Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Exodus' continues at the Dallas Police Department

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    The exodus is also occurring at the fire department.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/dallas-fire...ency/432359679

I don't think much of Acevedo from what I've seen from him on the news and heard from a couple of Austin guys. It'll be interesting to see how he does in Houston, and see how he does when he's separated from Austin politics.
    If he had no backbone in Austin, he wont have one in Houston. Hope I'm wrong and that he was just over ridden by Austin stupidity, but am not holding my breath.

I replied to an apparently mandatory intra-department survey that I would likely retire in 2018, and showed that health of myself or family were significant, though not decisive, factors. Then, two weekends ago, I seriously strained some back and abdominal oblique muscles, off the clock, naturally, that has me wondering if I might want to move that date quite a bit closer. I really would rather not leave during this Great HPD Exodus of 2016/2017, but it hurts to move while geared-up for patrol duty, and I am not so resilient anymore. I will try to hang in there, at least long enough to finishing evaluating Class 229, in May/June, then assess the situation.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-24-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I replied to an apparently mandatory intra-department survey that I would likely retire in 2018, and showed that health of myself or family were significant, though not decisive, factors. Then, two weekends ago, I seriously strained some back and abdominal oblique muscles, off the clock, naturally, that has me wondering if I might want to move that date quite a bit closer. I really would rather not leave during this Great HPD Exodus of 2016/2017, but it hurts to move while geared-up for patrol duty, and I am not so resilient anymore. I will try to hang in there, at least long enough to finishing evaluating Class 229, in May/June, then assess the situation.

I wish you best of luck regardless of what you end up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    I wish you best of luck regardless of what you end up doing.
    Thanks. The back is better now. Apparently it was strained muscles, with one muscle adding to the drama by severely spasming now and then. My next significant factors regarding retirement will be family needs, as a second grand-baby is due, on or about early January 2018, and my Dad will be age 85 in late January.

I will start evaluating a PPO, from Class 229, in very late May or early June, then another in June.

The Texas legislature is working on HB 43 and SB 2190 this week, which will affect my Houston Police retirement system, but nothing they will do is likely to make much, if any difference, for me, at this point.

video autostart in below link...

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Nea....html?_osource

The Dallas Police Department continues to lose officers faster than it can hire and train new ones.
    As of July 24, there were 3,115 sworn officers in the department. That number includes trainees at the police academy and injured officers who have been temporarily taken off of the streets, according to a department spokesperson.

As recently as the start of the 2015-2016 fiscal year, there were 3,490 sworn officers in the Dallas Police Department.
    The exodus of officers has only grown in recent years. In the 2014-2015 fiscal year, 242 police officers left the department. In ’15-’16, 294 officers left Dallas police. And as of July 24, 344 Dallas police officers had left the department during the 2016-2017 fiscal year.

Representatives of two of the city’s four police unions — the Dallas Police Association and the Dallas Fraternal Order of Police — predict the number of officers who will leave the force by mid-September will exceed 500. Messages to the Black Police Association of Greater Dallas and the Latino Peace Officers Association went unreturned.
    At this rate, more than 1,000 police men and women will have left the Dallas Police Department in less than three years.
    “If we reach 1,000 officers, that is the population of almost three full substations. So if you took Northwest, North Central and Northeast [patrol divisions] and just took them out of the picture, that is what you’ve lost,” said Sgt. Michael Mata, President of the Dallas Police Association, who works patrol in the Northeast division. “That’s why we’re at a catastrophic state.”
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Loosing 880 Officers in three years is crazy with a projection of 1,000 by September. It only gets worse from there.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    My buddy is about to get hired there. He's been a cop for almost 10 years, but I think he has to go through the full academy.

I don't even drive to Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    My buddy is about to get hired there. He's been a cop for almost 10 years, but I think he has to go through the full academy.

I don't even drive to Dallas.
    That's a load of crap...no wonder they are having issues filling their ranks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    That's a load of crap...no wonder they are having issues filling their ranks.
    I think they are supposed to have a lateral academy, but none are scheduled. Who knows! Ft. Worth PD had a great reputation at one time. I wonder if they are still a good place to work.

User Tag List