Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Glock Triggers

I use Glock (-) connectors in all my standard and large frame Glocks. All my carry Glocks, G19 Gen 4 and G43, have all OEM parts except for the Ghost EDGE connector in the G43s. I have put reduced power safety plunger springs in those Glock pistols I do not carry. I have also put increased power trigger springs in those Glock pistols I do not carry. I understand Stock Glock pistols use 5.5# striker springs in order to fire ammo from all over the world. I have tried a 5# WOLFF spring in a G17 Gen 4 (with a GLOCKTRIGGERS.COM Guardian trigger kit), so far so good. I have tried a 4.5# WOLFF spring in a G35, so far so good. I have not yet tried a 4# striker spring. I always fire ammo made in the USA. I have Ghost EDGE connectors in my G42 and G43 pistols.
    Last edited by Little Creek; 05-26-2016 at 07:56 AM.

Here's a thought exercise.

Bad guy tries to assault you on a deserted city street .You shoot in self defense.

LE arrives. Turns out it was a masked, teenage black girl with a toy gun. BLM gets the story and blows it up online.

Still want your carry Glock to have an aftermarket , lightened trigger?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Negligent discharges occur when the basic 4 safety rules are ignored. If your finger is on the trigger when you don't intend to shoot, then what difference does the weight of the trigger pull make. Many Federal, State, and local government agencies do not use Stock Glock Triggers (5.5# I think). They spec their own trigger weight or connector and the manafacturor has to bid the contract that way, if they want to win it. All things being equal, is it easier to manage a lighter trigger as opposed to a heavier trigger? There are expert witnesses on both sides of the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post

Bad guy tries to assault you on a deserted city street .You shoot in self defense.

LE arrives. Turns out it was a masked, teenage black girl with a toy gun. BLM gets the story and blows it up online.

Don't care/doesn't matter, I didn't shoot her negligently by pulling the trigger when I didn't want to

I honestly don't think that would matter one bit. What's done is done. You are already up the creek ....

Come on. That's never going to happen to me.

Jk. Totally agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Here's another thought exercise. Do you know of any cases where a lightened trigger came into play at trial? I don't recall reading about a lightened trigger in a shooting. And I read about shootings in the news every day. I do remember reading about Officer Liang's heavier trigger on his Glock, though.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Here's another thought exercise. Do you know of any cases where a lightened trigger came into play at trial? I don't recall reading about a lightened trigger in a shooting. And I read about shootings in the news every day. I do remember reading about Officer Liang's heavier trigger on his Glock, though.
    From the article:

The NYPD’s Glock has more than twice the trigger resistance of the model sold to the public. The trigger also has what Glock calls its Safe Action System, an extra button designed to keep the gun “always safe and always ready”—free from the sort of accidental slip of the finger that Liang described. After clicking and pulling it themselves, jurors decided that Liang had lied. “It was very hard to pull the trigger,” Screen said. After that, “we knew his testimony wasn’t completely true.”

My take on aftermarket triggers in carry guns:

1) It's all fun and games until your weapon in evidence in a trial.
    2) Don't do things to firearms that
    a) the manufacturer deems unsafe;
    b) does not have a preponderance of well respected authorities endorsing same;
    c) that raises known safety issues.
    3) Do not get involved in things that do not involve you.

The trigger issue is centered around negligence as a way to defeat a claim of self defense. Self defense is a justification defense to conduct that is a criminal act (justified under the circumstances making it self defense).

A lightened trigger or modifications that give rise to the possibility of unintended discharges acts to open the door to an accusation of negligence with can undercut a claim of self defense.

You cannot use a justification defense to an action you did not intend.

Thus, avoid the issue by either keeping the gun stock or using only modification that are factory approved or have a preponderance of well respected authorities endorsing same.

Are there court cases where this has been an issue?

Dave Spaulding has said that he doesn't see a lightened trigger as an issue in court.

Don't we lighten triggers so we are less likely to miss? Isn't not missing a good thing?

I hear that lightened triggers on serious guns is a bad thing, but I never read about them being an issue in a court case.

We had a guy down here have a ND on duty which resulted in death. There was an aftermarket trigger in the Glock. It was discussed by LSP972 and others on here. I'll try to find a link.

JR1572

User Tag List