Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Switched to Double Action Semi-Autos --- Lucky Gunner

Most gun buying Americans are clueless as to understanding the difference between a DA/SA and a striker. The reason to love striker pistols is not because they have better triggers than a DA/SA. The reason to love them is they are lightweight to carry, mostly simple to maintain, and cheap to buy. The reason people put up with the weight and expense of metal DA/SA guns is because of how great their triggers can be.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Most gun buying Americans are clueless as to understanding the difference between a DA/SA and a striker. The reason to love striker pistols is not because they have better triggers than a DA/SA. The reason to love them is they are lightweight to carry, mostly simple to maintain, and cheap to buy. The reason people put up with the weight and expense of metal DA/SA guns is because of how great their triggers can be.
    Yes, and plastic DA/SA guns mitigate some of that weight penalty. The other advantage of a Glock, for example, is that, especially for less-experienced shooters, the simplicity of the design promotes a perceived simplicity in manipulation; no hammer, no safety, no decocker, easier slide manipulation because of no hammer spring, etc. For some of us, having a hammer and a DA first shot are seen as good things.

No hammer + no safety + no decocker + no hammer spring +mexican style AIWB carry = easier to shoot your dick-n-balls off.

Glock: Providing birth control to stupid people since 1981 (or so. the wiki is a little vague.)
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Like most things, it all depends on the intended use, and the user preferences... there is no perfect solution for 100% of shooters and their needs. I'm very familiar with all kind of handguns (luckily I spent a lot of time mastering DA revolvers early on), and a glock trigger, 1911, a good DA/SA like the sig P series, or a S&W revolver are my preferences. They all have their pros and cons, and my choice is probably based on personal experience and is not definitve for all users.

I really like the beretta 92, but for my hands the SA trigger break is a bit too much to the rear and it annoys me. Same happened with the steyr M. For other people they may be great.
    I never carry AIWB since I don't like to have a gun pointing to my femoral artery, I use OWB holsters and that + holster selection and training mitigates issues with glocks. People that carry differently may differ.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Every gun shop employee out there should be watching Chris's videos as a guide on how to discuss firearms with normal people.
    +1 bazillion. Imagine the reduction in derp if the fount of gun store wisdom sprung from something like Chris's videos and articles.

LGChris, thanks for putting out stuff you've actually researched and tried with an open mind. Here's hoping it starts a trend in the firearms industry!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

The thoughts stated in the LG bit are very similar to those verbalized or written about by Mas Ayoob and Claude Werner.

Defensive handguns are less shooting tools that they are threat management tools. Nyeti and I have talked on this forum several times about the numbers of bad guys we've had at the end of a muzzle, a DA trigger makes that a little less hinky in my mind. When I switched from a revolver to a S&W 5906 I really didn't think much about the trigger system, was easy to manage the transition. When I switched from the 5906 to Glocks I really thought about what I was doing and how I was doing it.

As of now all of my serious pistols are S&W J frames and Glock 9mms. If there was a DAO or DA/SA handgun that was as sweat resistant as the Glock, or remotely as easy to service, I'd be all over it as a carry piece. A G17 with a NY1 trigger is my current duty gun, add a Gadget and a Keepers' holster and it's most likely going to be my main CCW gun for the rest of my life.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    A G17 with a NY1 trigger is my current duty gun, add a Gadget and a Keepers' holster and it's most likely going to be my main CCW gun for the rest of my life.
    And to be completely honest, when the Gadget is in full production, I'll probably be far more likely to recommend a similar setup to the average person as opposed to one of the half dozen viable DA/SA options. For most folks, Glock+Gadget+quality holster offers a more realistic balance of safety and convenience (not to mention cost) once you consider all the asterisks associated with a DA/SA platform.
    The guy from Lucky Gunner

As mentioned (in parts( by other people, there are some real advantages to DA/SA guns. When you hear someone say they suck, all that tells you is that that person doesn't know how to shoot them. That is their limitation, not yours.

Aside from the threat management stuff, which is very important for everyone in the U.S. (and in 2016, probably anywhere in the world that an American will need a gun with a few notable exceptions), good DA/SA guns actually shoot way better than striker fired guns. They are every bit as fast for the first shot. They are more accurate in general, and also more consistent in their operation, being metal. They are safer for the skilled user.

Really, what's not to like? If you don't enjoy shooting, then you might not like them, since you'll want to shoot them a bit more to really learn the DA trigger. I assume everyone here likes to shoot...:-)

Joking aside, they don't take an inordinate amount of rounds to learn, just some smart drills and your brain front and center to pay attention to what you are doing.

Maybe a DA/SA PF class in the midwest is in order?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    As mentioned (in parts( by other people, there are some real advantages to DA/SA guns. When you hear someone say they suck, all that tells you is that that person doesn't know how to shoot them. That is their limitation, not yours.

Aside from the threat management stuff, which is very important for everyone in the U.S. (and in 2016, probably anywhere in the world that an American will need a gun with a few notable exceptions), good DA/SA guns actually shoot way better than striker fired guns. They are every bit as fast for the first shot. They are more accurate in general, and also more consistent in their operation, being metal. They are safer for the skilled user.

Really, what's not to like? If you don't enjoy shooting, then you might not like them, since you'll want to shoot them a bit more to really learn the DA trigger. I assume everyone here likes to shoot...:-)

Joking aside, they don't take an inordinate amount of rounds to learn, just some smart drills and your brain front and center to pay attention to what you are doing.

Maybe a DA/SA PF class in the midwest is in order?
    yes. SLG do you think da/sa and lem are similar enough that one should consider da/sa advice good lem advice?

The biggest downside of DA/SA is they come packaged inside big, heavy guns.
    Last edited by David S.; 05-26-2016 at 10:23 AM.

User Tag List