Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Switched to Double Action Semi-Autos --- Lucky Gunner

Site Supporter
    When I bought my 228 and my 92FC a couple of years ago and began learning their differences from my Glocks, I made it a point to always fire the first round DA, then one and maybe two SA before decocking. Getting DA hits was easier for me being initially trained on S&W K-frame sixguns. I still have to work hard on not jerking the first SA shot. Once I retire from LE in maybe a couple of years and no longer told what I can carry, I intend to spend a lot more quality time with TDA pistols to figure out what all the fuss is about, one way or the other....

This thread earned my 3913 a trip to the range tonight.

Meh, I am going back to a black powder muzzle loader in condition 4.

Carried a P226 DA/SA for 12 years. Decocker runs like the safety on an M4. Love this pistol, strong affinity for it since it was such a big part of my working career. TLG and Sig Sauer were astonished by the round count on my P226. Taught the DA/SA Sig, Beretta and 5906 for a long time. Still see the Sig and Beretta from my student base. I used to hate Glocks and thought that pistols needed to be steel and have a hammer. Having said that, I am not planning on going back to a DA/SA pistol as a full time pistol anytime soon, but have no issue if others make that selection for themselves. Just be proficient with whatever you go with.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Meh, I am going back to a black powder muzzle loader in condition 4.
    Condition 4? That's where the sulfur and saltpeter for the powder haven't been mined yet, right?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Condition 4? That's where the sulfur and saltpeter for the powder haven't been mined yet, right?
    wait wait wait...I thought it was chamber empty, pan empty, no flint in the hammer...

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Whee... this auto spell check in spanish, combined with my lack of practice, is wreaking havoc with my written english! Sorry folks.
    Dude, I thought you were an American or Canadian working in South America...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

For me a manual safety isn't itself a crutch, but it does enable me to use my for real crutch, a single action trigger. How do I know it's a crutch? Because I shoot it better. What's the difference between a crutch and that trigger just being better in my application? Because I'm convinced that a DA trigger is better for threat management than a SA or SFA trigger, yet I lean on the SA because I haven't gotten the training necessary to make me more or less as good with an LEM or DA.

I would dig the heck out of a very focused class in running the DA/LEM, specifically with reference to marksmanship. That would make a great Texas one-day, and is probably simple enough to be done in a Tactical Conference block.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    For me a manual safety isn't itself a crutch, but it does enable me to use my for real crutch, a single action trigger. How do I know it's a crutch? Because I shoot it better. What's the difference between a crutch and that trigger just being better in my application? Because I'm convinced that a DA trigger is better for threat management than a SA or SFA trigger, yet I lean on the SA because I haven't gotten the training necessary to make me more or less as good with an LEM or DA.

I would dig the heck out of a very focused class in running the DA/LEM, specifically with reference to marksmanship. That would make a great Texas one-day, and is probably simple enough to be done in a Tactical Conference block.
    I liked the DAK triggers I've tried, but honestly not enough to consider carrying one over a DA/SA or SFA trigger. Yes, those triggers may be a "crutch" but I doubt a DAK/LEM can be shot to the same level.

I mean, are any USPSA M or GM level shooters running a DAK/LEM in competitions?

I know it's not quite the same and you don't need to be a GM to survive a shooting...and a high performance score on a standardized shooting test with one of the DAO triggers is certainly possible.

But is a DA/SA or SFA trigger really a crutch or is it more akin to running a race in shoes opposed to boots?

I believe there is one person who is on up there in uspsa has 1 or 5 GGI LEM HK's that he competes with.

And to go along with the OP. I compete with a 320 and carry a P250, because double action.
    Last edited by Luke; 05-28-2016 at 06:12 AM.
    i used to wannabe

Excellent videos Chris, thanks.

Dry-practicing with the decocker on my Beretta 92G is as important to me now as dry-practicing with the trigger. I want to be equally as good at not firing the pistol as I am at firing the pistol.

One unexpected benefit is that my pistol's decocker function has improved the same way a trigger improves after dry-practice.
    Last edited by KG; 05-28-2016 at 08:20 AM.

User Tag List