Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Snake Gun

Site Supporter
    Bats can eat a lot of mosquitos every hour.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    We try to keep them around for that very reason.

I live in southern Az. and when we go quail hunting we get into some really thick underbrush trying to find down birds. Every once in a while a rattler will be found. I have a little NAA .22mag revolver with snake shot and it dispatches them right well. Probably shooting ten feet or under, kills them right now if you get them in the head. The gun is small and easily manageable in the thickets.

Having grown up in Copperhead & Water Mocassin country, I always preferred something that fired a pattern of fine shot over a single projectile because most of the time I've encountered pit vipers that I decided needed shooting, I was up close & there were usually a lot of rocks about. #7-#12 pellet richochets are a lot less lethal (although not pleasant). Having said that, my dear deceased moms killed well over 100 copperheads with a shovel. If it was something that needed shooting, she'd hollar at me, but Musashi didn't have anything on mom when it came to snake killing.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 05-28-2016 at 01:57 PM.

Site Supporter
    Shovels and garden hoes were the weapons of choice for copperheads and water moccasins in my part of NC when I was a kid. Ammo was too expensive to waste on snakes...

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    One of the coolest academic lectures I've ever seen was a study attempting to understand how the various colonies around Austin of Mexican Free-Tailed Bats locate huge swarms of insects tens, twenty, sometimes as far away as a hundred miles, to feed on. And that in a single night a swarm of insects so thick it would show up on a low-level radar could be eliminated by a single colony of bats that find them. It was awesome.

Seriously, bats and lizards do far more to control insect populations than folks A) Appreciate and B) We can even begin to comprehend. I just remember walking away from that talk thinking, "Damn...I don't know anything about biology."

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    One of the coolest academic lectures I've ever seen was a study attempting to understand how the various colonies around Austin of Mexican Free-Tailed Bats locate huge swarms of insects tens, twenty, sometimes as far away as a hundred miles, to feed on. And that in a single night a swarm of insects so thick it would show up on a low-level radar could be eliminated by a single colony of bats that find them. It was awesome.
    That's new (and very cool) info to me. Thanks for posting it! Learning stuff is cool.

Seriously, bats and lizards do far more to control insect populations than folks A) Appreciate and B) We can even begin to comprehend.
    No surprise to anyone who has ever kept a gecko/bearded dragon/other lizard as a pet. They can eat a LOT of feeder crickets/mealworms/dubia roaches in a big hurry, especially as juveniles when they're converting calories into growth as fast as they can metabolize them.

Snake Dog "I wasn't bred for looks, I was bred to bang. I wasn't bred for size, I was bred for the game. I wasn't bred for color, I was bred to be game. My offspring is game, and I expect the same."
    Name:  13233099_1076919955702796_6278829641784725689_n.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  68.5 KB

User Tag List