Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite weapons

"Be proficient in violence, regardless of circumstances."
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Just to be clear, I certainly have favorite weapons as well. My point in posting was not to say we should all be warrior monks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Just to be clear, I certainly have favorite weapons as well. My point in posting was not to say we should all be warrior monks.
    But the zen of that is so ... warrior-operator-zen master zenny!

The reading and interpretation of pre-pre-reform Japanese script is one thing, and the translation of that into modern English is yet another. If there is value in the passage, I think much of it lies deeper than a shallow literal reading of whatever the popular translation is.

It's basically feudal Japanese for "be multidisciplinary as fuck".
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I'm with ya D, but there is a huge difference between Your camp and the others.
    Wait, wait, wait...so you guys are saying I shouldn't open carry a makarov in an uncle mike's holster? Because...Book of Five Rings.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I get the impression from some recent posters that this is their normal way of training...
    This is gold...

The idea of favorite weapons, in the sense of "I can't or won't use any but these" is unrealistic.

John Farnam often incorporated a battlefield pickup drill in his classes to counterbalance any student tendencies in that direction.

Nonetheless, the point deserves to be made that personally owned and tuned sidearms CAN be more reliable and more accurate & precise (specifically from having the sights adjusted to your own eyes) for the owner, than any random or "found" weapon.

While I agree that we ought to be able to run pretty much any pistol and achieve reasonable success at hitting within reasonably short ranges, it's definitely the case that long range or more difficult (small target area) shots are not something I'd attempt with confidence using a "strange", untried gun.
    Last edited by SAWBONES; 05-28-2016 at 08:17 AM.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I've thought that way for decades. Don't remember when I read Five Rings the first time, elementary school age maybe.

This sort of thing is why BS like "You gotta have a.... or you'll get killed in da streetz!" pisses me off so bad when idiots spout it. Being gear centric in thinking sets one up for failure immediately if said gear is not available.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    "Do not try and shoot the gun. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth."

"What truth?"

"There is no gun."

"There is no gun?"

"Then you'll see, that it is not the gun that shoots, it is only yourself."

(This thread just reminded me of this...)
    Last edited by Tamara; 05-28-2016 at 09:27 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List