Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TLG 2012-2013 SA/Warren 9 mm 1911 test pistol re-visited

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Steel frame 9 mm 1911 does not generate much recoil (although the M&P9 feels "softer" shooting"), so I think I'll just keeps the comps on the G19's...]
    You are missing an opportunity to create the Gary Special.

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of this rig, shoot the crap out of it and don't baby it on the maintenance, just as Todd would have. It will be interesting to hear what you think reference the Glock, once you have had a chance to run some known timed drills.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    What sort of mags will you be running?

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Love arched MSH and GI triggers, wish they were more abundant.
    +1! Not sure why this configuration fell out of favor so heavily.

To DocGKR...

Those are some GREAT looking pistols!
    Last edited by rauchman; 05-24-2016 at 01:20 PM.

Very cool. Just curious; are you shooting this in addition to Glock or instead of for awhile? What brought you back to 1911s?

I have essentially shot nothing but G19's for over a year now and will keep doing so for the foreseeable future (ie. as long as lawfully possessed magazines greater than 10 rds are not prohibited in California).

Before Todd got too sick, he and I were discussing a variety of items, including whether a 9 mm 1911 would run with the mass of an RDS hanging on the slide. Todd's pistol continues to run with the same magazines he was using--primarily Wilson ETM.

In addition, we conjectured that in a day when folks have to spend lots of money and do lots of tinkering to get their polymer wonder pistols to run right, then a custom 1911 seems like a more reasonable option.

Finally, in illogical times when magazines larger than 10 rds get inanely banned, then single stack 1911's also make a lot more sense.

This project is simply a continuation of those musings; I miss Todd and this is a way for me to still feel connected to him.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    This thread is a winner.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I have essentially shot nothing but G19's for over a year now and will keep doing so for the foreseeable future (ie. as long as lawfully possessed magazines greater than 10 rds are not prohibited in California).

Before Todd got too sick, he and I were discussing a variety of items, including whether a 9 mm 1911 would run with the mass of an RDS hanging on the slide. Todd's pistol continues to run with the same magazines he was using--primarily Wilson ETM.

In addition, we conjectured that in a day when folks have to spend lots of money and do lots of tinkering to get their polymer wonder pistols to run right, then a custom 1911 seems like a more reasonable option.

Finally, in illogical times when magazines larger than 10 rds get inanely banned, then single stack 1911's also make a lot more sense.

This project is simply a continuation of those musings; I miss Todd and this is a way for me to still feel connected to him.
    I'm glad the gun went to you, dude.

Todd and I had some of the same conversations. Everybody is buying $500 Glocks and then doing hundreds or possibly thousands of dollars worth of upgrades to them, many of which compromise the reliability of the gun in some way or another...but the 1911 is still expensive and unreliable? Meanwhile Glock ships guns that don't work so good out of the box and yet somehow they are still reliable?

Damn.

I miss spending hours talking about that kind of stuff with Todd.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 05-25-2016 at 11:27 AM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I'm glad the gun went to you, dude.

Todd and I had some of the same conversations. Everybody is buying $500 Glocks and then doing hundreds or possibly thousands of dollars worth of upgrades to them, many of which compromise the reliability of the gun in some way or another...but the 1911 is still expensive and unreliable? Meanwhile Glock ships guns that don't work so good out of the box and yet somehow they are still reliable?

Damn.

I miss spending hours talking about that kind of stuff with Todd.
    Wish I had more friends to talk about this shit with. Most just get mad at me lol

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Enjoy your pistol.

Happy to answer the questions, but while I will enjoy shooting it, the pistol is Todd's--I am just helping him care for it while he is away...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List