Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about transitions

That had been my conclusion aswell, the farther they are the longer it takes. That's what I want to improve upon. I feel like there have been some good suggestions and ideas in here that I definitely will be trying.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Gabe and Les, you guys should post some times of known drills that require a big transistion to something with a no shoot on it so we have something to compare times with. How would you even track your progress without knowing other good shooters times? Is there a standard somewhere I haven't seen?

Or something like transistions you just track your progress compared to yourself?
    These kinds of questions bring up where I am a bad USPSA shooter in that I don't know how long it takes me to do a much wider transition like you are talking about. I think I do fine at them, based on times from a drill in a Steve Anderson class and comparison to others in the class, but I couldn't really name any numbers for you.

I second the general suggestion that including mixed target difficulties is important.

It sounds like you are really talking about wide transitions, and maybe need to focus on snapping your eyes/head to the new target, generating torque in your feet/ankles and driving the gun hard, stopping it smoothly, and seeing enough sight picture for your shot.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

i guess I'll make some sort of live fire drill and shoot it and record the times and then keep working on transistions and come back to that drill to see if what I'm doing is working or not.

So on the wide ones it's ok for your head/eyes to outrun the gun?
    i used to wannabe

I'm running a ~5- 5.5second accelerator now. Because the transistion isn't wide. I'm looking to pickup speed on 20ft transistions, something where you are really moving the gun. In the accelerator you barley move the gun. All you do is refine your sights between targets.

And I've shot it enough to know I always prefer close to far, reload, close to far.

I haven't tried the Blake drill farther than 10 yards.
    Ok, I think I'm tracking you now. The numbers you are throwing out are sporty if you are getting good hits. Both the Blake and Accelerator do work transitions, but not in the way you are looking for (super wide) unless you modify them. The point I was making about the Blake drill earlier is that most of its usefulness in transitions actually comes from increasing the lateral distance between targets progressively while attempting to keep your splits and transitions roughly similar. If you find the targets are too close to you, or too close together for your needs, either move them out further or separate them more; or both. Similar with the Accelerator. See how wide you can push the targets on that drill while keeping overall time around 6s with good hits. Find the point where it starts breaking down, and work on things there.

Fast wide transitions don't just happen, you've got to train your vision to snap to the target and your body to follow suit. Gabe already mentioned it, but for super wide transitions (like, closer to 180) it usually makes more sense to pull the gun in and then do a sort of press-out on the next target.
    TY83544

It seems like there is almost a total consensus that you should lead with your eyes and follow with the gun during transitions.

I'm not trying to call HCM wrong for his experience he cited earlier; I just haven't ever heard of that working well before. It is usually reported as something that people do until they learn the better/right way to transition.

An illustrative example that I think applies fairly well is moving your mouse on a computer screen. Try moving the mouse pointer to something on the screen, without taking your eyes off the mouse pointer at any time. Then try looking at the object you are going to 'transition' the mouse pointer to, and moving the mouse pointer to catch up with your eyes. Sure seems better to me that way.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

So on the wide ones it's ok for your head/eyes to outrun the gun?
    When I think of "outrun the gun" I picture vision arriving on target before gun/sights do, which is what should be happening pretty much always. If you think of it differently, let me know so I can get on the same page. But yes, it is perfectly ok (and desirable) for eyes/head to snap on target before body/gun gets there.
    TY83544

Gabe and Les, you guys should post some times of known drills that require a big transistion to something with a no shoot on it so we have something to compare times with. How would you even track your progress without knowing other good shooters times? Is there a standard somewhere I haven't seen?

Or something like transistions you just track your progress compared to yourself?
    I think the trick is finding some of the tougher USPSA classifiers and working back from various hit-factor cut offs to figure out what the timing component should be...

A few I could recommend:

Six http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/08-03.pdf

Bang and Clang http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/99-62.pdf

Front Sight http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/99-23.pdf

Front Sight 2 http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/99-24.pdf

Hillbillton Drill http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/99-28.pdf

When I practice these, for the most part, I set the steel to not fall...

Gabe that mouse/computer analogy is freaking brilliant!!! Makes a lot more sense now.

Talions, the head out running the gun thing is kinda hard for me to put to words. On shorter transistions even though I break the sight picture it's like the gun never leaves my vision and doesn't take much effort to get back on the sights, almost like they stay semi aligned the whole time. On longer stuff the separation is larger (between gun/eyes) and it takes a lot more time to get back on the sights. And if I just try and move the gun faster I just overshoot the target and end up coming back, or I come to a bobbly stop if that makes sense.
    i used to wannabe

Regarding wide transitions:

I've a question that I have thought was related to transitions so I hope it's not too off topic but here goes.

I've come across USPSA shooters that value pursuing an equal split/gap of time; between their multiple shots on one target, with the time to transition and fire the next shot on a subsequent target.

I've never really grasped why that would be important considering the infinite variables of target distances, spacing, potential movement during.

What's up with that?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List