Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Officer gives active shooter ample warning as the shooter reloads

That's actually on my bucket list of classes I really want to attend. Now I just have to talk the dept into it. They've sent me to a couple of UoF investigation/instructor classes already so I'll have some convincing to do. Especially now with the budget and manpower issues we are having.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

The elephant in the room is many (most?) LE folks are just not mentally prepared to pull the trigger without hesitation as needed. Proper training helps, but there are a lot of people walking around in uniforms today that would just stand there and die. They have just never come to grips that "it" could happen to them. "It" always happens to someone else, so they are totally and completely unprepared mentally. So they do nothing...

We're in a much changed law enforcement environment. The change began after the Rodney King arrest. (Rodney King wasn't beaten. He was arrested. Rodney King wasn't a motorist. He was a dangerous, fleeing felon.) Sadly, even Daryl Gates initially condemned his cops. When he did a 180, it was too late. Tom Bradley hated Gates. He intentionally misrepresented the Rodney King arrest in order to lay the foundation to oust Gates. Bradley, who was nothing more than a petty criminal who escalated his criminal status by inciting a riot in violation of California Penal Code Section 404.6 (a). His actions were the proximate cause of murders, which should have made him good as principal to murders. The point is, the gamed legal system was willing to railroad 4 innocent cops in order for Bradley to oust Gates. Gates was insulated by the police commission, which denied Bradley control over him, which forced Bradley to game the King arrest in order to force Gates out.

At the beginning of the Rodney King Riots, cops did not carry batons. This was the direct consequence of dirtbag prosectors prosecuting innocent cops for political expediency. I was assigned to the Rodney King Riots for three days on a mutual aid agreement. What LAPD cops told me about the deterioration of what once the preeminent law enforcement agency in the nation was appalling. And politicians and dirtbag prosecutors caused it for expediency.

After the arrests of 4 innocent cops for arresting Rodney King, LAPD cops surrendered the city to dirtbags. Cops were not willing to risk their careers, pensions, and freedom by doing what they were hired to do. LAPD cops went 10-8 and only answered calls for service. Many years ago, after the riots and with Willie Williams as chief, I told a very liberal college professor that if LA were to once again become safe, it was going to have to hire a chief who was more like Daryl Gates than Daryl Gates was like Daryl Gates. To his credit, he did change his mind, that 4 cops were sacrificed for political expediency. He was a liberal college professor who was willing to admit that logic and reason forced him to conclude he had been wrong. Bratton was hired. He told cops that he'd back them if they intended to do the right thing but it turned out wrong. With cops believing in Bratton, they went 10-8 and took the city back from dirtbags.

Sadly, the new norm is prosecuting cops for doing their jobs. Media is more untrustworthy as any tweaker. They'll take a use of force incident and narrate it without modicum of science of officer safety/officer survival. Joe Public sees it on TV, has no knowledge of law enforcement procedure, and believes it. Prosecutors, who love to call themselves law enforcement practitioners on the side of cops, will ruin a cop's life for expediency. We need a law that makes a prosecutor guilty of felony legal process kidnapping when they use the "legal system" to arrest and prosecute innocent cops for political expediency. I never much trusted prosecutors even when I was a sworn cop. Judges are every bit as unscrupulous. The thin black line of shear black nylon is true, while the thin blue line is media BS. I've personally known more than a few judges who should've been removed from benches. I've known judges who should've done prison time. I even know a judge who was good for child molest. His homies covered from him. I'm related to the lawyer that defended that judge.

Because of this era of illegitimately prosecuting cops for doing their jobs, they are learning that they cannot trust politicians, any lawyer (including prosecutors), and judges. Cops have to work in an environment of fear of their careers, pensions, and freedom. If Obama, or Holder, or Al Sharpton, or Jesse Jackson, or any other black politician or activist had been Officer Wilson, they'd of shot Michael Brown, too. Brown was a dangerous felon who had just committed robbery. That coward prosecutor forced Officer Wilson into a Grand Jury proceeding for expediency. That prosecutor should have been Mike Nifonged. The right thing for that prosecutor to have done, assuming, of course, that justice is still the objective of American jurisprudence, would have been to defend the legal action of Officer Wilson. But he didn't. He proved that justice is not the objective of American jurisprudence. Expediency is.

A few weeks ago a cop told me he cited a LA County judge who thought he had something coming. After he told the cop that he was a judge, he had expected courtesy. He was indignant that the cop cited him. I'd of cited him, too. And the same is true for prosecutors, for I know that a prosecutor will feign loyalty to cops when in reality he'd prosecute an innocent one in a New York second for political expediency.

The rationale for judicial and prosecutorial immunity is spurious. It must be removed. Cops, physicians, and paramedics have to act within nanoseconds and without luxury of deliberation. They can be sued for their actions. Prosecutors and judges have luxury of deliberation. If they can't get it right after careful deliberation, they ought to be sued. Where political prosecutions can be proved, they ought to be liable for punitive damages.

When I was 10-8, it was a fun job. A true profession accords practitioners wide discretion. The absence of discretion implicates lack of professionalism. When I went 10-8, we were trusted to act according to law. No one reviewed our arrests. We rarely saw a sam unit. We had discretion of how we resolved our calls. We knew who needed to go to jail and who didin't. We were expected to do our jobs according to law and departmental policies and procedures. Now cops are second guessed. They can't go Code-7 without having to worry that they might be in violation of something. The consequence of removal of discretion and micromanagement will produce -and has produced- the opposite effect: cops will go 10-8 and only answer calls for service. This is the consequence of politicians, prosecutors, and judges pursuing an agenda inconsistent with justice that was once the foundation of American jurisprudence. Our justice system now resembles that of a totalitarian country. Cops will merely react to what they observe.

Cops should not be second guessed when they're confronted with survival. They should not have to worry whether their dropping a hammer on an armed and threatening suspect will cost them their careers, their pensions, and their freedom.

This is not intended to be a political endorsement. However, I do believe Donald Trump. He knows that cops are treated unfairly. I don't think he'll pull a Bush 41 and prosecute innocent cops for expediency. I do expect him to say, "Listen, Black Lives Matter dirtbag, the cop acted within law when he shot that armed, dangerous dirtbag who placed the cop's life in danger. Get the hell over it."

I don't know what happened in the circumstance that is basis for this thread. But we have to consider whether the cop involved was thinking that even if he acted within law that he could be persecuted for expediency.

I'm good with investigating officer involved shootings. I am not good, in fact, I'm pi$sed off to no end, when a cop shoots a dirtbag and an unprofessional media spins an illegitimate fantasy. And Black Lives Matter is nothing more that a criminal street gang as defined by California Penal Code Section 186.22. Black Lives Matter ought to be designated a street gang. But don't hold your breath. There isn't a California prosecutor who'll have Black Lives Matters designated a street gang. Black Lives Matter dirtbags are of a protected class. Cops are not. Prosecutors will go after innocent cops for expediency. Black Lives Matter bangers can commit all the crimes they want with impunity.

I used to love going 10-8. I'm not sure I would under the current climate that rains acid upon cops who are doing what we want them to do: keep us safe from the Michale Browns of our country.

When cops are confronted by dangerous suspects, their only thoughts ought to be survival.
    Last edited by SansSouci; 06-03-2016 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    The elephant in the room is many (most?) LE folks are just not mentally prepared to pull the trigger without hesitation as needed. Proper training helps, but there are a lot of people walking around in uniforms today that would just stand there and die. They have just never come to grips that "it" could happen to them. "It" always happens to someone else, so they are totally and completely unprepared mentally. So they do nothing...
    I concur. This seems to be a pretty good example of it.

User Tag List