Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illinois State Police 9mm 115 GR +p+

Illinois State Police 9mm 115 GR +p+

I just picked up 500 rounds of the Federal 9BPLE 115 grain +p+ also known as the "Illinois State Police Load" for a very good price. I know back in the day (1990-2000) when I was an LEO in Illinois the ISP swore by it and they carried all steel guns (Smith & Wesson 5904 I believe). Is it still a viable round to carry and if so, would it be ok to shoot in a 1911 such as the Nighthawk T4?

Here is a pretty good discussion on this round.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?11541-9BPLE

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Here is a pretty good discussion on this round.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?11541-9BPLE
    Thank you, much appreciated

Is it viable? yes but it is outclassed by more modern designs (and the penetration is on the shallow side).

It would be ok to shoot in a T4, but the question is how much since this is a +P+ round and whether it would run well (since it is a +P+ round, the T4 has a short slide and I don't know how it's sprung). I would imagine a steel frame gun like that would handle a steady diet of +P+ but I would ask Nighthawk about it first since they know their guns best.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Is it viable? yes but it is outclassed by more modern designs (and the penetration is on the shallow side).

It would be ok to shoot in a T4, but the question is how much since this is a +P+ round and whether it would run well (since it is a +P+ round, the T4 has a short slide and I don't know how it's sprung). I would imagine a steel frame gun like that would handle a steady diet of +P+ but I would ask Nighthawk about it first since they know their guns best.
    Thank you. The T4 has a 3.8" barrel and the slide is a chopped Commander length. According to Nighthawk it was designed from the ground up as a 9mm 1911. Email sent (to Nighthawk) and I will report their response here as well.

Mike

I find its recoil very manageable. The lighter bullet tends to counter the pressure, per weapon function.

Site Supporter
    I found some really cheap a few years ago and bought 1000 rounds. May not be the best but the price was right for stocking up.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I found some really cheap a few years ago and bought 1000 rounds. May not be the best but the price was right for stocking up.
    I found it for $18.95 for a box of 50 and got free shipping so I bought 500 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I find its recoil very manageable. The lighter bullet tends to counter the pressure, per weapon function.

Ok good to know.

The more recent BPLE that I've shot has been a bit downloaded. Recoil was really moderate.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List