material underneath, and a more difficult time securing the windlass.

(-) It leaves the tunnel atop or on the outside of the arm, again making you work away from the body where you aren't as strong, dextrous, nor where it's visible. Note SBS's struggle with that.

(+) Having it on top or outside does make it easy to lever the windlass to the triangle.

(alternative) Place the tunnel atop the arm, pinning it in place with your chin/face, and pull downward or inward as you prefer. Rotate it to the inside.

One way to mitigate some of the strap and buckle issues is to pre-work the TQ before placing it in your gear. Remove and reattach the buckle until it pops more freely. Pulling the strap back and forth through the buckle smooths that travel up a bit too.
    Last edited by ST911; 06-02-2016 at 11:38 AM.

I am very much interested in some feedback on the RATS TQ from some names I trust(i.e. well established P-F members). There are reviews available, both negative and positive, but I don't know them or if they have any motives and/or biases. I have a couple CATs but they're in an IFAK on a padded belt or in a pack, neither of which are with me very often. On the other hand I routinely carry a CLEER Medical EDC Pocket Kit containing a RATS TQ(pro tip from ToddG) simply because it's so small and convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by philpac33 View Post
    I am very much interested in some feedback on the RATS TQ from some names I trust(i.e. well established P-F members). There are reviews available, both negative and positive, but I don't know them or if they have any motives and/or biases. I have a couple CATs but they're in an IFAK on a padded belt or in a pack, neither of which are with me very often. On the other hand I routinely carry a CLEER Medical EDC Pocket Kit containing a RATS TQ(pro tip from ToddG) simply because it's so small and convenient.
    Happy to help, but there's a point at which discussion/explanation runs out of gas. This is the best way to find out what works for you and not, from my earlier post.

Deliberate 1- and 2-handed practice, in a variety of body positions and states of disability, quickly distinguishes all of the TQ products available from each other
    Buy a RATS, bury it in your pocket, then... "Massive hem to your R upper arm. EXECUTE." Left arm. Lights on. Lights off. Hands covered in gun lube. Standing, prone, supine, fetal. Just go do it.
    Last edited by ST911; 06-06-2016 at 10:44 AM.

Instead of starting a new thread.

Description of event:

Male suffered a severe laceration to the hand. Laceration was deep enough to cut an artery which produced thick red blood squirting from the open wound.

Actions taken:

Application of SOF T Wide TQ was immediately done over a sweater at the high bicep area. TQ was tightened until it could not be tightened anymore. Arterial spray became sporadic, but continued. Second TQ (CAT) was applied directly above the first TQ. This stopped the spray, male was rushed to ER and directly into surgery from which he was in stable condition.

Observations:

Wearing the Ryker AFAK allowed me to almost instantly apply the first TQ. It was off my ankle and on his arm in less than two seconds. Second TQ was supplied by another officer.

Males sweater may have caused the first TQ to be ineffective or diminished it's effectiveness.

Areas for improvement:

My other TQs were in my bag in my car. If I had been the sole responding officer I'd have needed to run back to my car to deploy another TQ. Maybe carrying two TQs in my AFAK would work better than carrying one and an extra bandage?

The quick response was the saving factor here, he would have bled out if anyone in the chain took their time and/or did not have the proper ability to apply a TQ quickly. I was not the first on scene and those before me did not do anything.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

VoodooMan

Thanks for sharing the AAR and great job!
    Owner of Ryker Nylon Gear - Ryker Nylon Gear Facebook

Way to be JohnnyOnTheSpot, VDM!

Keep doing the good work!

VDMSR.com

User Tag List