Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building an SBR

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Rather than buy the complete upper I want to build it from scratch so I was wondering if I should still get the BCM hammer forged or enhanced barrels or just get the standard.
    Hammer forged BFH will last longer.

The enhanced barrel has a taper profile like Noveske - heavy at the action tapering to the muzzle. I like it on my 16" Noveske recon - you get the advantages of a heavier barrel with out the nose heaviness of an HBAR or SOCCOM profile. Not sure the difference will be as noticeable on an 11.5".

Site Supporter
    PF Member Justintime has had good results with his an 11.5" Sionics upper.

Same boat as the OP, FWIW I'm looking at 11.5, Sionics barrel. I'm 20 min from Tucson for a couple days so gonna drop by them soon
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Interesting, however I want to be able to shoot the gun if it's not suppressed also. I think I'm just going to go with the standard BCM lightweight 11.5" and their BCG.
    I went down to see the Sionics guys today and ended up going with the reduced gas port. I asked about reliability unsuppressed and was told that it'll work fine with reasonably hot ammo (testing primarily with M193) but depending on how the rest of your rifle is setup, may have issues with the weaker (Wolf, Tula, PMC 223) stuff. Makes sense to me, and honestly the diameter of the gas port isn't even abnormally small anyway.

Here's a thread with more info: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....unction-report

I have my trust, I decided just to turn the rifle I've been upgrading into a SBR rather than build another from scratch. So now I've got some extra cash and of course it needs to be spent. That being said, what is a good suppressor under a grand? I'd prefer a QD type and hearing safe sound reduction.
    Last edited by 23JAZ; 05-26-2016 at 08:29 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have my trust, I decided just to turn the rifle I've been upgrading into a SBR rather than build another from scratch. So now I've got some extra cash and of course it needs to be spent. That being said, what is a good suppressor under a grand? I'd prefer a QD type and hearing safe sound reduction.
    Silencerco Omega or SPECWAR. If you are certain you won't have a .30 caliber rifle in the future, the SPECWAR 556K.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Silencerco Omega or SPECWAR. If you are certain you won't have a .30 caliber rifle in the future, the SPECWAR 556K.
    Nothing is for certain. Will the 30 cal can still reduce the volume to safe levels and keep good accuracy?

I have the Specwar 762. "Hearing safe" is completely subjective but it sounds just fine to me. At the time I bought it, it was the quietest option on the market.

It's also really long and really damn heavy. I don't have anything .30 cal to suppress and if I could go back and do it again I would've got the specwar 556.

Site Supporter
    Nothing is for certain. Will the 30 cal can still reduce the volume to safe levels and keep good accuracy?
    Yes, and with the Omega you can swap the .30 cal front cap for a 5.56 - that gives you a can which is quieter than a 5.56 can because it has greater volume.

The SPECWAR is a great can, you can swap the rear of the can for different mounting options but only the SAKER and the Omega have the swappable front caps in the Silencerco line.

User Tag List