Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TLG 2012-2013 SA/Warren 9 mm 1911 test pistol re-visited

TLG 2012-2013 SA/Warren 9 mm 1911 test pistol re-visited

Some of you may remember TLG's "grey" back-up gun from the 2012-2013 9 mm SA/Warren 1911 endurance test, as noted in these older posts: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....field-9mm-1911 and http://pistol-training.com/archives/6936. Recently that pistol had an RMR06 added to it thanks to Mark Housel at L&M Precision: http://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/.

Despite the new RDS, the pistol has functioned flawlessly over the first few hundred rounds of typical 147 gr ammunition. Accuracy is quite acceptable, as shown in the target below, which was recorded during the initial RDS zeroing--I suspect the pistol is capable of better group sizes once the sight is fully dialed in:

During the 25 years I primarily carried a .45 Auto 1911, all my personally owned pistols had iron sights, flat mainspring housings, and long triggers. Since transitioning to only using RDS equipped pistols, I have noted that RDS equipped 1911's point and shoot much better for me when using an arched mainspring housing and short triggers--I suspect those will be added to this pistol in the near future, much like with the 1911 below:

Last edited by DocGKR; 05-24-2016 at 02:03 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Re: The short trigger and arched mainspring housing, is it the RDS it self or simply that you are used to running the RDS on Glocks ?

Are you using different trigger finger placement ?

I ask as I am primarily shooting Glocks with the first crease of my finger and wondered if using a short 1911 trigger with similar trigger finger placement would be advantageous in going back and forth between the 1911 and the Glock?

Love arched MSH and GI triggers, wish they were more abundant.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Awesome, thank you for sharing this, Doc!
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Love arched MSH and GI triggers, wish they were more abundant.
    Think Colt Series 70.....

And thanks, Gary.

Best, Jon

That's awesome, thanks for sharing this. I now have the urge to get an RMR'd 9mm 1911 as a BBQ/Fun gun.

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    That's awesome, thanks for sharing this. I now have the urge to get an RMR'd 9mm 1911 as a BBQ/Fun gun.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

What about a comp? Might not do a lot with 147gr standard pressure ammo (or maybe it would), but 124gr +p might work well with it.

On the arched mainspring housing - do you think the more raked-forward, Glock-like grip angle helps you keep the dot in the window?
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

The dot seems to sit a bit low on initial presentation with a flat MSH, the arched one corrects that issue. Does not seem to matter whether I had been primarily shooting a Glock that year or an M&P. Short trigger works better for me when using an arched MSH. Steel frame 9 mm 1911 does not generate much recoil (although the M&P9 feels "softer" shooting"), so I think I'll just keeps the comps on the G19's...

Last edited by DocGKR; 05-24-2016 at 10:46 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Very cool Doc. Looking forward to you wringing it out.

User Tag List