Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Illinois State Police 9mm 115 GR +p+

Illinois State Police used the Winchester version and it would clock over 1350 fps in the early 90's from their 4" S&W autos.

http://winchesterle.com/Products/han.../RA9115HP.aspx
    Last edited by Velo Dog; 05-21-2016 at 10:06 AM.

If I remember correctly, they then moved to the BPLE because the Winchester version was battering their guns. Or was that another agency?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The more recent BPLE that I've shot has been a bit downloaded. Recoil was really moderate.
    I've found this to be the case as well. One thing about BPLE is I've never had any problem in getting it to feed, whereas I have had feeding problems in various pistols with some more modern rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Or was that another agency?
    I'm pretty sure Winchester was issued exclusively until they switched to .40 caliber Glocks. I am not aware of any widespread complaints concerning the terminal effects of the 9mm +P+ or weapon durability.

My google fu is weak and thus found nothing trying to search for that info, but I do remember reading about an agency in the early 90s switching from the Winchester load to the BPLE because somehow the round either did batter the guns (or was anticipated to batter the guns? or wasn't as reliable?). The effectiveness of the round on bad guys never was in question though.

Maybe someone with more extensive historical knowledge could fill us in?

The velocity of the Winchester load was reduced in the later years.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    I'm pretty sure Winchester was issued exclusively until they switched to .40 caliber Glocks. I am not aware of any widespread complaints concerning the terminal effects of the 9mm +P+ or weapon durability.
    I'm 99% sure that is correct. ISP used Winchester, at least partially, because Olin manufactured it in Alton, IL.

Quote Originally Posted by minengr View Post
    I'm 99% sure that is correct. ISP used Winchester, at least partially, because Olin manufactured it in Alton, IL.
    Just check with a buddy on the ISP. G-22 & Winchesters are still the standard.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by md8232 View Post
    Just check with a buddy on the ISP. G-22 & Winchesters are still the standard.
    ISP switched to G-22's around 1999. One of my buddies was part of the trials when they switched from S&W 39's and +P+ 9mm's to the .40 G-22.
    As to what ammo they are currently carrying, I don't know. I could send a text and know for sure, but it may be different depending on the district. I'm fairly certain it has changed a couple times since they switched from .40 to 9mm. The State of Illinois is horrible about paying their bills and some manufactures didn't take kindly to waiting for payment.

User Tag List