Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Exodus' continues at the Dallas Police Department

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    Where is a fresh boot supposed to go to get experience? Is your municipality just too rough and under-resourced for rookies? Are you hiring people with "experience" from low-crime podunk towns, similar "small and medium municipalities" as yours, or large cities that have substantial crime but the resources to bring up rookies?
    Our AO is not rough...at all. It should be easy for a rookie to function in this environment. We are hiring guys with experience from larger agencies who have boat loads of high crime area experience and we get them because we pay. PERIOD. We just hired a Detective with 10 years experience from the same agency I started at. More money and less BS is what we offered. He jumped on it and didn't look back. I tell rookies if they want real experience go somewhere like Durham, Raleigh, Henderson, Wilson, Rocky Mount, etc...areas with high crime rates if they want to see how difficult it can be. It's a cake walk here. Not even joking.

Our last rookie quit because he had to rifle through a dead guys pockets to find his ID. The dead guy had OD'd on heroin. I spoke with him about it and he looked like he was about to flip out. He quit the next day. Came into Roll Call in shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops and dropped off a box with his issued equipment. His parents paid a boat load for him to go to college and get a 4-year degree in CJ. Before that OD he went to a domestic call that was fairly heated and HE LEFT HIS FTO ALONE in the house to deal with it! FTO looks around like WTH!? Rookie said it looked like he had it handled so he walked out to get some air...Wasted time and effort IMO. He's just the picture of what we are now getting. Played on his game console all his life and thinks that fighting in the real world is like a damn video game. Reality kicked him square in the nuts. No one knows how to fight anymore. The taser isn't the end-all-be-all its been made out to be. Let one fail to stop a suspect and watch what happens to a new employee. They'll just stand there in awe, not knowing WTF to do next. He really did us a favor by quitting half way through FTO as we wouldn't have to waste more time on him. I think he's playing in a garage band now or some shit.

Is it a training issue? Yes! But shouldn't they get a lot of that in the academy? But like I said, this guy couldn't function under stress. How's the Detective we hired doing? GREAT! No problems because he worked in a shitty environment at a shitty agency (about 115 officers) with shitty pay, with shitty supervisors who gave zero shits about him or anything else other than how they looked or closing a case. I'm not trying to suggest we are the greatest agency as we have our issues as well. We have shitheads just like everyone else. They filter out soon enough by doing something incredibly stupid on or off duty like getting a DWI or whipping their Johnson out to show the store clerk in the back room or getting into a domestic with their spouse and spraying them with OC or...

Just over 4 years left til 30...

Kefus,

I don't think that is a training issue. I think it is a raising kids in America issue.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Our last rookie quit because he had to rifle through a dead guys pockets to find his ID. The dead guy had OD'd on heroin. I spoke with him about it and he looked like he was about to flip out. He quit the next day. Came into Roll Call in shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops and dropped off a box with his issued equipment. His parents paid a boat load for him to go to college and get a 4-year degree in CJ. Before that OD he went to a domestic call that was fairly heated and HE LEFT HIS FTO ALONE in the house to deal with it! FTO looks around like WTH!? Rookie said it looked like he had it handled so he walked out to get some air...Wasted time and effort IMO. He's just the picture of what we are now getting.
    Holy fuck... That's orders of magnitude worse than what I was imagining.

Thanks for the info, that makes more sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Kefus,

I don't think that is a training issue. I think it is a raising kids in America issue.
    It's also demographic issue. Or rather, these particular manifestations of the "raising kids in America issue" seem to be hallmarks of certain demographics. The fact that the example kid got even a dime from his parents for college says a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post

Our last rookie quit because he had to rifle through a dead guys pockets.
    Maybe recruit from NOPD?

It's a quandary. I've always thought that there should be a pre-academy ride-along period with a heads-up, people-friendly FTO who has a thumbs up or thumbs down vote on final hiring.

Gives a young cherub a chance to see what they're getting into and would weed out those folks who aren't well suited before tens of thousands are spent. Probably too arbitrary for government H/R standards though.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Our small PD is suffering due to having a lower starting pay compared to a couple of neighbors and our town council refusing to buy into the state hazardous duty retirement plan that nearly all our regional neighbors have. That's hurting us more than anything because our experienced folks are leaving for agencies with the good retirement. The chief has been fighting for years and our council would rather buy antique phone booths and clocks. I've got 11 years and I'm one of the most senior (experience wise) patrol guys there. The average experience level of a patrol officer is about 4 years at my agency. Hiring is difficult but we get lackluster folks, out of maybe 100 candidates will wind up lucky with 1 or 2 good people, sometimes it's so bad you have to start all over because you can't approve any candidates. The younger folks are so different in their beliefs an approach, exactly like Keefus mentioned. The sense of entitlement is unreal.

Site Supporter
    The possible upside to all this is that for somebody who really WANTS to get into LE and is willing to pay their dues and work hard, then the time could hardly be better for you to start a career. The job is all about common sense, compassion, building a varied skillset and just plain busting your ass at work. If you're willing to do that and have a good background, you're freakin' golden.

Just look for organizations that aren't a total mess. There are plenty of opportunities with places like that here in the DFW area, both midsize and larger.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 05-27-2016 at 02:17 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Kefus,

Small portion of raising kids (low expectations, no drive to achieve...), small portion education (low expectations, no drive to achieve...) and big portion selection and training.

Selection needs to focus on identifying folks with the right mindset and work ethic. Not the right demographic. Maybe the selection process can include a tour at the morgue or some such activity that can sort the wheat from the chaff. If you select the correct candidate the specific skill sets (unless other issues crop up later) can be learned by most folks.

Think positive. The guy had the sense to quit before he became a liability and got someone hurt or killed. He atleast had the good sense to realize this wasn't for him and acted instead of let bad things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post

Just look for organizations that aren't a total mess. There are plenty of opportunities with places like that here in the DFW area, both midsize and larger.
    I moved to Tx specifically for this job and my dept and frankly, I would do it again.

Our biggest hurdle right now is our recruiters don't know how to recruit.

How hard is it to push a PD that works 4-10s a week, can make 6 digits in patrol (with OT) and has an amazing firearms training program?

I mean like multi day firearms training classes where they provide ammo, counts as a work day and you can pretty much carry any gun you want.

Maybe I should recruit from PF?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat View Post
    I moved to Tx specifically for this job and my dept and frankly, I would do it again.

Our biggest hurdle right now is our recruiters don't know how to recruit.

How hard is it to push a PD that works 4-10s a week, can make 6 digits in patrol (with OT) and has an amazing firearms training program?

I mean like multi day firearms training classes where they provide ammo, counts as a work day and you can pretty much carry any gun you want.

Maybe I should recruit from PF?
    Maybe change your name to SouthernHeat? :-) PM me if you don't mind, I'd love to know where you work.

User Tag List