Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I won’t be doing the 2000 round challenge

I enjoy reading all the results, but I like to lube often. I also don't own any guns that aren't very popular and very proven, so everyone kinda knows what a Glock or a Sig can/can't do.

I'm sitting here by a Sig MK25 that has gone at the very least, 3K rounds without cleaning, but it gets lubed every 300 rounds (every day) or so. It's filthy, but runs like a top...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Steaz View Post
    I don't have any range guns. Every one of my pistols in the starting lineup for the carry roster.
    I don't get the "carry roster" thing, but I'm not the boss of you, so rock on.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    I think maybe some folks are reading too much into the 2K challenge thing. If you don't see a reason for it or whatever, then don't do it. Nobody is telling you that you should do it. I think those who have done the 2K challenge generally understand that the most important thing is that your gun goes bang at the moment you need it. The 2K challenge doesn't take anything away from that. It isn't being upheld as some ultimate standard by which pistols should be measured. I had fun when I did it and I would have shot the rounds anyway. The gun I used, a 9mm 1911, didn't suffer any harsh wear from it.

It's really just not a big deal.

The 2K challenge offers a data point, nothing more, nothing less.

I used to think the way the OP did, cleaning my guns religiously after every range session.

As I started to dedicate myself to really learning to shoot my views regarding cleaning and maintenance turned to: is the gun so dirty it is malfunctioning? If yes, clean it! If no, open another box of ammo and get after it!

Once you really start to put 1000's of rounds rounds through your guns you realize they are consumables, not collectables, and you begin to treat them accordingly. Lube, maintain, shoot, repeat.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 05-25-2016 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Glocks may not care much, but I’ve still seen chrome flake off the steel “rail” tabs in a very short time.
    Glocks have chrome rail tabs?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    Glocks have chrome rail tabs?
    Forget it, he's rolling.

Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I tend to be the person who doesn't go more than a few hundred rounds without cleaning but I've decided to do a 2000 round challenge to prove to myself that they aren't some delicate tool. It seems to me if there is any damage from not lubing, the gun will tell you by malfunctioning. If it starts doing that then test is over anyways. Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    I tend to be the person who doesn't go more than a few hundred rounds without cleaning but I've decided to do a 2000 round challenge to prove to myself that they aren't some delicate tool. It seems to me if there is any damage from not lubing, the gun will tell you by malfunctioning. If it starts doing that then test is over anyways. Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can keep going. I had about 5 malfunctions in my most recent test and I kept going (That said, I was able to easily diagnose the source of all 5 malfunctions, too).

Quite frankly, I just don't think the 2k round challenge will be a problem at all for the majority of guns from the majority of big-name manufacturers. If you search through that thread, you will see Glocks, M&Ps, 1911s, SIGs, Berettas, etc. all cruise through the 2k round challenge without difficulty. Assuming you aren't shooting a Borchardt or something, the odds of you doing any damage to your gun are next to 0%.

I will say that I would not do this to any of my S&W revolvers. A Gp100, maybe... but not to my pre-lock smiths. Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Steaz View Post
    I don't have any range guns. Every one of my pistols in the starting lineup for the carry roster. SO yeah if I shoot a few hundred rounds I probably "clean it" (as in boresnake and some patches, five minutes field stripped).

I'm not going 2k rounds without cleaning why would I do that lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It may be that he only has one or two guns. I know that when I was in college I only could afford to have one carry gun, maybe two, which meant that if I wanted to practice I needed to shoot the carry gun(s).

Now, as a grownup, I'm a firm believer in a carry gun and a training gun(s), set up identically (or as near as will allow depending on circumstances) and used for their intended purposes. So I wouldn't think twice about a 2k challenge on my training gun since it probably already did that without me trying to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Sports jargon. Starting lineup, roster...thought it was universal lol

All of my handguns are carry guns (on the "carry roster") and all of my handguns get carried (starting lineup).

I know it starts to sound a little scary, like maybe I have to register them or put a select few on a carry permit and only those can be carried, but fortunately I don't live in a stupid state like that.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It may be that he only has one or two guns. I know that when I was in college I only could afford to have one carry gun, maybe two, which meant that if I wanted to practice I needed to shoot the carry gun(s).

Now, as a grownup, I'm a firm believer in a carry gun and a training gun(s), set up identically (or as near as will allow depending on circumstances) and used for their intended purposes. So I wouldn't think twice about a 2k challenge on my training gun since it probably already did that without me trying to.
    That used to be the case. I only had one gun at all (which was my EDC) for awhile and I only had one one semi auto handgun for the first 4 years or so (5 shot snub as a backup or deep carry, but strong preference towards carrying the semi).

These days I have more but not to the point where I buy any handguns that I can't/won't carry. I can't be sure what gun I will carry 'tomorrow' so I generally clean (just field strip real quick wipe down takes a couple minutes) whatever I shoot 'today'. If I shot a couple hundred rounds or fewer, and plan to shoot that gun again with oh say a week, I may leave it alone.
    Last edited by Steaz; 05-26-2016 at 07:32 AM.

User Tag List