Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Exodus' continues at the Dallas Police Department

Yea its funny seems like most of the places they recruit are the same places you would want to go on a couple of days Department paid vacations.
    They have also done heavy recruiting in Puerto Rico. Why do that when we have 50 states or possibly 57 if Obama was right.
    Very few of the folks from Puerto Rico have worked out in the long run, speaking good clear English especially under stress has been one of the problems.

Just a simple question: will things get better at all? I get that the city of Dallas has fiscal issues and I get that Brown has affected morale and all that. But can we expect sunshine and rainbows at the end of this storm?

As I've moved to DFW, I've kept learning about the history of DPD (what a cutting-edge place it was once was!) It sucks to see all of this legacy go down the toilet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Just a simple question: will things get better at all? I get that the city of Dallas has fiscal issues and I get that Brown has affected morale and all that. But can we expect sunshine and rainbows at the end of this storm?

As I've moved to DFW, I've kept learning about the history of DPD (what a cutting-edge place it was once was!) It sucks to see all of this legacy go down the toilet.
    I think you can stick a fork in the City of Dallas and DPD. The years long pattern of no leadership, corrupt leadership (Terrell Bolton), flavor hiring and promotion, fiscal irresponsibility and the disaster that the pension fund has become have combined to create a situation that defies any decent or cost effective solution. It's like watching an old friend destroy themselves.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I think you can stick a fork in the City of Dallas and DPD. The years long pattern of no leadership, corrupt leadership (Terrell Bolton), flavor hiring and promotion, fiscal irresponsibility and the disaster that the pension fund has become have combined to create a situation that defies any decent or cost effective solution. It's like watching an old friend destroy themselves.
    Apologies for the thread drift, where does one go to find a fulfilling career in LE? Are there any major metropolitan areas that are "the place" to work?
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jca1386 View Post
    Apologies for the thread drift, where does one go to find a fulfilling career in LE? Are there any major metropolitan areas that are "the place" to work?
    There may be, but I'm not aware of where. It looks like being in LE is a real roll of the dice these days, with hopes things will improve. If you're looking in the Dallas area, I can tell you of some good PDs in the area that are busy and hiring.

[img]It's like watching an old friend destroy themselves.[/img]

It's so sad. San Jose and SFPD headed down this path as well. I see a lot of parallels with DPD and SJPD.

As for me, I'm looking at the agencies to the east of Dallas, but I haven't considered DPD proper (for the same I didn't stay and start my career somewhere like SJ or SF).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    [img]As for me, I'm looking at the agencies to the east of Dallas, but I haven't considered DPD proper (for the same I didn't stay and start my career somewhere like SJ or SF).
    Dude, it's not too far east of DFW where the banjo music gets loud and where your mama and daddy may also be your aunt and uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Dude, it's not too far east of DFW where the banjo music gets loud and where your mama and daddy may also be your aunt and uncle.
    No doubt that shoe fit's over here in the piney woods of ETX but even more so further east in the Clark/Miculek AO where I fled from.

Site Supporter
    Great article by a guy that has been turning over slimy rocks, journalistically speaking, for years in Dallas. I shared that article on FB and got some traction. Dallas continues its slide towards Detroitville.

User Tag List