Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry as Fashion Statement?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Second, what does it matter? He, like all of you, is not getting into a gunfight today so what ninja badassery he, and you, stuffs in his pants is irrelevant.

Thats fanfuckingtastic a real life clairvoyant! You got this weekends lottery numbers for me while you're at it?
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

So, as someone who isn't terribly familiar with the P 08 Luger*, why such the wrath?

Provided you vetted its reliability with your carry load, the only dramatic disadvantage that I know of* against other single stack pistols is that the sights suck.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Sights, trigger suck. It is a beautiful piece of machine work that is very complicated and finicky.

Not sure I'd want even the smallest chance of explaining why I shot someone with a gun issued by the wrong side in WWII.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

He's a great photographer who frequently confuses range toys for working tools.

I've amassed a bit of experience with a P.08-specifically, a 1938-vintage, matching component Russian capture piece meticulously mechanically restored, tuned and magnificently refinished by the late John Martz. At least once a year I run it in an IDPA match, along with our Area Coordinator (yeah, we're both sick puppies...). In my opinion, a P.08 can certainly be a viable carry weapon-with caveats.

First: The gun absolutely must be examined by a QUALIFIED gunsmith-and magazines and ammunition need to be included in the process;

Second: Lugers can successfully use hollowpoint bullets-with the correct springing/tuning of the gun, the magazine selection selection and tuning, and judicious selection of cartridge.

Third: Proper use and disengagement of a Luger safety lever is a learned skill.

Forth: Reloading a Luger is a learned skill, as the angle of magazine insertion is somewhat awkward, and the narrow and unbeveled magazine well doesn't help in the process.

Fifth: While the gun is an instinctive pointer, the OEM sights, while accurate, are very difficult to speedily acquire, and the shape of the front sight and rear sight notch are intrinsically both small and difficult to align.

Sixth: There's a lot of metal-on-metal reciprocation going on-effective lubrication (and lubricants) are critical.

Seventh: Don't count on a consistently functioning toggle hold-open after the last cartridge is expended, even in a tuned gun.

Eighth: Concealed carry holsters for Lugers are pretty much a custom-order affair-with at least one very effective exception: Tactical Tailor's Low Profile OWB holster is surprisingly effective with P.08s, and very inexpensive. One caveat: If you choose to use the retaining thumbbreak strap, to avoid scratching your finish, have them apply a cloth protective piece to the grippers where they rub against the gun. Similarly, the narrow and relatively tall P.08 magazine requires some careful attention for spare magazine pouches-and when you're testing, test with a fully LOADED spare magazine, as the follower button will be properly positioned to effectively evaluate the pouch-if unloaded, it will protrude/scrape into the magazine pouch's body, and you'll be misled to think that the pouch won't work. http://www.tacticaltailor.com/lowprofileholster.aspx

Ninth, I've had excellent results with 115gr cartridges-but John Martz tuned my specific gun for Winchester standard-pressure 115gr ball, which was his recommendation. In the rare occasions I used 124 gr ball, it also worked fine. However, in mine, 147gr American Eagle cartridges initiated jams. YMMV, but caveat emptor...

Tenth, With late-war Type IV FXO extruded tube magazines, I've had excellent results with running hollowpoints; specifically Winchester 115gr Silvertips, complying with John Martz's recommendation of Winchester fodder. My supposition is that the slightly higher cartridge/bullet presentation of the topmost round in the tube with this magazine, possibly combined with its more durable feed lips inherent to the extruded steel manufacture lead to a better and possibly more stable positioning angle of the cartridges during the mechanical chambering process. Two of my FXO magazines were specifically tuned by John Martz to my P.08; the third was not, and it works just fine (albeit not quite as silkily smoothly as the ones ministered to by John).

So-in my opinion, a P.08 certainly can be made into a viable carry/concealed carry piece with contemporary hollowpoint ammunition. But would I deliberately choose if for such use if I had a more modern alternative, like, say, a Glock 17? Not on your life....

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-26-2016 at 05:18 PM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    But would I deliberately choose if for such use if I had a more modern alternative, like, say, a Glock 17? Not on your life....
    That's the thing. I used the photo caption "If Grandpa's old war trophy is all you have, would you know how to use it to save your life?" or words to that effect as an excuse to sneak a picture of my 1920 DWM commercial into my column at S.W.A.T. once, but "Ditch your P320 Compact for Grandpa's War Trophy!" is a different matter altogether.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Yes, it is.

I got well over the LARPing SHTFantasy nonsense sometime back.
    I only post here to get experience points in firearms and attend training for experience points in melee. Is that wrong?
    Last edited by Mitchell, Esq.; 05-26-2016 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    That's the thing. I used the photo caption "If Grandpa's old war trophy is all you have, would you know how to use it to save your life?" or words to that effect as an excuse to sneak a picture of my 1920 DWM commercial into my column at S.W.A.T. once, but "Ditch your P320 Compact for Grandpa's War Trophy!" is a different matter altogether.
    Tongue-in-cheek: So as long that we go with the supposition that SIG's performance/quality control issues have been favorably resolved in their P320s.....(or insert the contemporary selection of one's choice...)

Best, Jon

User Tag List