Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MPX Pistol with SB Collapsing Brace Approved

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    To the best of my knowledge, cheek welding is fine. Shouldering is supposedly the no-no.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by BES View Post
    Really surprised that this was approved! This configuration has me seriously interested in an MPX pistol now. I'd really like to have something extremely compact for the house and truck like this. From what I've read and been advised by those more knowledgeable than me, it seems that a 9mm pistol PDW would be a better choice than a pistol AR in 5.56. Also easier to operate by someone with limited skill in a defensive situation, like a family member, than a handgun. Thoughts or suggestions ?

Attachment 8124Attachment 8125Attachment 8126
    May as well apply for an SBR stamp at time of purchase and do it right the first time.

This is an ATF "Rule Change" time bomb, likely to go off around Janurary of 2017 or thereabouts. I doubt a Clinton 2.0 administration will permit grandfathering or a waiting period in that event.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    My first and foremost concern is that what the ATF proves today, could be rescinded tomorrow.
    This, this, a thousand times, THIS!

Have we all forgotten that, not too terribly long ago, shouldering the Sig Brace was A-OK with the compliance branch? Then a ridiculous number of f-tards flooded the ATF with "what about my gun?" questions until they finally reversed themselves, and said "screw you all - no shouldering the brace." "Cheek weld?" Really? I think the ATF has made itself clear that the brace is only a brace when it's used as a brace. On the arm.

But, it is a lot more fun to watch someone else get arrested and charged on NFA violations so we can collectively argue how many angels can dance on the head of a pin...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    The NFA branch has repeatedly said that these braces are legal only if used for their design purpose; as arm braces. The minute you mount this thing like a rifle, you have created an illegal SBR. Photos like the guy shooting above could be used as evidence of a federal crime. I know a Class III dealer who will not let customers shoulder-mount these guns in his store; he's been told by ATF that if someone shoulder mounts one of these, then hands it to him, he has received an illegal firearm.
    Do I need to get my Glocks SBR'd everytime I shoot one from retention?

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Do I need to get my Glocks SBR'd everytime I shoot one from retention?
    Not until 278,000 internet ninjas send that question, along with photos and videos, to the compliance branch. Then, who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Not until 278,000 internet ninjas send that question, along with photos and videos, to the compliance branch. Then, who knows...
    Meh, I just checked, theres a small small gap between the side of my ribs and the grip so I'm good.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the ATF is concerned with modification of an existing firearm. The AR pistol has a receiver extension as part of its design. I would guess you can shoot it any way you want to. Any addition to, or modification of, the buffer tube that creates what the ATF could interpret as a buttstock turns your pistol into a rifle.

It is absolutely amazing that the difference between a perfectly lawful activity and a felony is whether the "brace" touches the shoulder or (perhaps--we'll tell you after we arrest you) there is a check weld.

It is even more amazing that a permissible check weld today can become a felony tomorrow because of the administrative guidance of a mid-level civil servant.

What this whole discussion tells me (again) is that we are losing our country. Americans never used to have to fear prosecution and jail because they didn't have a permissible check weld or a part of a gun touched their shoulder. And we shouldn't have to fear them now, even if the right to keep and bear arms was not Constitutionally enshrined. The fact that the second amendment exists makes this situation even more outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    ...It is even more amazing that a permissible check weld today can become a felony tomorrow because of the administrative guidance of a mid-level civil servant.

What this whole discussion tells me (again) is that we are losing our country...
    All I have to say is this: 11/08/16. Think it's bad now?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    All I have to say is this: 11/08/16. Think it's bad now?
    Yeah, imagine what it would be like with an anti-gun administration that vows to use every unilateral power the Executive Branch has to go after guns.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List