Thread: Bear Defense w AR10/Pistol/SBR, GJM et al?

Bear Defense w AR10/Pistol/SBR, GJM et al?

Was at BAM yesterday killing time looking at gun mags and saw an article about a couple of AR Pistols. One a suppressed .300 BO w 7.5 bbl and the other a 12.5 .358 Winchester!

The latter caught my attention!

A KAK bbl, Tennessee Firearms poly lower, Aero Upper and DD goodies were used. 7.5 lb. and chronoed 2100 fps w 200 grainers.

Aha, methinks, let us toss this around on P-F where some members actually reside and have experience.

Me, I'm just a .358 fiend and my thoughts immediately went to Proof Research barrels and titanium goodies to get weight down.

Would 20 rounds of Barnes .358s or .338s (Federal) be GTG for bear defense in a 6 lb. AR?

I know Frank Hamer did good work on a couple psychopaths in Louisiana with similar ballistics and they were inside a car made of actual steel...
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 05-22-2016 at 09:15 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Sometimes my wife carries a .300 blk AR pistol because it is so light and handy, but I think a 14 inch shotty would be mo better in that weight class.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Does she use the 220 subsonics?

My thinking was more BBs, better penetration, with the .358.

The rifle loony in me also thinks a similar .260 w Lapua Naturalis might punch even deeper.

Will admit your thinking almost made me grab an M2 Field 26 in. at a pawnshop recently to fool around with. Not worried about bear here. Closest ones are more than 50 miles away...and much smaller.
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 05-22-2016 at 10:02 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

I have zero bear defense experience, but subsonic ammunition is generally used for offensive purposes, not defensive.

That, and I would think being as loud as possible would be a plus in a bear charge.

We use the Barnes supersonic loads.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List