Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Exodus' continues at the Dallas Police Department

Not counting how many officers that DPD is losing, the way the man power is being applied is a huge problem also.

How much work are you going to get out of guys when the City of Dallas wrecks the pension system.

They had to cancel 3 academy classes before they got enough to put on one class. Its a giant mess.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra 223 View Post
    Not counting how many officers that DPD is losing, the way the man power is being applied is a huge problem also.

(snipped)
    Application/distribution of manpower seems to be a significant problem in many large PDs.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Mismanagement of resources is a huge problem here. If we had competent management, shit that works, and didn't get sent to every stupid little call under then sun, I think we would be fine with 2,500 sworn and 1,500 civilian. Currently we have about 3,200 sworn and 1,000 civilian, and probably need about 3,800-4,000 sworn with the current system.
    This, a whole lot of this. Dispatch and officers need to have a little more discretion on what we are sent to and what justifies a response. My thoughts has always been a good online reporting system and to give officers the option to contact and clear certain calls by phone. You don't need police response for every little civil matter and screw those people who "want an officer to come out" for no reason. While I realize that kissing babies and shaking hands is part of our jobs that shit comes second to our primary functions. With current staffing at most departments it's just not practical.

Misapplication of manpower in a lot of PDs is huge. Patrol is where the major shortages generally are and a lot of departments that are short handed have tons of sworn admin types crawling around that could be pulled back to the street to mitigate shortages.
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 02-11-2017 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    This, a whole lot of this. Dispatch and officers need to have a little more discretion on what we are sent to and what justifies a response. My thoughts has always been a good online reporting system and to give officers the option to contact and clear certain calls by phone. You don't need police response for every little civil matter and screw those people who "want an officer to come out" for no reason. While I realize that kissing babies and shaking hands is part of our jobs that shit comes second to our primary functions. With current staffing at most departments it's just not practical.

Misapplication of manpower in a lot of PDs is huge. Patrol is where the major shortages generally are and a lot of departments that are short handed have tons of sworn admin types crawling around that could be pulled back to the street to mitigate shortages.
    The world is full of folks who do not want a job; they want a "position."

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    The world is full of folks who do not want a job; they want a "position."
    Now I get how "secondstoryguy" got his handle.

Having watched some federal agencies that I worked or associated with run into the ground I feel a lot of sympathy for those dealing with the woes of the DPD. A portent of things to come unless things get turned around (fast).
    Last edited by blues; 02-11-2017 at 09:20 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Now I get how "secondstoryguy" got his handle.

Having watched some federal agencies that I worked or associated with run into the ground I feel a lot of sympathy for those dealing with the woes of the DPD. A portent of things to come unless things get turned around (fast).
    Nothing is getting turned around fast here. Kunkle left the department in pretty good shape, and Brown ran the place into the ground. If any leadership shows up around here and the city council backs them, it'll be at least 15 years from today to get things fixed. It'll probably be closer to 20 years. That's about how long it will take to get rid of the really good officers that have been turned deadweight by the politics of the last five years. It took NYPD 15 years to get rid of most of the deadweight that was created by the budget cuts, mass layoffs and rehires of the late 70's and early 80's, and really strong leadership from Bratton to get things turned around.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

The next Chief will just be a "YES" man for city hall, nothing else will be tolerated.
    I dont know how this is all going to work with the low pay and what they want to do with the pension. All I can see is lowered standards. You have to pay and entice for quality recruits.
    People in the past would come to Dallas because it was Dallas even though our pay was lower but good pension, now we have neither.
    Good recruits are now just going to other agencies or leaving after the academy and training. A win win for both recruit and other agency.
    We are no where close to a fix of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra 223 View Post
    The next Chief will just be a "YES" man for city hall, nothing else will be tolerated.
    I dont know how this is all going to work with the low pay and what they want to do with the pension. All I can see is lowered standards. You have to pay and entice for quality recruits.
    People in the past would come to Dallas because it was Dallas even though our pay was lower but good pension, now we have neither.
    Good recruits are now just going to other agencies or leaving after the academy and training. A win win for both recruit and other agency.
    We are no where close to a fix of any kind.
    I don't know how much lower they can go on standards. From what I understand 1 out 10 applicants are getting a job offer, and most of those don't ever start because they get dicked around on their hiring date. The only other option is lateraling in gypsy cops. No one can hire officers right now, that's why the suburbs are poaching Dallas officers. If/when the hiring situation improves they'll drop the lateral programs like a bad habit. There's a lot of liability in hiring another agency's training, but that's the reality of the current situation.

I don't see things changing for a while around here either. I once told Brown at a detail that it doesn't cost anything to treat people decently, and all he could do is tell me that I was a chronic complainer and a know it all. Until the city figures out that they are dealing with people, we are going to keep looking for rock bottom as an agency.

What kind of real chief would wants a job here? It's going to be a constant battle with the city and the rest of the command staff over every little thing. They are going to have a tough time even finding a yes man. When Brown walked out the door and Pughes was appointed interim chief, half the command staff that outranked Pughes got passed over. When numbers 2-11 in the command staff aren't capable of taking over the job, there are deep deep problems.
    Last edited by txdpd; 02-12-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

FYI, there are Dallas Police Department recruiting posters in the basic recruit classrooms at Valencia Criminal Justice Institute in Orlando, FL. They are apparently casting the net far and wide.

When I was going to Arizona State Dallas PD was recruiting there every semester. I almost applied but I didn't want to leave AZ.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List