Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Federal 9mm HST redesign

Federal 9mm HST redesign

Just a question, as Federal has changed it's packaging from the golden box to the new design.

Has bullet performance changed too? I think it was here that somebody wrote that the 147gr. load's bullet design was changed.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Short answer: 147gr changed to increase performance in auto glass testing but now expands less robustly. Penetration is still good. "Old" ammo has one cannelure if you pull a bullet. "New" has two. If there are any new new changes, I don't know.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Short answer: 147gr changed to increase performance in auto glass testing but now expands less robustly. Penetration is still good. "Old" ammo has one cannelure if you pull a bullet. "New" has two. If there are any new new changes, I don't know.
    This is what I use. Is the new HST on Doc's list?
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Here is my testing of the newer 147 gr HST vs the 124 gr+p HST in different mediums. Read pages 16-19.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ty-Load/page16

Thanks! Also, my old stash has no visible sealing lacquer, while the new one has green visible one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Apparently not, since his list here on P-F was last edited in 2016. I'm currently using the 124-grain +P version from new boxes; I don't know if it's been changed and don't plan on switching if it has. I really think we're in "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" territory here.

From his posting on service caliber ammo:

The keys are:

-- Cultivate a warrior mindset
    -- Invest in competent, thorough initial training and then maintain skills with regular ongoing practice
    -- Acquire a reliable and durable weapon system
    -- Purchase a consistent, robust performing duty/self-defense load in sufficient quantities (at least 1000 rounds) then STOP worrying about the nuances of handgun ammunition terminal performance.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I'm currently using the 124-grain +P version from new boxes; I don't know if it's been changed and don't plan on switching if it has.
    That's our current duty load and it has been working as expected.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I want a box to pull the bullets and load them to 1250fps for my .357s

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I want a box to pull the bullets and load them to 1250fps for my .357s
    Given that .357 bullets are usually .358 diameter and 9mm bullets are usually .355 or .356, that may or may not work well in terms of accuracy, depending on what your barrel(s) like. Not saying don't try it, just that you'll have to test it out in order to determine whether it actually works well. Also I suppose there's some possibility that adding 2-300 FPS may put the bullets outside of their designed-for velocity window and negatively impact expansion and/or penetration - again, something to test.

As noted, "new" HST still works fine, but a bit less expansion in order to optimize barrier penetration.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List