Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Why I Switched to Double Action Semi-Autos --- Lucky Gunner

Site Supporter
    I have tried sushi - several different varieties, primarily to placate my otherwise sensible bride. With all due respect to different opinions here on taste, I didn't like ANY of it. And, if indeed sushi was eaten throughout history, does that change the taste? Here's a point to ponder, people: If you use sushi for bait, does that make you an accomplice to commit cannabalism?

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    What is funny, is I have had to sit through the Wayne Dobbs advanced course on "Minner" selection at the local roadside store and bait shop during my crash course in being a Texan, yet he refuses to relent on the Sushi. He just can't get past that one. We will likely take a tour of SoCal cop food places instead to get his advanced rating without doing Sushi. Figure a Hollenbeck Burrito, Langers #19, Philipps, the Pantry, and a Tommy's chile burger should get him there without the Sushi.
    Don't overlook a pastrami sandwich from The Hat (preferably the original one at Garfield and Valley in Alhambra). The Northwoods in San Gabriel or Covina is worth a stop as well.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Love me some sushi. Cooked or not. California rolls with some soy and wasabi good stuff. Love me a steak too. Just because somebody likes sushi does not make them pretentious either lol. I look like a redneck at a Kanye concert when I go but I do not care.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    You should never shoot a TDA this way. All group shooting should be 6 shots, DA/SA de-cock, DA/SA, de-cock, DA/SA de-cock.

This will pay huge dividends on your DA ability, and remove the concept of a "transition" from DA to SA. When people talk about the difficulty of the DA shot, or the difficulty of the transition, what they really almost always mean is that they really haven't put in the work, or don't understand what work to put in, or are just repeating junk they heard from other people who don't know.
    This. Is. Gold.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Much appreciated SLG et al.

I've got a while to practice my DA first shot on the draw in dry practice, because going to my range right now would definitely be wet practice. This is what it looked like before we got dumped on for 4 more days:

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Chris's stuff is BY FAR my favorite stuff on the net.
    Every time I watch one of his videos, I wonder why I don't follow him on youtube or something. Great quality in production, content, and delivery.

Chris

Site Supporter
    OK, watched the vids and read the comments here. Nothing substantive to add from an "expert" position (of which I'm certainly not), but here are my experiences as a hobbyist...

Background: Mostly DA revolver shooter (of my 12 handguns, 9 are DA revolvers, 1 is a SA 22/45, another is a Glock 19, and the last one is a Kentucky pistol with fiber optic sights to tweak traditionalists. I'm VERY comfortable with DA triggers.

Frankly, the Glock, even after installing a NY1 spring and - connector, still gives me the heebie jeebies at times. I've read too many anecdotes about the guns going off due to worn holsters or foreign objects catching triggers. I also have two young children in the house. While I'm not in the habit of leaving guns around, sometimes "stuff happens" and a gun may be left unsecured (not saying I do, just that one can think of scenarios). My youngest has no interest in guns and isn't likely to touch them (prob due to them being "normalized" her entire life). The oldest shoots with me and is pedantic about safety to the point of lecturing me about not engaging the safety on the 22/45 after the gun is empty with the slide locked back. I worry what would happen if one of them were to handle the Glock and be careless with the trigger. Then there is the risk of unintended discharge in stressful situations. My finger is trained for heavy DA triggers. I still have some issues with doubling the Glock at the range. It happens about 1-2 times per 100 rounds. If it happens at the range, what about when I'm in a shoot/no-shoot situation? A training issue for sure, but one I have to work through.

Don't get me wrong, I *like* shooting the Glock and I shoot it better than I expected, but the short, lightish trigger and no safety does cause concern at times. I'd probably have a different view if my shooting background was different...

I'm probably worrying and over-thinking the situation too much, but I can certainly see the value in a DAO or DA/SA pistol for a lot of folks.

BTW, in regards to a safety being a crutch, there are safeties or lock-outs on non-weapon mechanisms as well. I think it's safe to say that humans are imperfect and inconsistent, and that a safety mechanism has value even if individuals don't need them.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by texag View Post
    Much appreciated SLG et al.

I've got a while to practice my DA first shot on the draw in dry practice, because going to my range right now would definitely be wet practice. This is what it looked like before we got dumped on for 4 more days:

Is that TacPro near Stephenville?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Is that TacPro near Stephenville?
    That's TDSA in Ferris. Just south of Dallas off I45.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdog View Post
    That's TDSA in Ferris. Just south of Dallas off I45.
    Correct. Closest range to Dallas that doesnt have stupid rules, prices, or a combination of both.

User Tag List